Call Me?

Call Me?

A Story by Patrick JL
"

"

I got to thinking the other day. But that hurt too much so I stopped.  Hahahahaahah.

Ok  ok   ok     So I wasn’t thinking too much. But I was digging!!!!  And that’s when I found a small trinket. It was very close to the surface and I suppose it was from the 40’s. That’s when this place was built by old man Larson.

Ok ok ok it wasn’t so much of a trinket and was more like a scrap. In truth, it was just a piece of garbage. But this hunk of roofing had no business being where I found it. And that got me to thinking.

More than a year but less than a century ago I was inspecting a project in Bakersfield California. Now Bakersfield is a small place and doesn’t have much in the way of local news. The local news people mostly just report on the weather which is usually very hot. It’s either the weather or the exhaust fumes from all the trucks. You see, I-5 which is a major highway, runs right through there. So the news people get tired of reporting on weather, exhaust fumes and the occasional grape thief.

Then along comes this crazy person from Oregon. Me. And he has this fancy piece of equipment and is going to test the Housing Authority projects. WHAT NEWS !!!!

The reporter showed up as planed along with a camera, a person to run it and miles of various cables and wires. They proceeded to interview me and seemed quite happy as they loaded up all the news reporting gear and waved “goodbye” as they left. Then later, in the dim of my motel room I watched my interview on TV. I don’t know where they got the idea I was formally educated, but they called me “a scientist from Portland!” They called me a “scientist” many times and each time I giggled out loud. I just could not bring myself to tell them I had forgotten to complete High School and was anything but a “scientist.” Just a few years before I was drawing bathrooms and happy to have the work!

But this questionable reporting and the scrap of roofing I dug up got me to thinking. What if this waste I had found turned out to be a bone fragment of a Tyrannosaurus Rex?  Would I be called a scientist again? NO WAIT!!! What if I found a hunk of bone and it turned out to be HUMAN!?!?!?!?!  Would I be an archaeologist or a grave robber?

So I now must find the answer to this question. At what point do I become a professional hunter of bones. I guess the following applies.

  1. If the bones are 100 years old I am a scientist and should continue to dig.

  2. If the bones are less than 100, I am a grave robber and should be jailed at once!!!

The people running around Egypt and digging in the pyramids should be safe. (or jailed?)

 

Then my head started to hurt from thinking, so I quit.

© 2017 Patrick JL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on October 9, 2017
Last Updated on October 9, 2017

Author

Patrick JL
Patrick JL

PDX, OR



About
I have been tolded I should write. Of course this was by folks, bound by civilization, to baste my ego. They insisted the cyber ether was the place to begin. This seemed as good a place as any to .. more..

Writing
NOTHING NOTHING

A Story by Patrick JL