Doctor Who: ArchAngel (UNFINISHED)

Doctor Who: ArchAngel (UNFINISHED)

A Screenplay by JBlanchard
"

An unfinished Doctor Who script I started and never bothered with again. Enjoy.

"

1. EXT. WESTMINSTER BRIDGE - LONDON - NIGHT

SOPHIA runs down the bridge, trying to escape an unseen attacker. It's snowing lightly.

TITLE CARD: 23rd December, 1899

She trips, stumbles in the snow. She drags herself over to railings, panting.

SOPHIA (V/O)

My name is Sophia DeFauna. I love to draw.

She reaches into her dress, and pulls out a piece of paper. On it, is a sketch of young boy, holding the hand of a little girl. She smiles at it.

SOPHIA (V/O)

Now my drawings want to kill me.

She looks up, down the bridge, and sees a statue of her drawing, the young boy and little girl, standing at the end, looking at her.

She gets up in a panic, stumbling backwards, but never taking her eyes off it. She keeps moving away.

SOPHIA (V/O)

They said that, once they found you, they never let you go. That your talent belonged to them. I didn't believe them. I should have.

She backs into something behind her. She turns around slowly, to see what it is. It's a Weeping Angel, bearing down on her, staring her right in the eye...

SOPHIA

(crying now)

I'm sorry, mother. I'm sorry...

And she disappears, leaving nothing but the snow behind...

TITLE SEQUENCE

2. INT. TARDIS - CONSOLE ROOM

THE DOCTOR sit of the steps, reading a book as the TARDIS moves through time. The book is 'Black Rose' by Amelia Williams; the cover is a teenage girl, holding a black coloured rose at arms length, which has snapping jaws. The Doctor's enjoying it.

What sounds like a text alert goes off from The Doctor's jacket, hanging on a railing. He jumps up, goes to it, pulls out his Psychic Paper, and reads what it says:

835 - 76523/FOGHORN

SEE YOU THERE, X

A huge grin spreads across The Doctor's face. He rushes off, pulling leavers on the console. The time rotor spins...

3. EXT. PHAESTER OSIRIS - SPACE

The TARDIS zooms towards the huge yellow planet.

4. EXT. DESERT - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

RIVER SONG mulls about the desert, taking readings on her hand held computer. She is wearing her white exploration suit, from 'Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead'. Around her are four other archaeologists: TANYA, JOHANN, GLEN, and PROFESSOR KNOX (all also wearing white suits).

TITLE CARD: Phaester Osiris, 51st Century

Knox goes up to hear.

KNOX

I bloody hate these suits. I'm sweating to death in here.

RIVER

University policy, I'm afraid, Professor.

KNOX

I never had you down as one for convention, Professor.

RIVER

Oh, it comes in handy.

KNOX

So where's this specialist of yours? Cutting it a little fine, isn't he? It'll be night in less than twelve hours.

RIVER

He'll be here. Besides, we're cutting it a little fine ourselves; I still haven't found anything on this.

KNOX

It's a one thousand foot pyramid, how hard can it be to find?

The sound of wheezing engines fills the air. River smiles; he's here.

RIVER

Well, it just got a whole lot easier.

She turns around, and there, standing on a rock, is The Doctor, beaming straight at her.

RIVER

Hello, sweetie.

THE DOCTOR

Glad to see you got started without me.

The Doctor jumps down from the rock, and heads over to River and Knox. Knox shakes his hand.

KNOX

Professor Oxford Knox, pleased to meet you.

THE DOCTOR

I'm The Doctor.

KNOX

I presume you're Professor Song's specialist?

THE DOCTOR

That I am. So, Phaester Osiris! Nice choice, but a lot to find.

RIVER

But we know just where to start.

Her computer beeps.

RIVER

(cont'd)

There! The pyramid, about two-

THE DOCTOR

Two miles due east.

RIVER

You know, undermining one another is never a good basis for a relationship.

THE DOCTOR

Sorry, dear.

KNOX

Sounds good enough to me. (to archaeologists) Pack up! We're moving out, due east.

The archaeologists pack up their equipment, begin to move over the dessert. The Doctor and River link arms, and head off in the same direction.

5. EXT. PYRAMID - DESERT - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

The Doctor, River and Archaeologists clamber over a rock face, and look out, to see...

The Pyramid. A huge Pyramid, with massive steps leading up to a huge door, its entrance. Two huge statues of Egyptian soldiers, wearing ornamental, animal themed head gear and carrying spears guard it.

Tanya gasps.

JOHANN

It's beautiful.

THE DOCTOR

Isn't it just.

GLEN

Have you been here before?

THE DOCTOR

Once. A long time ago, back when the Osirians ran the show. But now there's no one home. I guess everything has to end sometime.

KNOX

Let's go up. We'll see what we can find, then set up camp for the night. We've got enough supplies for five days, so we might as well take our time.

TANYA

I'll get a scan ready for the door.

The Doctor and River share a smile, and they all head towards the pyramid.

6. EXT. GALLERY - LONDON - NIGHT

JENNY is waiting in a queue for an art auction. She is wearing a fancy party frock, and shivering in the snow and cold. She is wearing an earpiece. A voice is heard through it... 

STRAX (O/S)

Will you hurry, girl! We haven't got all night!

VASTRA (O/S)

Shut up, Strax. She doesn't need you whining in her ear every two seconds.

JENNY

Thank you, Vastra.

VASTRA (O/S)

You're welcome Jenny.

JENNY

I'm nearly in.

Only one guest is between her and the DOORMAN. The Doorman lets the guest in, and Jenny moves up to him.

DOORMAN

Your name, please.

JENNY

(posh accent)

Catherine Peregrine.

The Doorman checks his list. Jenny bites her lip nervously, but the Doorman smiles, and lets her in.

DOORMAN

Enjoy your time, Ma'am.

Jenny nods, and enters.

8. INT. GALLERY - LONDON - NIGHT

The Gallery is full of people drinking and socialising, and looking at paintings. All the paintings are of angels in different poses. At the head of the room, is an auctioneers post. Jenny looks around in awe.

VASTRA (O/S)

Don't get distracted, Jenny. That's Strax's job.

There's an inaudible argument over the earpiece. Jenny suppresses a giggle.

EVE HAYTHEM, host of the gathering, enters, and heads for the podium. She is an older woman, but gorgeous, and wearing a preposterous blue dress. She stands on the podium, and gathers the rooms attention.

HAYTHEM

Hello! Good evening, everyone, and welcome to this very special auction! As you can see, the paintings around you are all very beautiful. That's because they were painted by the very beautiful, and very talented, students of the ArchAngel School of the Arts. This evening, we will be selling these painting, and donating eighty percent of the proceeds to the Christmas Patrons of the Poor fund. So, before I bore you all to death, I'll let our auctioneer take over. And remember, be generous! It's Christmas after all!

There's laughter, and applause, and Haythem modestly leaves the podium. A balding auctioneer steps in to take her place, and she leaves through a back door.

AUCTIONEER

Right, let's get started! Our first piece, lot 1, is called 'Angels in Leisure'! So, let's start at five pounds! Five pounds, thank you...

Jenny looks around, then sneaks out of the crowd. She heads to a door, checks she's not being watched, and heads through it...

9. INT. GALLERY - CORRIDOR - LONDON - NIGHT

Jenny clicks the door shut. Then, she rips off her dress, revealing that she's wearing her black, 'Catwoman' leathers. She reaches into the pile of fabric that was her dress and pulls out her sword.

JENNY

I'm in.

10. INT. CARRIAGE - LONDON - NIGHT

Vastra and Strax sit in the back of a carriage, listening to Jenny. Vastra has her trusty sword, and Strax is wearing a belt around his chest, with several revolvers attached, and a mask over his face.

VASTRA

Great! We'll be with you soon. (to Strax) Ready?

Strax picks up two revolvers, and pulls back both hammers. Vastra smiles.

11. INT. GALLERY - CORRIDOR - LONDON - NIGHT

Jenny rushes towards a window, opens it for Vastra. She rushes back, and starts feeling along the wall. She's looking for a secret door. There's a loud 'click' from behind her, and she freezes. Slowly she turns around, and sees...

A revolver, held mere inches away from her face. Holding it is Haythem, grinning from ear to ear.

HAYTHEM

And look who it is! Jenny Flint: Infiltration Extraodinaire! Although, doesn't your kind normally come in pairs? Or does your spouse often neglect you?

Jenny can't talk; she's shaking too much. She daren't take her eyes off the barrel.

HAYTHEM

(cont'd)

Oh, and she's left you again! You must hurt so much. Do you wonder if she misses you? Do you think she would miss you?

Jenny looks Haythem straight in the eye. The grin widens even further.

HAYTHEM

(cont'd)

Shall we find out?

Haythem goes to pull the trigger. Jenny braces herself.

12. EXT. PYRAMID - PHAESTER OSIRIS - HUGE DOOR - DAY

The Doctor, River and the Archaeologists are gathered around the huge door of the pyramid. Tanya is using her computer to scan the door, and The Doctor is offering help with his Sonic Screwdriver. River is scanning, too.

RIVER

This place is buzzing with psychic energy.

THE DOCTOR

It's what the Osirians used for power; their brains were incredible! With enough practise they could move entire mountains by thought alone. This Pyramid wasn't built by labour, it was willed into existence! Some say they were the descendants of gods from another universe. Others, the greatest piece of evolution in the history of the universe. Either way, they left in a hurry.

KNOX

So powerful...I wonder what happened to make them disappear...

THE DOCTOR

Sutekh happened.

KNOX

I thought that was a myth.

THE DOCTOR

You're the archaeologist.

TANYA

I've got it!

She pushes a few buttons, and the Pyramid rumbles! The door begins to slide upwards, and stops roughly a quarter of the way up (still plenty high enough for them to walk through). With smiles, they all enter the Pyramid...

13. INT. PYRAMID - CORRIDOR - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

The Pyramid is strangely lit; dark, and yet easy to see. It's full of wide corridors, leading off into other rooms, which are darker. Hieroglyphics line the walls. Yet more statues line the corridor, in various poses. 

JOHANN

My god...

THE DOCTOR

Be careful. There could booby-traps everywhere.

KNOX

Right. Let's split up, catalogue what we can in the time we have. The Doctor, Professor Song and I will check out this corridor. You lot take a room each. We'll meet back up in one hour. And keep your transponders on at all times.

They all start to head off in their appropriate directions.

TANYA

Hey, Glen! Not still scared of the dark, are you?

GLEN

Get lost, Tanya.

She laughs, and they enter their rooms. The Doctor and River go up to the hieroglyphics, whilst Knox inspects the statues. 

RIVER

Why aren't they translating?

THE DOCTOR

Osirian is incredibly complex. But the old girl's trying. Let's see...it seems to be called...'The Last Story', no...'Chronicle of Horus'.

KNOX

Fascinating...

THE DOCTOR

It's says..."We returned...after the long struggle...but they were already here...feasting on our remains..."

14. INT. PYRAMID - DARK ROOM - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

Tanya enters her room. It's too dark to see, so she switches on her torch. The room is full of more more statues, in an even wider variety of poses.

She pulls out her computer, and sets it to record. She shines her torch on the nearest statue, moving the light up it and recording with it. Her torch begins to flicker, then goes out...

TANYA

Oh, come on!

15. INT. PYRAMID - CORRIDOR - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

THE DOCTOR

"They had taken our ideas. Our form. They had taken everything."

KNOX

But who are they?

THE DOCTOR

"There was nothing left for us. So we left...again. To pursue anew. But be warned, venturers: they are fast. And deadly. And invulnerable. You may fear, and dream, and will an army of stone to defend yourself. But this is mere fuel. They will not stop. Or tire. You can only run. So heed this warning, O traveller. Run...as fast you can."

The Doctor, River and Knox all look to each other, but none have answers.

A scream! It echoes through the corridor, making the three start.

RIVER

Tanya!

They run to find her...

16. INT. PYRAMID - DARK ROOM - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

The Doctor, River and Knox run into the room. The Doctor is already scanning the room with his Screwdriver.

RIVER

Tanya! Tanya, where are you?!

KNOX

She's just dropped off the transponder map!

The Doctor knocks something with his foot. He looks down, and sees the torch and computer on the floor. He picks up the computer, hits the play button, and watches the recording. His face is grave.

RIVER

But...where's she gone?

THE DOCTOR

Give me your torch.

RIVER

What? Why?

THE DOCTOR

Give me your torch, and I'll show you where she's gone.

River throws him her torch. Johann runs in.

JOHANN

I heard screaming! Where...where's Tanya?

KNOX

She's just disappeared!

JOHANN

But...how?

THE DOCTOR

How, Johann? Like this.

The Doctor switches on the torch, illuminating the face of the statue that Tanya was investigating...

It's snarling! Bearing it's teeth like a vampire!

RIVER

No...no, not here...

THE DOCTOR

They're everywhere, River. Where ever there's food to be found, they'll be there.

KNOX

Why is its face like that?

THE DOCTOR

Because, Professor Knox, it's about to eat us. But on the plus side, I know who 'they' are now.

KNOX

Who?

The Doctor turns to him, his face like stone.

THE DOCTOR

The Weeping Angels.

17. INT. GALLERY - CORRIDOR - LONDON - NIGHT

Jenny flinches, ready for the blast. But the gun doesn't fire. She opens her eyes, to see...

Vastra! Holding her blade to Haythem's throat! Jenny breathes a sigh of relief.

VASTRA

Drop the gun.

Haythem does as she's told. Jenny draws her sword, and goes back to looking for the secret door. Haythem turns, slowly, to face Vastra, the sword at her throat all the time.

HAYTHEM

Nice of you to show up in person.

VASTRA

The painting you're selling out there are fakes.

HAYTHEM

Of course they're fakes! We couldn't risk putting the real ones out there, something might go wrong. But, rest assured, the buyers will receive the real items.

VASTRA

What do you mean, something might go wrong?

HAYTHEM

I thought you were the detective?

Vastra pushes the blade, a tiny amount. Haythem stiffens.

VASTRA

We've been following the ArchAngel School very closely. And we've noticed many of your students don't seem to come back. So, you might as well answer our questions, because we'll find out anyway.

HAYTHEM

These are very special paintings. And we're selling them. Because we need to expand our reach. We have London, but these paintings will be taken to all sorts of places: ancestral homes in Kent, castles in York, maybe even workhouses in the north. But that doesn't matter; what matters is the fact we're expanding our remit. And you can't stop the expansion of industry. No matter how hard you try.

Jenny touches part of a wall, and a panel clicks open.

JENNY

I've found it!

VASTRA

Thank you, Miss Haythem. Your collection will look lovely on our wall.

And she smacks Haythem in the face with the butt of her sword! Haythem crumples to the floor, unconscious.

Vastra and Jenny enter the secret room. On the floor, is a crate of paintings, covered in a sheet. Jenny picks it up.

JENNY

Once they realise it's gone, the whole city'll be swarming with peelers.

VASTRA

Don't worry; Strax is taking care of that.

18. EXT. LONDON STREET - LONDON - NIGHT

Ten, maybe twenty, policemen are chasing a horse down the street. The rider is...

Starx! He's galloping the horse, riding at full pelt, firing his revolvers into the air. And he's loving it!

19. INT. PYRAMID - CORRIDOR - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

The Doctor, River, Knox and Johann all pile out of the Dark Room and back into the corridor. The Doctor is Sonicking, and River has her Alpha-Meson Blaster drawn. Glen comes running towards them.

GLEN

What the hell's going on!

JOHANN

It's the statues! They're moving!

GLEN

What? Like...booby-traps?

JOHANN

No, Glen! They're alive!

The Doctor spots River. She's shaking, and a tear is rolling down her cheek.

THE DOCTOR

River. River, listen to me. It's going to be okay.

RIVER

And what about Rule One?

THE DOCTOR

(smiles) Rules are made to be be broken.

River is reassured; she returns his smile.

GLEN

I don't understand! They're just statues!

THE DOCTOR

Yes, Glen! Just statues! Just simple old statues, that made the Osirians abandon their planet!

All the colour drains from Glen's face. Suddenly, impossibly, the corridor goes dark...

The lights return, and three statues stand less than five meters away from the party, showing their claws and teeth.

RIVER

Why do they look like that? Like Osirians?

THE DOCTOR

You said yourself, this place is buzzing with psychic energy. That's what they're feeding on, and they're taking on the traits it holds. They're adapting, evolving, to their surrounding.

GLEN

I don't believe my eyes...

THE DOCTOR

You don't need to, Glen. They only move when you're not looking. We need to get out of here.

They run down the corridor, towards the exit. The light fades again, a scream. The light returns, Glen is gone; an Angel is stood where he used to be, gorging on something that isn't there.

Johann stumbles, shocked. He trips, falls into the doorway of one of the dark rooms. He's yanked inside, screaming.

The Doctor, River and Knox are nearly at the huge door.

KNOX

What are they! What the hell are they!

Knox goes to put his hand on the frame of the huge door. The Doctor sees him...

THE DOCTOR

Knox, don't!

But too late...

Knox puts his hand on the frame. Lightning rips through his body, tearing him apart. All that's left is ash, and his scream...

THE DOCTOR

(cont'd)

Booby-traps.

The Doctor bundles River out of the huge door...

20. EXT. PYRAMID - HUGE DOOR - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

The Doctor and River stumble through the huge door. The Doctor looks up at the huge guardian statues; their faces staring at him, bearing their teeth and claws. The Doctor shivers, and the both descend down a few stairs...

The Doctor looks out over the desert, shielding his eyes from the sun.

THE DOCTOR

The TARDIS is a good way away, but I think we can make it. The Angels are unlikely to leave the Pyramid; they wouldn't want to get isolated from such a good food source.

RIVER

Doctor...

THE DOCTOR

The terrain's a bit tricky, but if we're quick, I reckon we could-

RIVER

Doctor!

The Doctor turns, to see an Angel, holding River by throat. Tight.

THE DOCTOR

Oh no...

The Doctor moves closer, pulls out his Screwdriver, starts scanning.

THE DOCTOR

(cont'd)

Let her go!

RIVER

Shut up, you know damn well it can't.

THE DOCTOR

River...I...

River's crying now. Tears are running down her face, but she's holding herself together.

THE DOCTOR

(cont'd)

I should've killed them. I should've hunted down and exterminated every last Weeping Angel when I had the chance!

RIVER

Doctor...please...

The Doctor composes himself the best he can. Angry tears fill his face.

RIVER

(cont'd)

You know the only way out of this this.

THE DOCTOR

No.

RIVER

It might send me back.

THE DOCTOR

It might break your neck!

RIVER

Shut up! This is the only way, and you know it!

THE DOCTOR

River...I'm...I...

RIVER

Just do it. Please.

The Doctor straightens, clenches his jaw, but he can't stop the tears pouring down his face.

THE DOCTOR

I'll find you. I promise, on my life, River Song, I'll find you.

RIVER

You better.

River smiles through the tears at him. She closes her eyes.

The Doctor readies himself, one last time. And...

He blinks.

River is gone, the Angel leering at the space where she used to be.

The Doctor scans the area, then checks his screwdriver. He breathes deeply, and...

He runs down the huge flight of stairs.

21. EXT. DESERT - PHAESTER OSIRIS - DAY

The Doctors runs into the TARDIS.

22. INT. TARDIS - CONSOLE ROOM

The Doctor, dripping with sweat, slams his screwdriver into the console. He pushes buttons and pulls leavers, then looks at the scanner. Gallifreyan text is one the screen.

Steely faced, The Doctor pulls one more leaver, and the TARDIS sets off.

23. EXT. PATERNOSTER ROW - LONDON - NIGHT

Vastra and Jenny sneak through the street, still carrying the crate. The go up to the front door of Number 21. They enter...

24. INT. 21 PATERNOSTER ROW - HALL - LONDON - NIGHT

They enter. Vastra closes the door quickly. Strax is waiting by the wall.

STRAX

Where have you two been?

JENNY

I thought you were distracting the coppers?

STRAX

The constabulary is well and truly flummoxed, don't you worry.

JENNY

Here. (hands Strax crates) Take these to your basement.

STRAX

(takes crates) It's my War Room.

JENNY

It's a basement, Strax.

Strax huffs, then heads off down the hall. Vastra and Jenny unstrap their swords, and hang them on the wall.

JENNY

They ain't gonna let us keep those paintings.

VASTRA

I know. But at least we've got time to see what's so special about them.

They head into the living room.

25. INT. 21 PATERNOSTER ROW - LIVING ROOM - LONDON - NIGHT

The Doctor is sat in the room, in front of a large Christmas tree. His glasses are on, and he's reading 'Black Rose'.

Jenny and Vastra spot him.

VASTRA

Oh...

 

 

 

© 2014 JBlanchard


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

740 Views
Added on January 26, 2014
Last Updated on January 26, 2014
Tags: Doctor, Who, Doctor Who, River Song, Christmas, Paternoster Gang, victorian, weeping angels

Author

JBlanchard
JBlanchard

About
Misanthrope, social democrat, Doctor Who lover, and more optimistic than I like to let on. more..

Writing
The Fool The Fool

A Story by JBlanchard