Friends

Friends

A Story by Kathryn Smith

It's been a long day without you, my friend


and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again


We've come a long way from where we began



Friends.


What would we do without them?


They see our darkness, they see our light.


They witness our joy, sadness, and anger.


They're there for us through the thick and thin.


Friends are the people who keep us going.


Life isn't easy and without friends...how would we pull through?




I am one of those people who doesn't have a huge amount of friends.


Instead I have a small, knit tight, close circle of friends.


My friends mean the world to me, and I wouldn't change anything about them.  


Though there is one certain thing I wish I could change.




My friend Megan is buried in the ground.


It would have been her 22nd Birthday this Sunday.


I drive out to the cemetery to visit her almost everyday.


She is buried deep in the country and the road to the cemetery is a beautiful one.


I was thinking about life today.


How that little dash in-between the dates on gravestones represents us and our very lives.


I was thinking about how easy it is to take all the little things, like breathing and talking for granted.


How none of us really know what day will be our last.


How in one moment, we can be in love and suddenly in the blink of an eye the person we thought we loved leaves us.


How our friends help us through the darkest moments of our life.




If Megan were still here, what would she look like?


What would she be doing?


What boy would she be liking?


If terminal cancer hadn't taken her away, I would be busily baking her 22 cupcakes this very moment.




My own birthday is coming up in July.


Each year I almost feel guilty that I get to age, and my best friend will never get to.


I'll keep living for her.


It's the only thing I can do.


I'll keep her spirit alive as long as I am breathing.



For my friends who are still here...


This writing is for you.


Most of you probably won't read this..but if you do, I want you to know one  important thing.






I love you.







I love you more than you'll ever know.


Without you, I don't know what I'd do!


Some of you live nearby..and some of you live across the Atlantic ocean.


Wherever you are...


Thank you for all the laughs.


For all the happiness and inside jokes.


For all the secrets.


For the complete and utter madness.


For the goofiness.


For the memories.


Thank you for standing right by my side.


It took a while for me to find genuine and real friends..and now that I have, I am so grateful.


After I lost one of my only true friends, it was hard to make new ones.


To surround myself with new people...


but I did it!





This Sunday, I'm planning on doing what I do every year.


Going to the store and buying Oreos and 1 balloon.


Driving to Megan, writing her a message on the balloon, and letting it to go to the sky.


and eating those Oreos of course!


Why?


Because that's what friends do.



Even though she's gone..I am still her friend and plan to celebrate her life.







Dedicated to: Megan Miskowic


June 28th 1993- April 13th 2012



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wVYEL216Rk

© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very touching. Continue to spread your love; she would no doubt want that.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is beautiful. I don't know what I would do without my friends, either. My condolences for your loss, and may the life you are living on for her be one with a bright future.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I recently lost someone very special and close to me and this echoes my feelings exactly. It's beautifully put, honest and real. Friends are everything worth living for. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I was glad you remembered your friend. We must to keep their memory alive. I liked the honest tone and realistic feel of your words. Good to be thankful for friendship. Thank you for sharing your amazing words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Kathryn, I am not ashamed to admit that this write brought tears to my eyes. Such a loving tribute for another friend gone way too soon but remembered always. I've had a couple of these types of tragedies in my life and it sometimes gets easier with time but sometimes not. Keep your love for Megan alive and buy that balloon every year. Well done! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn,

This piece you have written was a lovely tribute to your fried that was taken so young. You did a good job expressing your feeling in this piece towards your friends and what they mean to you. You appear through this piece to be a very selective but loyal friend to those you have.

I wrote a piece about friends called "Only One". I am a very loyal friend also but don't have many especially not a best friend, really only acquaintances. I will send you a read request on the piece.

Well done Kathryn on this piece and thank you for sending me a RR.

Posted 8 Years Ago


a beaytiful and somber tribute to a great friend,we never know
and she is lucky to have you as a friend,and you her

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

503 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2015
Last Updated on June 27, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..