Destiny, from a little grain of sand's point of view

Destiny, from a little grain of sand's point of view

A Story by Patsy
"

This one is about how everyone needs to be heard

"

Once upon a time, there was a little grain of sand. It was sitting on a beach in the Gulf of the mighty St-Lawrence, which is one of the first places where the rest of the Eastern World got to explore the New World. Nobody knows how long this little grain of sand was living there or how it got there in the first place, but it's certainly where its real journey would begin. Just like when your are born, you have history in the making in your veins, this little grain of sand would come to know its destiny simply by living it.

With all of the erosion going on along the shores of the gulf, one day a great wave rushed the little grain of sand to the sea. The water was sometimes cold or warm.  It was a wonderful feeling for the little grain of sand to swim through this water. It could smell the sea, the fishes; hear the seagulls and the great boats' siren that came from as far as Africa, the Mother land, where they say life itself began.

One day, a great whale swimming by opened it's big mouth to grab some of the fresh fish all around it, and the little grain of sand was swallowed. For what seemed to be days, and then months, it was carried around, feeling the jumps and hearing the cry of this whale. To this day, the little grain of sand called this period: it's dark period. Not knowing where it would end up or how long it would take for it to see the light again.

Then one day, the little grain of sand woke up to a great splash.  It was ejected by the big whale and back in the water, far away from any shores it had ever known. All around it, there were other grains of sand swimming along with it, sometimes they would become friends, sometimes they would break its heart and even fewer times, it met grains of sand that made it feel loved and meaningful... And the little grain of sand would love back...

The sun was there, sometimes the rain, it would be cold, or warm ... The bottom of the sea was sometimes very close and sometimes the little grain of sand would simply be floating on the great sea, but it was rarely alone. Soon enough, the little grain of sand would enter another chapter of its journey. Nobody knows how long it took it to land on a new shore, and it took it a while to just understand what was happening to it. Would it meet some new and real friends?  Would they be true?  Would it fall in love again or would it be washed away again and again?

 

That's when the little grain of sand realized one thing...It's not about how you end up at the end of your destiny, cause nobody really knows how long your journey will last.  And nobody can tell you when you're about to finish it either. The best thing to do is to try to carry on, open yourself to others all around you. Love, cry, scream out your life. Even if sometimes you feel unimportant... like a little grain of sand in this huge universe of ours. You are different and the same all at once. And you have your place in this world.

So it turned out that the little grain of sand that had landed somewhere on the south shore of the United States, got carried away with another big hurricane they have so much of in that part of the world. It was one of the worst huricane seen in these lands. The little grain of sand heard and felt a lot of pain. It also realized that it had no power to change things in some happenings in life. It couldn’t always change its on destiny, nor have power over other's destiny. But it was all, okay... No need to give up, life would go on...

And soon enough the little grain of sand was back in the sea again, it ended up on an Island where a little girl went to spend her vacation with her Mom. It turns out they were from -le Golf du St-Laurent - and of French origins - the 10th and 11th generation of the French settlers. The little girl wanted a souvenir of the beach where she had so much fun during her holiday. So she grabbed some sand in a little bottle. And you guest it, she brought home the little grain of sand with her. The little girl showed the sand bottle with the little grain of sand in it to many of her friends and family, telling its story to whom ever paid attention. And one day, she decided to take out the sand to the shore. She just felt like letting go and moving on with her life. She was moving away and couldn't bring every single souvenir she had collected in life with her.

A familiar smell and feeling surrounded the grain of sand as the little girl emptied the bottle on the shore. The little grain of sand felt happy. It felt like it was finally ... home. Where the heart is. It recognized the same friends all around it that hadn't been rushed to sea many years ago. The little grain of sand had never stopped thinking about them, but had to go without seeing them or hearing from them for a while. And finally, the little grain of sand felt peaceful. It was now ready to write and tell its story to whom ever cared enough to listen... And its destiny is still being written as we speak...



If you are reading theses lines, than you're about to realize, that even a little grain of sand's story is worth reading after all. May your destiny guide you to many wonderful shores... May you always find love again, even if it means you'll have to hurt sometimes...  The End.

 



I had a dream of this story a winter night and thought it would help my sadness go away if I got it out of me and into this vast and sometimes cold world called the Internet. It's now on here, and in my space in the world for anyone who ever felt cold and alone to read, comment - and tell this story again and again to anyone else who cares.

Patsy

© 2008 Patsy


Author's Note

Patsy
I'm more French so forgive the spelling

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Amazing! Your storytelling was stellar and one could sort of see the illustrations as your tale continued. You displayed some good life lessons; we sometimes forget that you have to go where life takes you and that there are times when things are beyond your control. I also see a theme on faith as well. Great write!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very beautiful and touching story, it's so very true yet. Even the smallest grain of sand matters in this vast and cold world.

Posted 13 Years Ago


you shouldnt worry first of all about your lack of command of english. you do a great job with this complicated language of ours. and this story is marvelous. i can see it as a child's picture book, but one that can be enjoyed by adults because of its endearing message of destiny, living in the moment, and discovery of the heart's true home. you are a fantastic storyteller.

Posted 16 Years Ago


No worries about the spelling and grammar and such. It's mostly about how you write it and bring out the actual story along with the descirptions, so you've written it just fine. Anyway, I enjoyed how you've expressed the grain of sand like that. It's a real nice metaphor, by the way, and it can be worth than a stone of diamond as well

So, it's all good there...


Posted 16 Years Ago


what a wonderful story - nicely done

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A masterfully written tale of how we all dwell within the consious world. Just stunning - thank you - leaves so much to be thought about - as we are products of our community often and then again the grain of sand had so much to give while living shortly in that bottle - thank you - just great.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ok this is a real mind twisted, beautiful some how magically inspiring too
Well done, really nice job... sorry for reviewing it so late, I wasn't much around lately

All the best,
Tamer Qtaish

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was utterly beautiful...so thought provoking and...real. It felt so personal and close, like it must mean everything to you, and I can see why. What a wonderful story...I love it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amazing! Your storytelling was stellar and one could sort of see the illustrations as your tale continued. You displayed some good life lessons; we sometimes forget that you have to go where life takes you and that there are times when things are beyond your control. I also see a theme on faith as well. Great write!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An absolutely awesome story filled with wisdom and profoundness. I loved it. It's very thought provoking.Kudos!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think this would make a lovely story for children. I liked it when the sand was stuck in the whale as that seemed exciting. I think children would draw encouragement from the story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1217 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 22, 2008
Last Updated on March 22, 2008

Author

Patsy
Patsy

Born in Montréal, Canada



About
I write out of inspiration, or when I am shocked by good or bad news... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


turn it off turn it off

A Poem by Rain