Wonder

Wonder

A Chapter by Kathryn Smith

I never wanted to go to Paris in the first place. (I know, I know, you can call me crazy all you want.) I just never had the desire. I felt as though it belonged to my sister’s heart. It was “her place.” She studied French and was fluent. My sister could be a French teacher If she wanted. Growing up and hearing so many various things about France in general just made me not want to go. I already had lost my heart in England and Ireland…or so I thought!

 

People tell me I have an old soul…and to be completely honest I felt like a loner as I sat on the train going through the Chunnel. With sleepy eyes I was trying to ignore my heart sinking. This trip wasn’t supposed to be like this. The tiny college I attended back at home offered this trip to London and Paris. My parents gave me money to go for Christmas. I had been to England the summer before and was thrilled to go back. Even though that portion of the trip was over now, I was going to stay positive!

The night before in London, my roommates kicked me out of my own room because they wanted to pull an all-nighter. We were to leave early in the morning to Paris and I was exhausted. As I packed they were downright mean and the entire situation left me feeling just as I felt as a little girl: misunderstood.

It also didn’t help that my creepy stalkerish ex was along on the trip. I didn't want to be by him at all...and let's just say it was the complete opposite for him.  


He is the perfect example of the moment when you look back in your life and wonder why you dated that person. My mistake was, I began dating him before I really got to know him..and in the end he turned out to be someone I would've never gone after. 

My professor sat next to me on the train in the Chunnel. My roommates had their friends and my other professor had her daughter. How was I going to get through this? I really wished I had at least one of my own friends with me.

Have you ever gotten a feeling that something huge is about to happen? You can feel it coursing through your veins and you can’t help but wonder where life is going to take you. As I looked out of the dark train window I felt disappointed. Nothing big happened in England. A thought suddenly entered my mind.



You’ve still got Paris Kathryn.


The same fleeting feeling I had gotten before, that something great was ahead took control of my brain again. …If nothing happened in England, it was bound to happen in France. ..Right?

You never know what’s around the corner. Speaking of corners I was sure my heart was going to stop as the train took a drop and sharp turn. To me, riding the Chunnel was like riding a roller coaster in pitch dark. It wasn't that bad, but I hate not seeing where I’m going!

Finally the darkness was replaced by blinding light. It was as if we entered a brand new world! The grass and fields were a lush green and the buildings were actually pretty. They were like something you could find in a fairy tale.

 

As my small college group stepped out into light and the streets of Paris I was entranced. This place was more than beautiful! I was also terrified because there were a group of French boys by me trying desperately to make me smile. In France if you smile at a man it is an automatic invitation of interest. An interest in something I didn't quite want at the moment.  


I couldn't help it.


I felt my lips curl into a grin and their eyes lit up and they celebrated as I smiled. A second later we began to cross the street and parted ways. Paris was definitely welcoming! One of the boys gave me a friendly wave and goodbye as we parted.

 

Paris continued to charm me. Everything in my memory from our first day is such an intoxicating blur. Sacre Coeur, our funny waiter at a café, the breathtaking view of Paris, the candy colored Merry go Round and our adventures around the glittering city at night.


We visited the Eiffel tower at 10pm. I usually laugh when I remember the Eiffel Tower, because the man who took my ticket literally thought I was from Colombia. He pointed to my jacket and excitedly exclaimed "I hope to visit someday!" (I had a Colombia jacket on.) He was so intensely excited, it was as if he thought I was Shakira!  


As I stood looking over the city on the sparkling and swaying Eiffel Tower, The icy wind whipped my face. I knew I was falling in love because I usually can't stand the cold. This time I just didn't care. Never had I ever been so rapidly swept away. I still felt that twinge of loneliness slowly eating away at me. Just as I was beginning to miss home that loneliness transformed into something new in a blink of an eye.

I don’t remember when I first saw him…but what I can recall is feeling startled and the bizarre uneasiness churning into curiosity, wonder, and ultimately disbelief.



© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The want and need to travel. Best days to do when you are young. I like the want to see Paris and the thoughts in the chapter. Thank you Kathryn for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn,
You actually had me laughing out loud a couple of times, and this amazingly young, naïve lady has already captured my heart.
I've never been a story-reader on the internet sites, but I'm sure I can easily fall in-love with yours.

I'm curious: How do you make the floating "···" ellipsis?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

I'm beginning to respond to your reviews as I promised, though this will be very painful due to the .. read more
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Floating: Above the baseline, ie, "him···but". whereas, an ellipsis is normally … on the baseli.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 30, 2014
Last Updated on February 2, 2016



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..