Underdog

Underdog

A Story by Kathryn Smith

My mother and father were married on October 6th.


Years later, I was brought home from the hospital on the same date.


I was born on July 21st weighing 1 pound 6 ounces.


And until October 6th, I was stuck in the hospital fighting for my life.




Before I was born my parents prepared for my funeral.


People, even family members told my mother to just get an abortion.


I wouldn't live anyway.


Why put a family through it?




After I was born, my father was thinking of what to write for the eulogy.


And one of the first lines in the newspaper article written about me, described me as

"scrappy."




I've always been the underdog.


But I've always managed to prove otherwise.




Flash forward to today.


I taught all day.


Had toys banged on my head.


Was sneezed and spit on.


After teaching I went straight to work.


Nannyed the children


And took care of their new puppy.


I took him outside in the pouring cold rain.


And got drenched.


I had a girl wipe her nose on me.


Poop on me..


and then eventually stepped in dog poop with bare feet.




I came home to an empty house.


Exhausted


My parents are gone celebrating their anniversary.


And I couldn't help but wonder.



What's it like to be able to come home...to someone

who loves you?


To have someone to cheer you on.


To give you your own family.


To have your back.


Perhaps I am an underdog in love as well.



What I'd give to find that man.



Because you feel like you're nobody until somebody loves you.


I'm under my covers.




And looking at all my friends who found their love.




Wondering where mine is.







Because it's awfully lonesome working so hard..


and coming home


To nothing.


To no one.




To silence.

© 2017 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey scrappy doo...
aww... I was never a small kid (my head got stuck in the old vag and had to get prized out with those big tong-things - no wonder I have an egg-head !!)
Underdogs, mongrels and the like have always been my favourite. They have fought the toughest battles so early in their lives that they are virtually black-belts at surviving.
There is a lot to be said for having one's space to oneself - when we consider how many annoying things that living with others can bring - smelly sock/trainers, toilet seat left up, nail clippings on the new carpet, toothpaste left open, dishes in the sink, the last of the milk for tea/coffee gone, TV remote control wars oh I could go on and on.

Keep your tail wagging Kat - you are well loved.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Indeed a sad tale. But through it I see strength, a caring, hard-working, clever and talented, attractive individual. Sometimes low self esteem shows, sometimes we over compensate for it and scare people away. Perhaps not viewing oneself as an underdog but feeling free, alive and vibrant will make one attractive to others. Being single can be seen as temporary if one considers freedom and lack of ties and responsibilities. You look at all those friends in relationships and they have so much more complicated lives and have to compromise and even aquiesse. Much happens behind the closed doors and the masks people wear in front of others. Don't be fooled into thinking everyone is happy and in love and you are not. Who said 'first love yourself'?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

6 Years Ago

thanks john! :) :)
Kathryn I want to literally just hug you !!
Your story was just beautiful. It exuded lonliness in a poetic and calming way. Your words made me empathise and sympathise with the protagonist. Thats what good writing is.
The words spoke honesty.
You know ily !! Despite the vast oceans that separates our friendship but know this that i got you back and am always there if you need to talk or a virtual shoulder to cry on !!! Hoping to meet you someday so i coulx actually hug u xD

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

6 Years Ago

Awwwwww Pia!!! This is the sweetest thing ever. Thank you! I love you just as much!
Nice but very sad. Reading your other writings, i sense loneliness and a broken heart.
One should never feel this way. There are a lot
of good around and it's a matter of getting on your feet and going after what to want.
Nice writing by the way. Cheers

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much Kevin! No worries! :) The children I work with make me much less lonely and I fe.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2017
Last Updated on October 6, 2017


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..