An Open Letter to Manchester

An Open Letter to Manchester

A Story by Kathryn Smith

Dear Manchester; the strong and proud Manchester,


I've been constantly drinking water trying to get rid of the lump in my throat.


But it hasn't gone away.


I couldn't sleep the night before.


My head hurt, my heart broke, and my thoughts were enough to make anyone cry.


Visions of frantic mothers and fathers trying to find their missing children filled my mind.


People terrorized.


A beautiful part of England torn.


And I thought about a girl around my own age who is broken.


I'm in tears writing you this.




If anything, please know that I stand with you.


Wisconsin stands with you.


The one thing that always eases my devastation is seeing humanity pull together in the wake of trauma.


There's something that struck a chord in me today.


I read that a homeless man rushed into the arena to help the people inside.


Yes.


A homeless man.


A man that people probably walk right past every day.


A man whom adults shield their children from because they assume he is dangerous.


Someone who you'd least expect to help.


He found a woman bleeding out from the side.


She couldn't stand, so he and another man lifted her to an ambulance near by.



I saw that restaurants offered free meals.


Taxi drivers gave free rides.


Hotels offered a place to stay.


Tea was given to the first responders.


Hundreds donated blood.


I heard that a first responder held Saffie.


He wrapped her in his jacket and comforted her in her final hours.




I've noticed that with tragedy comes anger.


I've seen people criticize Ariana Grande herself.


I've heard people judge her.


Her and a group of people.


The stupidity, blindness, and unfair labeling on Muslim people has risen again.




Understand this.


Right now, especially right now the last thing we need is hate.


Judgments will not make us grow.


Scathing words will not make us get back up.


Please give love.


Give it each and everyday.


Give compassion.


Give empathy.


Give education.


Give joy.


The world needs it.  








Manchester you're incredible.


Keep staying strong.


Keep pushing on.


Our thoughts and prayers are with you.


When we unite as a world, we have the power to heal.




I love you.






Kathryn S









In Loving Memory:


Saffie Rose Roussos











Let me see you put your hearts up


If we give a little love


We can change the world

© 2017 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith




My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Absolutely beautiful. No other words can describe what was written by you Kathryn. Great work as always.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mother says our world dies
the times 'good' men stand.
from acro000ss the street
shaking their necks and yet watching
as 'bad' men commit many sins.po


Posted 6 Years Ago


What happened is sad and heartbreaking, many of them were children , this was such a senseless tragedy !
a touching tribute!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Amazingly written. I still remember I was watching news and suddenly they showed this tragedy, I was shocked. And the thing that made me cried is when I heard about a 8 year old girl who died in this terror attack. Your story will be a big support and love for the victims and their families. Great one.

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
Beautifully beautifully written. This had pins on my skin the whole read. A wonderful tribute to the people who suffered this horrible tragedy.

Posted 6 Years Ago


It was a tragedy that shouldn't have happened, but it did. And it showed just how beautiful and /human/ people can be in the face of such a tragedy.

A good, emotional write.

Posted 6 Years Ago


My heart is up! Thank you for your heartfelt and passionate tribute to Manchester during this terrible time. You educate us about the selfless way that ordinary people responded and helped-much like 9/11. The worst of humanity sometimes reveals the best of humanity. We stand with you, with the angels,with the survivors and with the heroes to overcome terror with love. Kudos!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is powerful and so sad. I hate that it happened. The world needs love, we need to unite

Posted 6 Years Ago


The main word is "if"... A powerful write, this. We can change the world if we stay strong...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

6 Years Ago

Thank you Yumna!!
Dr. YumnaKay

6 Years Ago

You're welcome, Kat!
I am a muslim and when i see things like this happen I dont blame people for hating me or my religion. I used to but not anymore. Because these terrorists and extremists make it unclear for them what the religion is truly about amd they kill in the name of their false faith and religion. I believe that no matter what religion a human is, we have to follow the religion of humanity and that is what manchester truly showed as you said in your poem. When our generation dies and we become ancient its poems like yours that will be loved and studied. And terrorists like them will be long gone. I truly feel hurt for everybody. This is an outrage makes me question why people want to display my religion in the wrong way!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

6 Years Ago

First of all, I want to give you a hug. Second of all...I am so sorry people are starting to label y.. read more
BBP

6 Years Ago

I couldn't read your response and not reply. People sometime are too politically correct to realize.. read more
Decidious wind

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words. 💕

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1000 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 24, 2017
Last Updated on May 27, 2017


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Flutterby A Flutterby

A Poem by Saumya