Sally's Shoe

Sally's Shoe

A Story by Patrick JL
"

Only misplaced

"

My Papa Murphy’s pizza is at the corner of 181st. and Stark St. I say mine because it’s closest. They are all the same. From Portland Maine to Portland Oregon the corporate template is branded into the stores, the food, the people and even the mice I suppose.  The smiles, the taste and the surroundings are identical from store to store. Almost.

I suppose in far off countries there would be some changes. Japan may have sushi as a topping choice after cooking. In India it would be Idli. Greece could not survive without Kleftiko and England, of course, bangers. But an ocean or two would certainly not interrupt the green and red store fronts, the napkins, posters, uniforms, smiles, or mice.

Approaching my Papa’s I notice a shoe. It hovers on the sidewalk off to the side of the front door and somehow calls to me.  It is about size 5, sandal type with very worn straps and it used to be white. I can’t look away.  This shoe once belonged to Sally. Reaching for the doorknob I stop and look again. Yes. Sally is the name. But who Sally is, is unknowable. I only know she has misplaced or discarded a shoe.

Now the rush is on to find Sally.

Entering the shop Jim flashes me his corporate smile. I’m surprised the home office doesn’t require both male and female employees to wear green and red makeup. The colors are everywhere. Jim has been my pizza builder for almost a year. He knows my likes and dislikes. I don’t have to order because Jim, at age 19.5, is already a master at his trade. A trade, I fear, that will be his only contribution to history.

Graduating in the last ¼ of his class Jim doesn’t excrete confidence except with pizzas.  And while he is not 8 lbs. heavier than a dead horse, he could shed a few 10’s or 20’s.  The old acne is gone now but he will be buried with the scars. The woman he pays to be “nice” to him doesn’t seem to mind and he doesn’t either. Between them there is no affection that will someday mushroom into love. It’s a kind of corporate thing without the green and red.

I simply sit and wait for the last customer to leave. A man sitting in the only other chair dozes while his 2 children do Indy 500 impressions around the lobby. He’s not without hearing skills but hopes other people are or can muster his level of indifference.  With a great sigh and a corporate smile Jim presents him his order and the children beat him to the door. Still a-screaming they gallop into the parking lot.  His indifference seems to include their safety.

Jim takes only a micro-moment to search his soft drive and begins to construct my standing order.  He knows I like the show as he likes demonstrating his skills. He begins to hurl the crust as high as the low ceiling will allow. But then I ask the question.

“Jim. What is Sally’s shoe doing outside?” 

Corporate had never briefed him about this type of inquiry. He stops breathing. The lights flicker. The pizza crust stops in mid-flight. The toppings stop aging. The mice stop munching. After a search of his internal rolodex he’s sure it’s not the woman he pays. There is no answer to this question in his pizza universe. He's not able to solve the puzzle but it will keep him in deep acne frowns for a week.

After gathering my food masterpiece I thank and tip him and back out of the shop watching. He is still in ponder mode with no non-pizza answers forthcoming. I hope he is not thinking of submitting this question to corporate headquarters. He could lose his place at Papa’s and I’d lose my master builder.

With a longer than normal eye blink I turn my head to Sally’s spot. The shoe has vanished. Sally may have retrieved it. Or the shoe itself may have just wandered off to find her. In either case I am now enjoying my feast and Fantasizing that Sally is no longer trekking along half barefoot.

© 2017 Patrick JL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An amusing, refreshing, entertaining piece of story, totally demonstrating great skill. "There is no answer to this question in his pizza universe." quite a witty style, so easily working out perfect characterization. Immensely enjoyed reading.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patrick JL

6 Years Ago

I have decided to try writing again, And because of your kind words I'd like you to start the short .. read more
Rana

6 Years Ago

Now, because you've this cool sense of humor, I think you could pull off any, haha, but here- someth.. read more
Patrick JL

6 Years Ago

The aliens killed the zomebies. Then went for lunch.





.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 15, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2017

Author

Patrick JL
Patrick JL

PDX, OR



About
I have been tolded I should write. Of course this was by folks, bound by civilization, to baste my ego. They insisted the cyber ether was the place to begin. This seemed as good a place as any to .. more..

Writing
NOTHING NOTHING

A Story by Patrick JL