Basketball Season

Basketball Season

A Poem by Pen Draggin'

 Basketball Season

Six years and two seasons ago we were freshman
and the cold ate at the branches like
freezer burn but it was toasty
inside and smelled of paste and floor wax.
We sacrificed the warmth. The whistles and buzzers.
The wooden bleachers that powered so
elegantly back into the wall. We spent too much time there
anyway.
And I tried to keep my knee socks high under
denim that had soaked the rain up like a wick as we walked.
My intentions were selfish. I wanted to get next to you.
We curled our fingers around hot coffee cups and laughed
good laughs. The kind that rattle ribcages.
Beneath the table between us
my leg had brushed yours.
My face lit up in a blush announcing my desires
complete. And my eyes were thrown to the floor.
I could not meet yours.
We were still young
and curfews were still in existence and the street lights had been on
for hours.
I was glowing
with my trite accomplishment and smiling
out the door. Consumed with simple pleasure
I lost the offer to walk me home.

© 2009 Pen Draggin'


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the innocence of this. Everything from the brushing of the leg, to the curfews, to the street lamps -- for some reason I have an obsession with street lamps, they seem to make it in a lot of my writing. I loved this though. Brought me back to that young age where everything about being "romantic" is exciting. And the ending, so brilliant. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I enjoyed reading this. The title made me think i wasnt going to but you surprised me. Great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Your style is so smooth and crisp, painting this world so vividly. As has been said, it's so innocent and cute, but I like it more for it's originality, by which i mean the young love that is so rarely (if ever) written about. It is (in every sense of the word) a beautiful write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very cute and innocent in description. From the curfew to the blushing, it took me back to a more simple time w/o bills. Very descriptive and intelligent......

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the innocence of this. Everything from the brushing of the leg, to the curfews, to the street lamps -- for some reason I have an obsession with street lamps, they seem to make it in a lot of my writing. I loved this though. Brought me back to that young age where everything about being "romantic" is exciting. And the ending, so brilliant. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was infinitely lovely. The title caught my eye because I love all things basketball, but to read your poem, to give such grace to things so small and possibly insignificant to others is such a wonderful gift.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 11, 2009
Last Updated on August 8, 2009

Author

Pen Draggin'
Pen Draggin'

Portland, OR



About
Hi! I'm Kelsey, I'm 22 years old with a passion for poetry. I write because it is innate and, quite simply, I'm pretty f*****g good at it. I love the rain. I will always belong to the Northwest. I sa.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..