Song of Life

Song of Life

A Story by Kathryn Smith

Morning star lights the way


Restless dreams all gone


Shadows gone Break of day


Real life has begun





Many years ago, on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, a young girl sat at a computer.


She was on YouTube, listening to songs from one of her favorite English films.


A thumbnail caught her eye, she clicked on it and before she knew it, music filled her ears.


The video she was watching showed a stage, and on the stage stood boys in white.


They looked to be very young, ranging in ages from 8 to 14.


She did not know what she was watching and thought it was a movie.


The music and some of their facial expressions were intense.


She waited on the edge of her chair for something to happen.


Was there going to be an explosion?


An attack?


What was happening? What was this?


As she kept watching- nothing happened.


She clicked on more videos and discovered that this, in fact, this was not a movie.


She found a boy's choir from South London.


She grew very fond of a boy named Joshua.


She went to church with her father on the morning of Thanksgiving, and as she walked to church, she noticed the name "Josh" engraved in the cement near the doors.


Then and there, she knew this choir - and that black haired boy were very special.


As the years passed by, she gained many friends who loved the choir.  A girl from the south, and girl from England became some of her very best friends.


She even became friends with some of the boys in the choir.


The music helped her with her faith. 


It expanded her taste in music, and it eased her growing pains and loneliness and fears.

 

Little did she know, but this music was indeed important. 


It would help her through a rough future where she would find herself in a traumatic, life changing, car crash. 


It would gently guide her through the stages of grief after losing her good friend from cancer. 


Last but not least, in the near future, this choir of boys would become partners with her to calm a newborn baby to sleep everyday.


A song  of theirs would become the child's lullaby - and for years forward he would grow up with it.


She and he would become the best of friends.





This girl I am writing about is me.


And this choir is called Libera.


I think back to the autumn night I found Libera on YouTube and it always makes me shiver.


Back then, I hadn't the slightest idea what was coming and what the music would get me through.


After things began to calm down - after the car crash, losing my friend, and as the baby turned 1, came a day I had always dreamed of, but never thought would happen.



I got to meet Nicole, the English friend I made through the choir in London.



On Sunday, July 14th, 2013, Nicole sat with my family on the tube for an hour. 


She guided us to St Phillips church - the church where Libera's home is.


Since it was summer - the choir would not be singing during Mass.


But it was exciting to be in the very church where the music that helped shape me was made.


As Mass started, we began to sing the opening song.


A server boy in white passed me...then another and another.


My heart began to beat faster as I counted them pass by in my head.


Four...five...six...seven...eight..nine...


Nineteen, at least twenty boys marched down the aisle and up the altar.


Libera themselves stood in front of me.  


Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my mother and father staring at me with sparkling eyes. Nicole's eyes twinkled too and she squeezed my hand.


The choir of boys I had been following for so many years were standing right there. 


Right in front of me.



Each smiling in a white robe, staring curiously in wonder at me and my family. .


St Phillips was a very small church - and when anyone new was there it was a big deal and caused much excitement.


As the mass went on some of the boys smiled at me - some created inside jokes - and some were usual boys and giggled with mischievous eyes.


Joshua was even there, but I remember  I could barely look at him because his handsomeness was almost intimidating. 


But still, I was so very thrilled to see him.


I never got to meet the boys after the service, but being in the front row was good enough for me.



Flash-forward to today and many of the boys I knew and loved are now at Uni; including Josh.


Many of the little brothers of the boys are now in the choir and it has been a great joy to watch them grow up.


Libera went on to put out a Christmas album.


And now Christmas just isn't Christmas without them.




I do not listen to the choir as much as I used to - for I believe they served their purpose.


I will never forget the music - and I will carry it on forever.



If life had a song - Libera would sing it.



Below I have posted some of my favorites.


In Going Home - You can see a very young Joshua. It is one of the first videos I discovered.


In Lullaby (Which was the baby's lullaby)  you'll have seen that Josh looks quite different. He ended up staying In Libera much longer than most boys do. He is still very much involved today and plays piano for the choir during concerts.)


Carol of The Bells and O Holy Night are my favorite Christmas pieces.


Joyful Joyful is newer.


I could go on and on.


It's great classical music.


Enjoy! :)





























 










© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith



















My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great work I love how you put real emotion behind as you have gone through this and it makes your writing 10x better

Posted 7 Years Ago


I feel very happy to have read this. Simply love the way you write, always enjoy reading your pieces.

Posted 7 Years Ago


The compilations of thoughts in this writing is as perfect as it could be.
A very good read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Thank you dear friend for introducing me to the music. They are wonderful. I enjoyed your story and the good song.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


wonderful, you have an originality of ideas that can only be matched by you. wonderful piece

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much!! xx :)
What I love about your writings is that you have a unique style and that keeps the reader to read till the end without getting distracted.Thanks for sharing :)!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Aww Thanks for reading!! :D
zaisham9393

7 Years Ago

You're welcome :)!
Wonderful sentimental story. Funny how different songs or words pull at the heart and draw us closer to God. I remember different colored books of children's stories my mom used to read to us each night when we were little. Gosh, now I am setting in that circle listening to my mom. Thank you for this memory, Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review! :)) Colouring is the best! xx
Your story gave me a sweet smile on my face :)
A lot of thanks for sharing this with me.
The more information you mentioned, the more intrigued I become to listen to Josh and the choir- The Libera.
Thank you for being so awesome, sharing the great classical music Kathyrn.

I got goosebumps listening to the oh-so melodious, spiritual music. Now I know why you love them and what provoked you to share this story.
God Bless them and you.

Thanks,
Anjali

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Aww Thank you so much! Glad you liked Libera too! :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 8, 2016
Last Updated on November 8, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Quilt The Quilt

A Story by Celie Rose