End

End

A Chapter by Rudy Menjivar
"

Arthur's life is almost up. He needs to finish one final deed. He can save humanity or at least it's memory. He needs to help someone. Someone he will never get know.

"
He certainly didn’t create simulated realities, but he did revolutionize it. He knew he was never going to be credited for his achievement, that didn’t matter. It didn’t matter whether he would die an excruciatingly painful death or a swift and painless one.  Arthur wished none of this had ever happened, but that’s all he could do….wish. He could not undo what had already been done. Everything was ready. Arthur knew he was going to die, but at least he knew he wasn’t going to be the last. As Arthur finally sealed the chamber opposite the one he was occupying, he realized something. What the hell was he going to do during his last hours here in the now inhospitable Earth? Arthur was 5,000 feet below ground in a titanium reinforced laboratory. The government had developed many of these laboratories. Perhaps there were other people still alive someplace else in one of these.
    “They called them vaults,” said Arthur finally finished with his task. He sat on a steel chair and took out a bottle of Jack Daniels from a drawer in the steel desk next to him. “And vaults they are,” he said as he took out a small glass. As Arthur poured into the glass, he suddenly felt a violent Earthquake. “Those sons of b*****s didn’t think of this!!” He shouted as he quickly gulped the shot of whiskey while holding the bottle in his left hand. Arthur knew nobody could have predicted the events that had recently unfolded. The vault was situated only a couple miles from the San Andreas Fault. The nuclear bomb detonated  over Los Angeles had  agitated the fault making it increasingly unstable and making earthquakes occur more frequent and more violent than ever before, and having the vault 5,000 feet below the surface wasn’t making the experience any easier for Arthur.
    A half hour after the earthquake ceased, Arthur, now with a half empty bottle and a broken glass on the floor, waited. Waiting for what? Not even Arthur knew that, perhaps his death. Perhaps waiting to suddenly wake up and realize he was having a terrible nightmare. Arthur got up from the chair he was sitting on, which was now in the corner of the chamber, walked toward the desk and took out a revolver from the drawer. He looked at it for a moment and then looked up at the control panels and computer monitors that were on the walls to his right.



© 2010 Rudy Menjivar


Author's Note

Rudy Menjivar
I know it's not really long enough for it to be a chapter, but just ignore that and please feel free to give me any feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

it is good

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

523 Views
1 Review
Added on July 30, 2010
Last Updated on August 19, 2010
Tags: Simulated Realities, Simulated Reality, Science Fiction, Science-Fiction, Sci-Fi, Alternate Reality


Author

Rudy Menjivar
Rudy Menjivar

Ontario, CA



About
My main genres are: Science Fiction, Mystery, Horror Minor Genres: Crime & Investigative I have decided to become a screenwriter/author I enjoy writing science fiction. more..

Writing