Kind. Wild. Carefree.

Kind. Wild. Carefree.

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I wasn't always the brightest


Until I learned how to dance


I might not have been the tallest


Until I learned how to jump




I  wasn't always the bravest


They say you only live once






As someone who was born weighing 1 pound 6 ounces, with every odd stacked against her, taking a step back and examining my life and who I've molded into as a person is humbling.


My first days in the hospital, I was described as anything but tiny.


A baby with an enormous amount of fight in her.


It's said I kept yanking the breathing tube out of my nose.


As a child I knew I was small, and was usually bullied for being a runt.


For being different.


So I became a wild lone wolf, smeared war paint on my face, climbed trees and became one of the boys to prove I was anything but a runt.


And as I grew into an adolescent, my outgoing attitude vanished and I transformed into a shyer and more introverted girl.


There's one thing I'm happy to report that hasn't ever changed or left.


Kindness.


Kindness with an incredibly large and empathetic heart. (Which can be a problem.)


Looking back I was always extremely selective of who I would play with or befriend.


I was able to walk into a room and could tell who I should steer clear from, and who needed a friend.


Which person would become who in high school.


It didn't matter if I had been in the room before, or if was my first time meeting people.


My judgments were always right on point.


And they've stayed on point.


Recently I walked into my college campus and headed to my Early Childhood classroom.


Half of that morning my class and I were spoken to by a counselor.


As I sat there, I couldn't help but feel extremely disappointed.


I knew why she was here.


Why she was drilling us about how we need to respect one another. 


As that quiet girl, I've become a grand observer. 


Over the semester I couldn't believe what I was noticing, hearing and seeing.


Adult women.


All pitting one another against each other.


One specific girl at my table would trash talk another girl from across the room.


Out loud.


Loud enough for the other girl to hear.


A handful of girls at my table and the table behind us, put knives in the backs of fellow classmates.


There were some serious mean girl vibes going on.


Dirty looks, snide remarks, put downs, note passing, eye rolls, and everything in between.


People even talked over my professor so much, that there were times I couldn't hear what she was trying to teach us.


Knowing that some of these women were older than me disgusted me.


I've heard that real life is just like a high school classroom.


Perhaps that saying is right, but is it really that hard to be kind?


I firmly believe that there are more good people in this world than bad.


But why is it, that it's so hard to find a genuine person these days?


We live in a shallow catty world.


Women seem to think life is some sort of competition.


This needs to change.


I'm not saying I'm perfect, and I am definitely not a saint...but having that background of kindness has saved me in so many ways. .


I can't tell you how many people have told me I am wise beyond my years.


I've never thought that, but perhaps it is respect and kindness that has served me so well.


To me, being kind is just a natural and common sense sort of thing.


Some friends have asked me how I stayed so sane through the wars.


It's simple.


Being kind, wild, and carefree.

 






If you are an adult reading this I challenge you to open your eyes.


Take a look around yourself today.


Note of all the kindness and respect you see.


Is it there?


I hope it is.


If it's not, be kind. Be respectful. Be an adult.













 


 

© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
This piece shows that you are a caring person who's got her finger on the pulse of societal behaviors. The title made is sound like a travel brochure for Tijuana. Substantive social dialogue extolled in your piece. Nicely done. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


The world needs more people like you! An open mind and an observer. Never feel guilty for your judgments as you possess the ability to feel what is around you. You're an artist in the truest form. Sensitive and strong. This was a pleasure to read :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

awww hugs to you! Thank you very much!! :) Happy Thanksgiving!
I agree.
"If it's not, be kind. Be respectful. Be an adult. "
I enjoyed the complete story. Life is chance and adventure. Thank you for sharing your outstanding words.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
B
I see your spirit can never be broken
That makes you quite a beautiful person

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well done !

Good wording, nice imagery.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nice poem. I could almost see everything happening with my own eyes. Bang on imagery!
Thankfully my school constituted a varied mix of kids, so all was good and in an appropriate amount. And my college now, is just super friendly to let any mean girl survive for long.
But I could totally imagine the smarty-caught-up-with-morons, scene.
Nice write!
I enjoyed it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


well runt, it seems you turned out pretty well .the poem was very good

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

Thank you wordman! ^.^ I sure hope so!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 25, 2015
Last Updated on November 25, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alighting Alighting

A Poem by MsJewel


Red Red

A Poem by Ricky Campbell