Suffocating Insanity

Suffocating Insanity

A Story by OnceUponATimeWriter
"

Mrs Georgia Sophie Lucas, Crime...Murder

"

It wasn’t often that Georgia’s hands were steady but right now nothing could have moved them. She sat still and in silence, her cold eyes boring into the mirror opposite her. No normal person would feel this calm if they were sat in her place, hell Georgia shouldn’t have been feeling this calm. It was unnatural and the Georgia who had put out the bins that morning and kissed her husband before he left for work would have found it deeply unnerving. But something had snapped inside her when she had landed herself in this situation and nothing was ever going to drag her back into the hole that had been her tragic excuse for a life. Now she saw it for what it truly was she was never going back to that life, she was never going back to him.

             Georgia shifted on the metal chair and laced her red stained fingers together, her eyes never leaving the mirror. She knew what was on the other side of course, who didn’t? She spent too many drunken lonely nights watching those oddly addictive crime shows for her not to know. She was a sideshow, trapped like a common animal in a cage of cold grey breezeblocks, left alone to be stared at as though she was worth less than dirt. Not that she blamed them for thinking it, she had thought that about herself for long enough to know it was probably true.

            “I know your there,” she sighed, speaking for the first time, “you might as well come out and see me.”

            Her mouth curled into a deceptively sweet smile and she raised a red hand and waved it at the mirror. No one came.

            The minutes dragged on and her patience began to wane, the ticking clock irritating her until it was all she could think about. In frustration her hands flew to her head and the fingers slid between the strands of her matted hair. Couldn’t she get a shower or something? Surly it wasn’t legal to be keeping her in here for this long without any way of cleaning herself up. The hands that had been steady just half an hour ago were beginning to shake with frustration. They couldn’t just leave her here to rot! She was still a human being!

            Leaping up from the chair she smacked it across the room letting out a ferocious scream. The metal collided with the wall, much to her satisfaction, and her nerves were immediately calmed. Georgia swiftly crossed the room, picked up the chair and returned to its proper place and sitting back down as if nothing had happened. Pushing a lock of hair behind her ear she returned her eyes to the mirror and smiled her sweetest smile, her eyes flashing with mischief. That would wind them up!

            The only door to the room slammed open seconds later. Two professional looking men and a woman in heels walked into the room. Georgia instantly felt conscious. Here she was in a pair of worn out jeans, a baggy t-shirt and an apron and she was faced with a woman who looked like she had just stepped off a Paris catwalk.  It was common knowledge that a mother never had any time for looking good but this was just a disaster. She was always the one that looked as though she hadn’t even bothered to change out of her pyjama’s in the playground and now there was going to be more people that judged her because she wasn’t a perfect superwoman.

            But how could she be a perfect superwoman when she was the way she was? Run off her feet with a job at a bakery, two small boy’s and a man who expected things to be done his way, on his time, to his specifications. She didn’t have time to dress up and even if she did she was sure to have it spoilt by baby sick or flour or the contents of her husband’s dinner that he had disliked so much he had decided to throw the plate across the room. No she wasn’t perfect but there was no need for this stick thin woman to rub it into her face, no matter what it was that Georgia had done.

            The sound of papers rustling diverted her eyes from the cold stone of the walls and they settled on the woman and the bigger of the two men. The sat opposite her, the man leaning back in his chair, his arms folded, and the woman staring at her intently, a small curved smile on the edge of the red lips.

Normally this situation would have intimidated her but this just made her stifle a laugh. She had seen this so many times on the tv, it was insane that she was here now, sat opposite them, about to be questioned as if she had done something that was worthy of the devil himself. No the two opposite her didn’t scare her at all. It was the smaller man who stood in the corner watching her intently as if trying to see into the deepest parts of her soul that unnerved her. Why was he looking at her like that? She shuffled uneasily under his gaze and his expression changed, a look of understanding crossing his features.

            The woman shuffled the pages of the file she held in her hands again, dragging Georgia’s attention back to the two people in front of her.

            “Mrs Georgia Sophie Lucas?” the woman said.

Georgia nodded and glanced quickly over to the man in the corner. Quickly deciding that he was no threat, not to her anyway, her steely gaze settled back onto the woman.

            “You realise why you’re here don’t you?” the woman asked.

Georgia’s eyes narrowed, did the woman think she was stupid or were they just trying to goad her? The woman’s perfect eyebrows rose slightly as thought waiting for an answer.

            “Yes,” Georgia said scornfully.

It really was a stupid question. The woman closed the file and leant over the table, her hands pressed together as if in prayer. Georgia wondered why she would want to pray in a place like this, Georgia saved her prayers for when she was alone in the bathroom before her husband returned home.

            “Why did you do it Mrs Lucas?” the woman shot.

The words cracked the tension in the air that Georgia didn’t even realise was there until she felt the words slap her across the face. She wasn’t about to rise to their goading so instead she shrugged her shoulders.

            “I just felt like it.”

            The woman’s eyes flashed over to the man in the corner who nodded but didn’t say anything.

            “You just felt like it?” the bigger man asked, “you locked your two son’s in their bedroom and stabbed your husband seven times with a kitchen knife because you felt like it?”

            Georgia narrowed her eyebrows.

            “I just felt like it.” She repeated.

            The woman stood up quickly and paced around the table. Georgia guessed she was trying to be the bad cop. Ha! As if this woman could pull off the bad cop, she looked too much like a beauty queen.

            “Georgia, your husband is lying dead on your kitchen floor and your children are being taken into care as we speak…”

            Her children? No they couldn’t take them away could they?

            “You won’t touch my children,” Georgia snarled.

            The woman cracked a smile.

            “Honey, if I had my way your children would never see you again!”

            Georgia didn’t even think. She lept from her chair and grabbed the woman around the throat squeezing tighter than she ever thought she would dare. The two men rushed forward and the bigger of the two grabbed Georgia around the waist trying to pull her away as the woman struggled under Georgia’s deceptively strong grasp.

            “YOU WILL NOT TAKE THEM AWAY FROM ME!” She screamed as her fingers tightened against the sting of the perfect red nails of the woman. She was spluttering and Georgia couldn’t help but laugh out loud as she was finally pulled away by the bigger policeman and shoved into the corner as what seemed like hundreds of men converged on her and handcuffed her hands and then when she tried to kick her feet too. The small man who had been staring at he was declaring very loudly that he saw this all the time in patients with mental problems like georgia’s but she wasn’t paying attention to him she was looking at the woman in the corner, coughing and struggling to breathe.

That would teach that perfect b***h a lesson. No one could ever take her children away from her. He was going to, he was going to move to Canada and take them away from her but she had showed him, she had showed him that no one could walk over Georgia Lucas like they used to. He had come home ready for his dinner but she had been waiting, waiting with flour on her face, sick stained shoes and a large knife in her hand. He had barely struggled. Georgia guessed her knew he deserved it. The neighbours found her hours later covered in blood and laughing hysterically.

But she had done what she wanted, she had got the message across. No one was ever going to tell her what to do again and her and her children could live in peace away from the people who wanted to corrupt their tiny little minds. No one was going to hurt her again or she would hurt them.

© 2012 OnceUponATimeWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this! A very interesting read :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was an entertaining piece! I loved how you revealed so much of Georgia's thoughts as the story proceeded. The ending was exciting as well, ending with the real reason why she committed murder.

However, I did notice that you have quite a number of run-ons and small typographical errors. Maybe a quick read through this story of yours will help you identify those minor mistakes.

But aside from that, this was a great story! Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ooh, I like this. Its very enticing and suspenseful. To get to the root of someone's criminal motives and completely into their perspective...brilliant! Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on June 7, 2012

Author

OnceUponATimeWriter
OnceUponATimeWriter

Leicester, United Kingdom



About
I am a woman who loves to read and write and has been doing for as long as she can remember. I study an english lit and creative writing course in aberystwyth uni and love it. My writing on here is a .. more..

Writing