The Matthew Effect

The Matthew Effect

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I can't explain the state that I'm in 

The state of my heart
He was my best friend 





All of my powers, day after day 

I can tell you; we swaggered and swayed
Deep in the tower

 The prairies below






I can tell you

 The telling gets old

Terrible sting and terrible storm





 My friend is gone

 

H e   r a n   a w a y







I can tell you that it was a wondrous work of art. A vision that I'll never forget.


For a moment, time froze.


As I was driving away from my friends grave, I saw a lone figure in the distance. 


He was walking slowly towards me, down the long and dusty country road.


As I got closer, I noticed that the person in the hazy summer heat had familiar golden skin and short, wavy, beachy blonde hair.


He was a tall, skinny adolescent boy in a black shirt.


His eyes were glued to the ground as he walked along.


He looked as if he was painfully lonely or deep in thought.


When I realized who it was, something hit me in the stomach.


My heart could've burst into a proud happiness and awe.



This boy was Matthew.


The only person I have fully witnessed grow up.


The only boy I can visibly remember at each age.


The reason why my heart wanted to burst into tears was because in two days, Matthew would be turning 15.


It feels like it was just yesterday my mother and I went to the hospital to meet him.


Only my mother was allowed to see the baby, so I waited in the hallway very disappointed.


Suddenly I heard the door crack.


I looked up to find my mother crouched down in the doorway holding a blanket of blue.


She whispered and told me to hurry up.


I swiftly crept up to the doorway and peered into the crack.


Matthew was the first newborn I had ever seen.


He was stunningly beautiful.



As years passed Matthew broke the mold of "The 3 musketeers"


His older twin brothers and I were best friends.


As he got older, The 3 musketeers turned to the 4 musketeers.




One more boy made fighting dragons easier.


He made rampaging through the forest more fun.


There were more squeals and battle cries.


There was bravery.


There was fear.


Losses and victories.


Laughter and wonder.


We were in love.


In love with the world we created as a team.




When I think of childhood, I think of Matthew.


He could be a poster child for the classic American boy.


He was a kid who was a walking and talking dictionary and GPS.


He was obsessed with big words and roads.


He could tell endless jokes. 


Matthew once held my attention telling a joke that lasted 20 minutes..when really the joke was making me listen for that long.


He carried around automated toy birds and couldn't get enough of nature and the world around him.


Through his bright green eyes, I've seen his kind soul.


I've seen his pain and joy.


His sadness and happiness.







In May, at his brother's graduation party, I noticed he retreated to the corner and didn't seem very sociable.


Something didn't seem right at all.


The little boy Matthew I knew so well was long gone.


The boy who made my world full of adventure.


The kid who made me feel like I had a real little brother.


Now he was diving headfirst into the adult world, but resisting.  





Yet one day in July, he came for a visit. He chirped away like the old times.


His eyes sparkled again and I thought his mouth might break from smiling.


Matthew couldn't get a word in between his twin brothers.


He was stung by a burning nettle plant and I was alarmed at how worried I became of him.


The way I turned into a mother for him.


As the youngest child myself, I recognized his pain each time he was interrupted or ignored. I made sure he knew I was listening to every word.




As children, all we want is to be adults.


and now as adults, we'd give anything to go back to being a child. We have to step into the storm whether we like it or not.



Life keeps racing by and we have no choice but to age.



As a child, we are invincible, our imaginations thrive.


Anything can happen and no one can burn us, or let us down.


As children, we do not know death or pain like we do as adults.


The world in our curious eyes is a world of endless possibilities and dreams.



The sky is the limit.






As I watched boyhood walk away in my rearview mirror, I found that experiencing the Matthew Effect was a blessing.


There was no reason to be sad. 





Goodbye and best of luck my little Matthew.


Thank you for the memories.


These roads ahead of you might be filled with terrible storms, stings, and trials, but they are what make you who you are. 


Life is never easy.  


Thank you for being the little brother I never had.


Now go grab the world!




It's all yours.









(The Matthew Effect: The phenomenon of watching a child age and grow into an adult.)




 


I can tell you, I love him each day



© 2018 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Kathryn, This piece was, in a word, breathtaking. The whole time I thought you were describing a real life little brother but you weaved a tale of the composite result of boy reaching adulthood. Stunning! Your descriptions were so on point and genuine I was actually dreading what I thought the ending would be...the day that Matthew passed away. You structured such a strong 'character' that I saw the progression to my imagined tragic ending. Just an incredible piece of writing! So well done. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Dan!! :) It was hard for me to let a little boy go, but I eventually did. We all h.. read more



Reviews

heartfelt. A little melancholic, it reminds me of my 16 year old brother actually, and really i think every parent sees this change occur in their children and it probably hurts a bit to see child hood innocence fade away from someone you watched grow up.
One thing tho, was the narrator not related? cuz at first when thety went to see the baby it seemed like they were then it made it seem like they weren't siblings

Posted 6 Years Ago


Such a heart-wrenching and simultaneously beautiful experience. I've never heard the term "Matthew Effect" before, but it's a very real thing. The growth and development of a child into their own person is nothing short of magical.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Probably the greatest journey anyone can take.
Just to watch someone grow. But as you said. You were growing too. Thanks for the epic journey.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I often watch my son, now 10, and dread the day his cute, sing song baby voice will change. His doll like chin will sprout a beard...Yet I could never put the feeling in words. You did and masterfully so! This was such a spell binding read for me.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is simply divine! It is a sensitive, straight, honest and deeply caring piece of observational writing. Made me jealous that I had never met Matthew or shared in such childhood adventures.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I don't have the words to express how wonderful this poem is! Truly stunning.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is a touching and heart-warming account of the stages of a young boy growing up. The words are eloquent, loving, evocative and so real. Absolutely love it.Kudos Kathryn!:))
P.S. Have reported the inappropriate and offensive comments left here dear Kathryn. Ignorant and sick person should be blocked from site.

Posted 6 Years Ago


loved this ill read again ten times till i fully understand it, i love it love it love it!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


simply beautiful piece of writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much! Matthew is going to be 17 this year. Hard to believe!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5524 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 16, 2018


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Who am I ? Who am I ?

A Poem by Tom


moonbeat moonbeat

A Poem by lightsong