Skulls and Bones

Skulls and Bones

A Chapter by Kathryn Smith

Dirt from the Catacombs is still on my shoes. Even today they are still stained with that cold, wet, and grim mud I walked through. The air ached and my own blood chilled as I looked at the dead. All those skulls and bones that went on for miles underground got me thinking about life. In these bones were lovers, friends, and enemies. In these bones were rich and poor, children and adults.  

Death terrifies me. We honestly never know when our last day will be. We don’t know what will become of us or how we are going to die. Sometimes when I’m trying to fall asleep at night I sit up in sheer panic because I’m still here…and I’m still breathing. One day, I won’t be breathing anymore. That thought to me, is the scariest.

I had two days left. Just two days to speak with him and tell him somehow that I was interested too. Seeing the skulled faces around me almost made it easier, because it reminded me that life is precious and can be cut short any day from anything, or anyone. Our time here is just a ticking bomb.

That night, my group got to the hotel long before I did. As I walked towards the door I saw him scanning the group who were all happily playing cards. He looked more than worried and slightly uncomfortable. As I opened the door and met his gaze I saw the greatest thing wash over his face: Pure joy and relief. We exchanged our usual nervous smiles and I left for my room. I didn’t know how to handle this. It was getting more intense every day.  I could feel the pressure and the time ticking away.


 

 



© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Confrontation with death, even indirectly, can be disturbing...
nice description!
Terry

Posted 8 Years Ago


Here is the "death, fear, and unknown" thing again.
The more I get to know this lady, the more interested in her i become, as though I'd like very much … remarkable, isn't it, Kathryn, how one can become involved with their imagination?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

It is remarkable indeed! Especially when you go back in history and take part in something that is d.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2014
Last Updated on February 2, 2016



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Aftershave Aftershave

A Poem by Alias


Phantom Man Phantom Man

A Poem by Alias