To Dun Laoghaire, With Love:

To Dun Laoghaire, With Love:

A Story by Kathryn Smith

 Floating on the water
 

Stare at you tonight
 

So keep up the magic
 

and the space of time you light



Now in this small bed
 

When all have gone away
 

It’s the time that I bonded
 

The time that I prayed




Now in the silence
 

I find myself alone
 

It’s just what I wanted
 

To be on my own





I haven't had energy or a voice for a week and it's very frustrating.


I might not be able to dance around and burn off energy, but the nice thing about writing is, in words you can bring your voice to life.


Whenever I feel weak, or in pain, I like to surround myself with soothing happy memories.




I often take myself back to a place in Dublin, Ireland.


A place called Dun Laoghaire.


One of the most vivid memories of Ireland I have, occurred there.


It's a simple memory I'll treasure forever.


In the last few days of our trip everyone in my family wanted to go home.


They were all tuckered out and had enough of traveling around.


I for one wasn't ready to leave.


I was much too in love with where I was, and was over the moon because everything just felt right.


In sync.


I felt like I found a land where my wild nature was embraced.


It was as if I finally found what I had been searching for since a little girl.


To me, Ireland was and still is a second home.



On our last night I begged my family to let me go. I wanted to walk on the boardwalk by the pier. I wanted to soak in as much as I could one last time.


Even as a brand sparkling new 21 year old, I wasn't allowed to go by myself. 


As a free spirit I so craved running off alone and embark on my own adventure.


I knew I'd get nowhere with that request, so I was glad to have my father tag along.


In short, the boardwalk was magic.


The rich blue sea stretched out as far as my eyes could see until the sky met and kissed it.


As we walked a bright full moon slowly rose in a glowing pink sky.


Sea wind whipped our faces.


My hair blew around in all directions but I didn't mind.


The walk just never ended..and when it finally did, my father was excited to show me an old lighthouse. He had been on the walk before and knew I'd love it.


When I tell people that my favorite place in Ireland was a boardwalk, they often look at me like I've grown a beard or I have horns on my head.


How did something so simple compared to castles, pubs, and museums take my heart away?


My answer would be, spending the time with my father was what made it so special.


You might not believe in heaven, but the walk on that boardwalk felt like we were in heaven, or at least some sort of enchanting place.


I give my love to a simple town.


I give my love to Dun Laughaire.


It comforts me and heals, it took my heart.


That night the waters whispered for me to stay.


I promised I would return.


















© 2015 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeah!! Pretty cool stuff travelling is, and thats what I like as well, but for shortage of time and finances, its scarce for me. And Ireland, just one word WOW!

Thanks for sharing !! Keep smiling always :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


I understand THAT moment... perhaps we've all had one such at a time and place unchosen. It always remains behind our eyes.

You've shared yours endearingly.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Kathryn, Your description is so vivid and folksy I feel as if I've been there myself. It is too easy to write, "Yes I love this place;" but you imbue the piece with a feeling of TRUE love. Some people love Disneyland, you love Dun Laoghaire, and I don't find it the least bit odd. This is a VERY well written piece, Kathryn, and I'm putting it in with my library favorites. So thank you for that! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hearts like what they like for whatever reason. Some places just synchronize with us. You're an American and yours is in Ireland. Im and Irishman and mines is in Spain. The heart recognises no borders or man-made boundaries. It is the ultimate travelling companion.

I loved this. And the video Kaskade. Have you heard 'I remember" - also Kaskade and also fitting for this poem Kathryn. (prepare for goosebumps)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xo8At6XEqE

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

That is absolutely amazing ANTO! Thank you! I also really love France and England too. I hope to vis.. read more
ANTO

8 Years Ago

a decent enough addiction Kathryn - could be worse ;p

you're welcome
a walk through history,almost being there through your words and images

Posted 8 Years Ago


Photos and words. A amazing journey. You make me wish to visit the beautiful location. Thank you dear Poet for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2015
Last Updated on December 13, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..