Animal

Animal

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I change shapes just to hide in this place

 

but I'm still an animal

 

 

 

"Hi! Can we sit with you?" I whispered giving a warm smile.

 

My friend was singing in the church choir today, but surely her mom would let my mother and I sit with her for Mass.

 

My friend’s mom didn't breathe a word. She didn't even look up at me or budge. She just sat there in the pew looking forward, clearly ignoring me. I knew she heard me because I was standing right there…and when someone is standing so close to you, how can they not notice?

 

Ouch.

 

I guess some people genuinely hate getting up and moving.

 

Out of the corner of my eye I could see everyone else's eyes feasting on us, probably wondering why the lady didn't move.

 


Mom and I awkwardly walked down the aisle and sat down in our own seats.

 

Ever feel like an outsider?


Sometimes it’s fun to pretend you're a ghost!

 

I have a giggle as I watch the people in my Twin Peaks like town.  


A handful of them seem to do nothing but cast their eyes to the ground. When they aren't looking at the ground, they look right through one another.  


Perhaps it’s because it’s been so bloody cold out lately! (Now that I think about it, that’s the most logical reason.)


Or maybe it's because we are so sucked into our technology we have lost the ability to communicate.

 

but still…

 

What gives? This is not normal.

 

Wisconsin is one of the friendliest states in the country.

 

We’re the people who smile and say hi to complete strangers on the street.

 

We’re the ones who hold doors open for people who aren’t even close to the door yet.

 

It’s the norm to be overly friendly and in each others business.

 

...but now I've noticed people have their walls up and scurry about in the bone freezing air looking like they secretly hid a dead body.

 

But I'm still trying to make my mind up.

Am I free or am I tied up?

 

I am Kathryn: a very excitable, hopeless romantic, random and slightly awkward, klutz of a girl who carries incredibly deep thoughts.

 

It has been said by many I am a ball of sunshine and give off a happy go lucky, free spirited vibe.

 

I gave up a long time ago worrying about what others think of me.

 

Why hide who you are and disguise yourself as someone you aren't? Carbon copies are so boring.

 

I finally found the ability to go wild and now that I can, I am what they call an animal.

 

and now I'm pulling your disguise off


are you free or are you tied up?

 

Once you are out of your shell it's quite liberating.

 

But I still look at people with their blank, unemotional, stone cold faces.

 

...........Helloooooooooo in there!

 

Heellooooooo?

 

Perhaps I need to be a bit louder.

 

Why is everyone so serious all the time around here?

 

Yes. Unfortunate things have happened to me, but it doesn't mean I'm constantly sobbing alone in a dark corner by myself. Certain things might drag me below some days, but I’d rather be this so called “animal.”

 

The person who for once doesn't find the ground fascinating.


The girl who is a burst of bright color in a black and white town.

 

I'm just about ready to pack my bags and fly across the ocean.

 

Maybe some people beyond the sea will thrive off my ray of light.


Maybe they won't hate on me for being too nice, or for being too happy in this unhappy world.


I'm hoping if I ask to sit next to someone, they will kindly move over for me.


Better find their shades!

 

 

In your eyes I see the eyes of somebody who could be strong

 

tell me if I'm wrong.

 







 

© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome, magnificent,.............( erm, you know what Kathryn, eng isn't my first lingo, so I don't have much vocab, so please, PLEASE, go on and find some more good adjectives for yourself, and think that I told them :-P :- 3 ).

And yes for your question "are you free or are you tied up?", my answer is - I am neither free, nor tied up, if there is something in between, then thats what I am.....:-) Think over, and you will understand what ties you up, and how you are free, in some aspects.................Cheers!

Keep Sharing, Keep Smiling and Keep your talent UP :-D

Abhi

Posted 8 Years Ago


Awesome, magnificent,.............( erm, you know what Kathryn, eng isn't my first lingo, so I don't have much vocab, so please, PLEASE, go on and find some more good adjectives for yourself, and think that I told them :-P :- 3 ).

And yes for your question "are you free or are you tied up?", my answer is - I am neither free, nor tied up, if there is something in between, then thats what I am.....:-) Think over, and you will understand what ties you up, and how you are free, in some aspects.................Cheers!

Keep Sharing, Keep Smiling and Keep your talent UP :-D

Abhi

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2015
Last Updated on January 16, 2016