4 Amazing Benefits of Giving Back

4 Amazing Benefits of Giving Back

A Story by PatC
"

When you give back, you receive the greatest benefit.

"

I’ve been reading a lot about abused animals, and the resources it takes to give them medical care, food, housing, and find a forever family to adopt them.


There are endless opportunities to give back. You may prefer to donate money to a favorite charity, or you may prefer to roll up your sleeves, and get to work.Helping others is one of the best ways to skyrocket your personal growth.


Here are 4 amazing benefits of giving back:


Improves Physical Health


Of course you feel good about yourself when you’re helping a good cause, but you may also notice a difference in your physical health. According to a Canadian study, 85% of Ontario volunteers rated their health as good, compared to only 79% of non-volunteers.


Lifts Depression


When you’re depressed, you’re constantly thinking about your own situation, but helping others puts everything into perspective. You have your health, a place to live, food to eat, and some of the people you will help would love to be in your shoes. It’s very humbling to meet someone in desperate need of help with the basic necessities of life, and suddenly your problems seem a lot smaller.


Provides a Needed Service


Your job may appreciate your work, but you are getting paid to perform those job duties.  When you feel like you’re truly needed and appreciated, it motivates you to continue because people are depending on you.


Develops New Career Skills


If you volunteer at the ASPCA for example, you may find you enjoy working with animals so much that you want to make a career change. There might be paid opportunities right where you are. This is something you may not have considered if you hadn’t volunteered.

© 2016 PatC


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 27, 2016
Last Updated on December 27, 2016
Tags: giving back, improves physical health, depression, new career skills

Author

PatC
PatC

Roseville, CA



About
I'm a 63 year old retiree who has always dreamed of being a freelance writer. I am especially interested in the health of older women in menopause. I live in Roseville, CA with my husband Mark. We.. more..

Writing