The Medal.

The Medal.

A Story by Paul Bell

He didn’t really meet Sally as such, more she met him. He was walking down the High street when she tapped him on the shoulder. I’m in a real hurry, but your brother Tom says he hid your medal under the shed, left-hand side in the middle.

Tom had been dead two years now, never far from his thoughts. He thought it strange after two years though, someone would remember that. He wondered if she was an old girlfriend. He checked that night, and low and behold it was there. He held it in his hand, it was strangely comforting. It was a contentious issue the medal. Tom believed his team should have won the cup that day, bemoaning the fact that his team played us off the park, only losing to a dubious penalty. He sort of chuckled to himself. Tom really was one bad loser.

He saw her two weeks later back in the High street, talking to an old woman, who was crying then hugging her like some long lost sister. Hi, I found the medal.

Oh, that’s great, you’re Toms brother. I must apologise for rushing off, but I had a really important appointment. He’s really pushy your brother, otherwise, I wouldn’t have stopped.

I don’t quite understand, if he was that pushy why didn’t you tell me years ago.

He only came through when I was rushing for my appointment.

What do you mean he only came through.

I speak to the dead, or I should say, they speak to me.

He had heard of wackos like this before, but he just didn’t believe they existed. God, he really wanted to shout something bad to her. What was the point? He asked her cynically if Tom had left any other messages.

Yes, he has two messages for you.

He really should have laughed and left, but what the hell. Okay, what are they?

Well, the first message is, not to go to London just now.

That threw him.

Okay, what's the next.

You’ll find out tomorrow at nine.

What's happening tomorrow at nine.

We and the other volunteers will be cleaning the beach for two hours.

That's blackmail.

That's what you get for calling me a wacko.

I didn’t call you a wacko, I thought you a wacko.

We meet at the bandstand, Michael, nine o’clock.

He was an intelligent guy, logical, methodical, and he knew how clever these people were. The medal, she knew his name, but these people find those things out.

It was just the job in London, he had just been offered it.

But as he said, these people are clever, but he’ll out clever her tomorrow.

He met her at the bandstand just before nine. She wasn’t hard to miss, hugging everyone in sight. He was always wary of people who hugged you. It was like they were invading your space.

So what's the second part of the message.

I’ll tell you when we finish, I’m Sally by the way.

Surely the ruse wasn’t just to clean the beach. What the hell was she after?

He hated admitting to himself, but he was beginning to enjoy picking up the rubbish. There was a great camaraderie among the volunteers, and she did seem to galvanise everybody. He wasn’t too impressed with the group hug at the end though. But he’d made friends, and had promised to be back next month to do it again.

She took hold of his arm. I’ll buy you a coffee for your hard work, and then I’ll give you Toms message.

He noticed she always took charge.

They were sat down when she put on her serious face.

Right, you want to know why Tom doesn’t want you to go to London just now.

How did you find that out?

Listen, Michael, I can give you the message, and it’s up to you what you do with it.

Okay, I’m listening.

Right, you’ve not to panic, but your mum is going into hospital for an operation. She’ll be okay, but you’ll need to look after her for a while.

Do you actually hear what you’re saying? What do you want, Sally.

Jesus, he’s pushy, you’re stubborn. Right, he says you’ve to phone mum now, she’s reading the letter.

He couldn’t believe he was actually doing this. He definitely didn’t believe it when his mum confirmed it. You talk to dead people. Have you always talked to the dead?

Ever since I can remember, yes, I didn’t realise it at first as a child, I just thought everyone spoke to the dead.

Are you speaking to Tom just now?

Hold on a min, are you believing me now.

Well, I’m still a bit skeptical.

Yes, I’m talking to him now.

What’s he saying.

He’s got two messages, but I don’t know if I should give you the second one.

Is that in case I find you out.

You’re being stubborn again.

Okay, hit me with it.

He wants to know at the day of the cup game when you took the penalty. Did you just kick the ball and hope for the best, or did you place it?

I was that scared I just kicked the ball as hard as I could. Lady luck was with me that day.

He thought so, and he forgives you for stealing his glory.

Okay, I’m convinced, you need to give me the second message now.

You sure.

Definitely.

He says, if you don’t ask me out, he’ll tell me why you dressed up as a girl when you were twelve.

© 2019 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Bravo Paul, an exceptional story, from start till end. Great characters, beautiful flowing piece. Intrigue, wonder and a bit of psychic ability thrown into the incredible mix. And loved the ending as well.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Glad you liked it, Dawn. Something about psychics that always keep you wondering.
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

I must admit. I do agree. Just something about them.
A wonderful story Paul. I enjoyed the complete tale leading to perfect ending. I did like the woman. A interesting and smart woman. No weakness in the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

One you take home to your mum.
Wonderful :)
Loved it... :)) still smiling....
Nice one...Paul..

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Nice to see you coming through. lol. Where have you been.
Ardra

5 Years Ago

Heheh me in incognito mode...;)
It is an amazing story, Paul. I loved it. Subject matter of your wonderful story always fascinated me very much. There were mysteries solved with the help of psychics. Beautiful writing.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

I do believe in psychics ( I hope you are not laughing at me) it is very interesting to know what .. read more
Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

I'm quite open minded about it.
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

That is the best attitude to have, and it takes a lot of tolerance and kindness as well.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2019
Last Updated on February 3, 2019

Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell