The Smallest War

The Smallest War

A Story by Patrick JL
"

A true report (well... mostly)

"

The Smallest War

The assault on Maginess Lake began and ended on June 20, 2000.

The attacking army brought an $8,000.00 boat.  Four expensive, custom, fishing poles wrapped in velvet.  Two tackle boxes full of the finest fish weapons, and one large red cooler of whiskey and beer.

They laid siege to the small brook trout that lived peacefully in the tiny lake. Two hours after the combat began, the boat sank and the war was finalized. No trout were killed or taken prisoner. No Nuremberg trials were scheduled.

The two men gasped and blinked in surprise as they slowly swam ashore.  They couldn’t believe they had been defeated in such away, with such speed.  A few steps onto solid ground and the guiltiness began soaking into their minds.  How would they explain the defeat to their home base commanders?  

The Brookies did a fish-type victory dance and smiled their fish-smiles.

All visible evidence of this short conflict was lost except the cooler of whiskey and beer. It bobbed gently on the dark water as a monument to wars won and lost. The lake is again calm and the trout now have a new $8,000.00 playground resting on the silt bottom.

© 2015 Patrick JL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting! I like it!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
1 Review
Added on April 25, 2015
Last Updated on June 5, 2015
Tags: boats, war, wars, fish, fishing, beer, whiskey, conflict

Author

Patrick JL
Patrick JL

PDX, OR



About
I have been tolded I should write. Of course this was by folks, bound by civilization, to baste my ego. They insisted the cyber ether was the place to begin. This seemed as good a place as any to .. more..

Writing
NOTHING NOTHING

A Story by Patrick JL