The Dumping

The Dumping

A Poem by Paul Bell

I met Sally tonight and she’s really down.


Who’s Sally.


Sally, the girl you dumped last month.


Do believe that was by mutual consent.


Anyway, I told her you would meet her in the bar tomorrow night, where she will dump you in front of all her friends, hence building up her self-esteem.


Yeah, no problem, I’m going to the football tomorrow, it’s on the way.


You would just go into a bar and get dumped and ridiculed.


If it builds up your friends self-esteem, no problem.


This will be in front of all her friends, and that doesn’t bother you.


Why would it bother me, it’s not like we’re together.


You really amaze me at times.


I know, just a regular good guy.


You do know she’s going to humiliate you.


I’ll take it like a man.


You would just let that b***h humiliate you in front of everybody. You sure you don’t still have feelings for her.


Okay, something just happened there. She's gone from best friend, to b***h. Did I miss something.


Yes, you did. No one in their right mind would walk into a bar to get dumped.


Have I moved into the twilight zone here. It’s not real the dumping. I’m doing your sort of best friend a favour. Or at least I thought I was. Are you on drugs or something.


Don’t try and turn this on me. No guy in his right mind would do what you're doing.


Let me rewind here. I’m watching the football. You come in and give me this scenario. I agree with it. Now I’m a nutjob.


Of Course, you're a nutjob, no guy in his right mind would agree to do what you're doing,


I can see why your last boyfriend joined the priesthood.


He didn’t join the priesthood because of me. He got the call.


Sort of wishing I got the call too.


That’s it, see tomorrow when Sally dumps you. I’m going to be beside her, and I'm going to dump you too.


So I’m going to a pretend dumping, a real dumping, the football. Does it get any better. Someday i’m going to understand women. Though by that time, I’ll probably be declared insane.

© 2019 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh paul... :p
I missed reading your poems...
Heheh thats one wonderful write ( i am still smiling at how i can relate to it hehehe )


Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

This is you, isn't it. You would just let me do that. lol
very enjoyable, brought a smile, you have to take it on the chin sometimes, had conversations like this myself

Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

He probably never noticed.
Great use of levity and wit
with a very natural flow. It was entertaining and fun.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Who me na, I'm Irish I've never needed my ego boosted :)
Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Like Irish girls, they know how to laugh.
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

That's a fact laugh a lot and yell a little
Paul I’m sixty now and I still don’t understand my female mind (hint we live off our emotions) lol ps that was a big hint 😯. All that aside love the humour the dialogue the flow the banter I love it full stop ✋ got a laugh out of it too

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

See, I knew I wasn't mad. Probably why football was invented. You need a good laugh to get you throu.. read more
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

Lol yes
I agree
ahahahaha love your scenario and great man revealing conversation between characters ... is he talking to his sister, new love, mom??? gotta say, i love that guy! ...he's a trooper wonderfully insensitive and caring at the same time ;) ... fake dump and real dump ... at least he will have the football to comfort and console afterwards ..and perhaps all the beer he can swig before the dump ;) thanks for the humor and fine chuckles as i read :)
E.
ps. love your story telling Paul ... or....it this just another day in the life :)))))))))))))))))

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

I thought this happened to every guy. lol
Paul,
A really funny poem . . . sounds like a verse-play they use to do in the old days (T.S. Elliot and others). The human parade on view! You really think this guy's gonna understand women someday???!!!! No way! I myself have only an inkling, and that has been doled out piecemeal over many years. A "pretend dumping"! Where did you say this bar is and when is this suppose to happen? My passport is all ready.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

The pretend dumping. That didn't bother him.
The real dumping. Didn't bother him either. The .. read more
No guy in his right mind would do, what this person is willing to do!
Is he applying for sainthood or under the total spell of a football game?


Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Well, the football was on the way. lol
perfectly normal situation in every respect.
Was she going to have a full glass in her hand?
possibly a bit more realistic had it been done at center field just before the national anthem was sung
I dunno, maybe not

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

That would be a total riddy.
what a great twist...she is really the one who needs revenge, not Sally...
i love your sense of humor...
hope the football game was worth it....the stop-off before.
and part of this also shows how guys can be so thoughtless, so unaware of how their words and actions can hurt others.
well done.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Just getting to understand the female mind. lol
Indeed one needs a certain modicum of insanity in order to survive in the "Me Too" world lol! Loved this witty little bit of repartie. Flowing and filled with great dialogue.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Paul Bell

5 Years Ago

Thank god for football, the get out of jail card.
John Alexander McFadyen

5 Years Ago

Rugby dude, rugby union!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2019
Last Updated on April 8, 2019

Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..