A Name

A Name

A Chapter by Kathryn Smith

Like we had done the days before, we looked at each other in silence. This time it hurt because he didn’t look so happy anymore. He looked devastated. He looked like he had witnessed a puppy get run over by a bus.

"When you are leaving?"

“Right away in the morning. I should probably go pack.” I murmured sadly.

“Okay, it was very nice to meet you.” He smiled sheepishly.

I tried desperately to collect myself in the elevator. Never in my life had I felt so flustered. The way the doors closed and the way I could see him through the crack getting smaller and smaller was the most beautiful art.

Safety back in my room I breathed out a sigh of relief.

“So…how did it go?”My roommate asked eagerly.

“It was amazing.”

“What’s his name?”

At the moment I swear time stopped.

“OH MY GOD. I FORGOT TO ASK!”

How could I forget? That was the one thing I should’ve asked. I paced back and forth. I couldn't go home without knowing his name.

“I need to know his name..but should I go back down there? Would that be strange?”

The feeling of excitement was now replaced with a fine frenzy. Game of thrones had entered my mind.

The fact that all of this had happened in the first place freaked me out. There was a gorgeous Frenchman downstairs who was into me. (Me out of all people.)

What if this is just all in my head? What if he thinks I’m weird? I was hysterical with a rush of dread.

My roommate calmed me down and pointed out something very important. To this day, I’ll never forget what she said.


“This is Paris, Kathryn. It’s the city of love. All you are doing is asking a simple question. The way I’ve seen him look at you..the way everyone has seen him look at you. We know he likes you. Go ask his name.”

I took a deep breath in and flew out the door feeling like I was on a wire.

The elevator was now my friend and as doors opened I couldn’t even look at him. Instead I darted to the game room.

“Goodnight!” I shouted to the others frantically.

Before anyone even looked up I heard his voice behind me.

“Goodnight!”

Oh jeez. I wasn’t even talking to him! Why was he saying goodnight to me when I wasn't even looking at him?

Goooooood Nnniiouuuggghhhtt! Some of the group slurred. They were really into their card game now.

I went back in the elevator. I just couldn’t ask his name…but then I saw him looking at me with those sad eyes. Before the doors even closed I pretended I forgot something and walked over to the desk.

He looked very amused now.

“What is your name?”

He smiled.

“Of course today is the day I forgot my name tag.” He laughed pointing to his suit where a tag should be.

His name was Andre…(or something like Andre.) He even wrote it on a piece of paper for me. I was too nervous to even look at it. I should’ve taken it, but didn’t.

I smiled at him, said goodnight and went back to the room.

Andre was good enough for me.



© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kathryn,
Your descriptives in this chapter are priceless, as is the interaction in the scene … ahhh, and her commitment!

How shyly reserved she is, and how unobtrusive he is into her obvious inexperience and naïveté … I know it's predestined in the script, but with all the magnetic-attraction soaring around, how did they ever resist their urges to … well, Kathryn, you can see how involved you have me … LOL!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

This is the best review ever! I've always been a bit insecure and awkward around men. (Unless I've h.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 8, 2014
Last Updated on February 2, 2016