Statistics

Statistics

A Poem by Chloe..Across the Universe
"

We are all a statistic...

"

The wolves are at our doors, they are growling and snarling, biting at our heels. We don't notice we're too busy living our lives ...

Off in the distance a child cries as his mother beats him while his father smokes crack and looses touch with a reality he can't face.
The child is six  under- nourished with quite big brown eyes that keep a look of constant terror. His only crime , being born. What shall become of this little boy so alone , hopeless , friendless.  Who cares about another black child from the inner city ? Who cares about his mother herself a victim of abuse. Who cares of his father lost in depression and despair. His only love.. the dirty  white chunks of  cocaine he smokes from a pipe he stole at the tobacco store when the clerk wasn't looking . Who cares? Who ?

A few  statistic's.

Across town a young girl sits in her room surrounded by her lavish possessions staring at the ceiling . Wishing her mother would give her a hug and say, " I love you."
Her mother is the head of the annual country club fund raiser. Appearances are important to her.
Her daughter is an embarrassment.
Her daughter has bulimia.
Her daughter cuts her skin to feel.
Just to feel something , she has never felt love she has everything but love.
Who cares about another rich white girl who cuts herself to feel. Who?
Who cares about an affluent  white woman who's idea of success is measured by status and appearances .
She grew up in a loveless home wearing her sister's hand me down's now she gives her Ralph Lauren and Donnatelli to the local Salvation Army.
Who cares about this woman ? A woman who never knew anything but struggles in life .
In her warped thinking she thinks possessions  and social status  equal love .
Who cares?

Another statistic.

In a small suburb in middle America a young boy of sixteen is about smoke  his first hit of crystal  meth. His mom and dad smoke marijuana with him , so its cool . So at the urging of his friends he takes that first hit and is forever chasing that feeling lost in a world of paranoia and destruction . Who cares about another meth -addcit whose parents are too busy getting high to notice their son is nothing but bones, anger and nerves with track marks on his thin arms. Who cares?

Another statistic.

Across the sea in a city called Baghdad a young woman of twenty-four looks at a photograph of her child.
She joined the Army to make a better life for her only child. She didn't want her child to struggle and wear hand me downs and eat lunch with the free lunch passes that always embarrassed her as she handed the card to the woman with downcast eyes. The food always tasted bitter. She could barely swallow it.
So to the Army she went when she graduated because she couldn't afford college and no one would give her a student loan. Her baby was a year old when she graduated . Now she sets in a strange land with sand blowing around her blurring her already blurred teary  vision as she hears gunfire in the near distance , a tear fall's on the picture of the babe she so longs to hold close and smell , a fellow soldier fall's to his death.

Who cares about this woman who was only trying to make a better life for her fatherless child? Who cares? Who cares for this babe who misses her mommy every day and doesn't understand why she doesn't come home, who cares?
Who cares about the young man of  twenty - one just married six months dreaming of one day working with his dad in his dad's auto repair shop so he can buy his wife a nice house . Who cares that he lies on foreign soil as his life force seeps into the land's desert sands and he gasps his last breath . Who cares?

A couple of statistics..

In another land far away men sit in secret places and plot against their enemies as they prepare for  Holy War.
America is evil and must fall.
These men have been taught from the day they could say their first word to hate America and all she stood for so hate they do and they do it well and it shows
Who cares about the men and the evil in their hearts? Who cares?

Just statistics .

In a city in America in a house that's white a man sits in the oval office and wonders how and what has happened with a war he conceived  before he ever entered the sacred office. A war he thought would be over and  out in a few months. Does he care ? Does he feel the pain a young wife feels when the man walks to her door in uniform to inform her her husband with the crooked smile and dancing eyes will not be coming home to work with his dad ? Does he feel the pain of the mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers and friends and lovers and crack babies and crack w****s and drug addicts  and millionaires and bums and gays , straights ,  black , white , red, yellow , brown , albino , freckled , flawed , perfect , sane , insane.  Does he feel the pain ?
He has a job to do he has an agenda.

The fault lies not with this one man but with all of us . From here to Timbuktu and all points in between. From the people of all the colors of the rainbow , all walks of lives - do we care ? And if we do care what can we do ? We are just one man or one woman. What good is one voice? 

Just another statistic.

The wolves are closing in and the world will never be the same again.

It's just a matter of statistics .

© 2011 Chloe..Across the Universe


Author's Note

Chloe..Across the Universe
Written awhile back......and lately i have little time for writing and too much going on in my head and life for thinking so another from when i was inspired a little bit.also, i love reading the reviews as everyone has something to add and make me think ..That's why i feature it, love your opinions and thoughts

So we don't have to be just a statistic..unite through writing. words.
Write Senators, Congressmen and women .. unite .. speak your mind and make it heard ..
It is a quarter to doomsday..clock is ticking ...don't hit snooze..right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh my Chloe what have you written her, this is really something of monumental magnitude as you reach deep into the soul of humanities current state... as we wrestle with our little problems the world around become a collage of faces but we don't want to put names to them so we can remain ignorant and therefore not feel guilt or shame for not lending a hand... and the government doesn't want to hear our problems unless we got money to donate to there campaign funds... Damn this is really Spectacular!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Exceptional piece of observational writing, reflecting upon the atrocities left unchecked in this uncaring world.

Justice isn't just about the 'Administration of Law'; which commands legislation imposed by a judge or magistrate of a supreme court to a country or state, with objectives to protect the victims and pursue the perpetrators lawfully, it is also refers to 'just behaviour'. It is everyone's duty to uphold a concern for genuine respect and treatment, which is to be regarded as fair and equal.

A caring, poignant and conscious pricking message!

God's Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a GREAT VENT! Prolly the best I've seen in a very long time! Your angst and your compassion just jump off the page begging to be read...begging to be taken in and nurtured. I was so touched by all the many lives you listed...as there are so many and sadly they are statistics. I agree that it is time we all stand and deliver...save ourselves as we save others. Chloe, this is excellent and I would be honored if you read this on Vent Radio :)

Much luv,
Jenny

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

=O wow, outstanding, i feel so guilty, i want to d something, anything to help. This is so realistic and honest, and frankly one of the best peices on this site. Its people like you that keeps parts of the world a good place because you dont just think of yourself you think of others and encourage the general public to do the same. This is such a great skill to have and i totally agree with it, hopefully my crappy poems would help 'unite' everyone else that feels the same, i wrote a poem that questions the world similarly i will post it up soon. This is really an amazing piece because it encourages people to think FOR themselves as opposed to ABOUT themselves. I dont think there is much else i can say except; Outstanding, Thanks again =]

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh my Chloe what have you written her, this is really something of monumental magnitude as you reach deep into the soul of humanities current state... as we wrestle with our little problems the world around become a collage of faces but we don't want to put names to them so we can remain ignorant and therefore not feel guilt or shame for not lending a hand... and the government doesn't want to hear our problems unless we got money to donate to there campaign funds... Damn this is really Spectacular!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3030 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 3, 2011

Author

Chloe..Across the Universe
Chloe..Across the Universe

Smalltown, USA, AR



About
Sometimes i feel like an alien in a strange land..can you relate? I love people and friends are just that to me , friends-if you request me as a friend it would be nice if you read something I have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..