Dream 8/12/2016

Dream 8/12/2016

A Story by Paul McCall
"

A dream I wrote down I thought was interesting.

"

Dream, August 12, 2016


Dreamed I entered an abandon old metal and glass building that seemed at first about 50x50 in dimensions. It stood in the middle of a paved lot and was very rusty though none of its glass windows were broken. From the outside, it could have passed for a cube shaped greenhouse. People occasionally walked by but no one seemed interested in the old place; they would walk by and not seem to notice the place. I, however, was drawn to the building; I walked over and peered through the windows with an addictive curiosity. When I found an entrance it was locked or perhaps it was just stuck, I managed to force it open and entered. The inside had a machine shop layout and but for the dust was like the workers had just left for lunch about a hundred years ago. I walked around slowly, I didn’t want to overlook anything, taking everything in. some of the things I touched crumbled in my hand they were rusted so badly. “What was this place,” I thought to myself. I then spotted a dusty cardboard box in the far corner of the building so I went over and carefully unfolded the top of the box. The first thing I saw was an old pair of trousers; they had some moth holes but were still indicted. Lifting them for a better look I felt something in one of the pockets so I fished around and found an old coin. It felt like gold but I was so consumed by what more may be in the box I did not even look at the coin and just put it in my pocket. All I wanted to do was dig deeper into the box. Then the inevitable happen, someone found their way through the door where I had entered the building. My first feeling was like that of an old California Gold miner when the unwanted company showed up on his claim. I felt the urgency to place my claim on more stuff before my intruder had a chance to get in on what now seemed like the gold rush. The spooky thing was we didn’t speak; it was more like we shared some form of telepathy. As he began poking around I hasten my rummage through the box I was digging through so I could get on to other interesting things. I noticed that the amount of pedestrian traffic outside the building was growing which increased my sense of urgency.

As I searched through my box I noticed this other guy had found a door to another room; I was sure that neither the door nor the room had been there earlier. Putting my box down I waited until he entered, then I hurried over to follow him; the room had a lot more old stuff in it than the previous room. There were cabinets, shelves and many boxes some of which contained photographs.  Rummaging around I came upon a door myself, I opened it to find that it led to what looked like a docking area that rose about four feet from the main floor. Everything was dusty and the more I looked the more it looked like a tiny old Hospital complete with a two rows of about six beds each.  All the beds were made up nicely but had about a quarter of an inch of dust on them. Just across from the beds were four old dusty panel vans that looked like they were used as ambulances. It all had a World War One era look to it. Though the wall in front of the ambulances was open to the outdoors there was no weather damage inside the building, not a speck of dust had been disturbed. I went down the stairs to the main floor disturbing the dust on the handrail. As I walked around I left footprints in the dust just as though it were snow. On one of the beds, I saw what I thought was a military medal, I picked it up and shook the dust off but could not make it out. I blew on it razing a small cloud of dust; taking a closer look I saw that the metal part dangling from the red, white and blue ribbon was a penny that had been pressed to form a tiny world war one type helmet. The date on the penny was 1916. I thought to myself, “Assume” and put it in my pocket.

I walked over to the open space where the ambulances once used to head out and poked my head out and looked around. I could not believe what I saw, everything outside was also covered in dust, the ground the trees the buildings everything.

I woke up and the dream was over then as I thought about it and the so-called election of 2016 popped into my head I thought, “Maybe this dream is just beginning?”

© 2016 Paul McCall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on August 13, 2016
Last Updated on August 13, 2016

Author

Paul McCall
Paul McCall

Gloucester, VA



About
I enjoy writing short story's. I have a web site, www.paulmccallart.com Thank you for visiting. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Paul McCall