The Beginning of the End

The Beginning of the End

A Story by Kathryn Smith

You wouldn't believe us if we told you sir. 


Try me. 





Many years ago, when I was a little girl - I remember a certain moment vividly.

It was Christmas morning. 

The snow gleamed brightly outside.

Inside, all of our presents were opened. Colorful shiny wrapping paper was strewn across the floor.

Sweets hid in the advent calendar in the kitchen, the Christmas tree was glowing and our house was filled with love.

My mother appeared carrying a big brown box.

This was the last gift. 

And this gift was for all of us. 

In our bare feet my brother, sister, and I ran to the box to look inside.

We all gasped in wonder.

In the box were the most beautiful books my eyes had ever seen.

Even today when I hold one there is something so magical about it, it is unfathomable.

You want to doubt the feeling that consumes you - but it is impossible to ignore and shake off.

Each of the covers  of these books were of a rich color; deep reds, blues, and purples. 

The sides of the pages were gold. And when the book was closed the gold made them even more gorgeous.

The pages simply glimmered. Finished with a satin book mark sewn in, this to me, seemed like these books belonged in a castle itself.  

My sister was thrilled! She loved to read books. Her eyes lit up when she realised what books these were. 

These books were called The Chronicles of Narnia. 

I could not yet read these chapter books on my own, but I was excited just to hold one of the stories in my  hands. 

I had no idea back then that these books would eventually mold me into the girl I would become.

The words written down would be the very last words I would love as a child.

Eventually I stepped into the first book; The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. 

I will forever hold the book and the film close to my heart. 

The film was released as my childhood was ending. 

I saw it and fell in love.  I was swept away. 

I strongly identified with the youngest Lucy Pevensie. 

She had enough faith to fill the world, she was brave, she was innocent, she was me.

As I entered Jr High - many changes occurred.

The world became a darker, meaner place. Not child like. Not friendly. It was no longer a world of butterflies.

Narnia kept my head on my shoulders.

It reminded me what was good and bad. Wrong and right.

It inspired me to stay kind. I wanted to be like Lucy after all.

When my fellow peers were starting to put makeup on and talk about sex and drugs - Narnia held my innocence.

I buried myself in the words of C.S. Lewis and began to read each of the chapter books myself during school.

I was a girl who would rather read of his adventures than engage in what my friends were exploring.

Hanging by a thread, I muddled through my last bits of adolescence in wonder and awe. Usually by myself.

I had lost some friends a long the way - because from a Jr High girl's point of view: I wasn't "cool." 

I fully knew this, but I didn't mind - only the world of Narnia made sense to me.

It was a place where you weren't as judged. A place where you could become a hero. A world where children became rulers.

Today as I look back my heart fills up.

It was a beautiful way to end my childhood.

I still believe in magic, and when I have children of my very own I plan to pass  Narnia down to them.

There is a deep magic to these stories that will never die.  

There is an entire world waiting to be discovered for generations ahead. A world in which one can escape to.

A world we can live in - before our lives and eyes and minds change forever.

Before the magic of childlike wonder vanishes.












The Chronicles of Narnia... Impossibly beautiful.:

© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith





My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can relate to this so much!! i know how a book can change your life and can also shape it. the writing is wistful and magical. this is amazing!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Great story! I'm glad you stayed strong during those times.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is a fine write, I find this work very moving. I feel that all of us went inside the wardrobe and when we came out, some chose to forget about it and some chose to bring it outside.
Fantastic write....thanks for sharing.


Posted 7 Years Ago


the magic of childhood,we will always cherish

Posted 7 Years Ago


reminiscent of sweet old our memories that shape our thinking and habits as a grown up. I am impressed by your ability to sustain your innocence through moral degradation around. Good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Amazing artwork and thoughts dear friend.
"The world became a darker, meaner place. Not child like. Not friendly. It was no longer a world of butterflies. "
The above lines are true. It is sad we lose the innocent of youth so young. Old world steal wishes and dreams too soon. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Haha....it's a really good experience in childhood life....

I find out that your childhood was amazing and colourful plus with magic....

Well done....I love it...

Posted 7 Years Ago


Your words successfully reminds us that we all have Narnia inside us. Some of us keep it and keep going back; some walk away once and for all. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Wow, Kathryn you did a wonderful job! What a way to write about the childhood memories, those precious memories really got me back to the golden days of my life too. Looking forward to more of your writings :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Hi
Nice write Kathryn. A time to be a kid and a time to be an adult, but anytime we can get the best of both it is awesome, and even more to see it renewed in the eyes of children.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

455 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2016
Last Updated on October 21, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..