WHY

WHY

A Story by Paul McCall
"

Inspired by a dream I had.

"

What occurred since the day we first met; I recall that sunny day we happened to cut across the same lawn.

I traveled all this way to see you and now you cannot find time for me. I believed you were serious that day when you said you wanted to help me. I thought we both had been fortunately surprised when we bumped into each other, it seemed like fate had somehow been involved.

Before that day, we were just two strangers walking across a lawn when our paths crossed. I wasn't myself that day, I was feeling frustrated and alone, when out of nowhere I overheard you breaking down, and you were talking to yourself saying, "I'm going to be late!" 

I had no idea what you were going to be late for, but still I felt compelled to tell you that you were not alone, that I too was in despair, hoping that I might comfort you. You seemed so grateful at the time as we walked together, we got into a conversation and became friendly. You even offered to help me with my book. That made me feel good, I felt I had found an ally, a friend just when I needed one. 

I told you how last year I had lost my younger brother and only months later my stepfather. It was my attempted to comfort you and it seemed to help.

Now you brush me aside as if I am a bother, and in a way. I guess I did help you; you seem completely in command of yourself once again. Well, no charge my friend, but if you find yourself back, crossing a lawn and begin to break down, remember I am not going to be there for you. I wish you well but never forget, despair and hell are still out there hiding in plain sight and they know no favorites.

© 2019 Paul McCall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dreams are such inconsistent things. This one, might warrant some considering. Well written, flowing stream of consciousness. Enjoyed.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 18, 2015
Last Updated on April 10, 2019

Author

Paul McCall
Paul McCall

Gloucester, VA



About
I enjoy writing short story's. I have a web site, www.paulmccallart.com Thank you for visiting. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Paul McCall