No Deal

No Deal

A Story by P.J. Lowry
"

Something goes wrong when one person suddenly doesn't feel like playing the game anymore...

"

          “Do you have any idea how difficult it is to catch a spy?” He really didn’t address anyone in particular and stood there in the middle of the room, looking at everyone, hoping someone would speak. No one did. “Davis, do you know how much man power, how many countless weeks, no, months of investigating and ground work it took to track this piece of s**t down and bring him in?”

          Davis seemed uncomfortable by the question, but he didn’t let it bother him. “What I know is that the deal has been made.”

          “I don’t like this f*****g deal!” The man snapped back. He voice echoing around the room like a cracked whip.

          “I can see that.” Davis replied, “But it’s not your call Charles.”

          That didn’t seem to settle Charles down. It only seems to provoke him even further. He stood there and fumed for a moment. Seconds later Charles picked up the chair behind his desk and hurled it at the wall, shattering various frames that were hanging there, sending glass and a few of the frames crashing to the ground with what was left of the chair. He paused for a moment, while everyone in the room looked at him in stunned silence. “Get the f**k out.”

          “Excuse me?” Davis asked.

          “I said get your no good, sneaky, good for nothing bureaucratic faces the f**k out of my office!” Charles replied at the top of his lungs. Many people in the room were quick to leave once given permission. None of them had ever seen Charles this furious about anything.

          Davis didn’t budge. He remained seated and waited until the door was closed behind him. “You have no choice to accept it, Charles.”

          “That doesn’t mean I have to like it.” Charles replied.

          Davis stood up and adjusted his tie. “We will be taking the damage to your office out of your salary.”

          “The hell you will.” Charles quickly replied. “I did my job. This, my future bar tabs and whatever damage I do for the next two days coming out of your budget for pissing on my parade.” 

          Davis paused for a moment. “Fine.”

          Charles quickly moved from behind his desk and met Davis at his door. “If you ever pull this political bullshit on me again before I get a chance to properly interrogate my prisoner for intel, they will not even be able to identify your body with dental records. Are we clear on this?”

          Davis looked him in the eyes and realized how serious he was. “We’re very clear, director.”

          “Good.” Charles said as he opened his door. “Get the f**k out.”

          After Davis left the room every one in the offices outside his own watched as Davis marched out of the hallway and was gone. Charles was still fuming over the same old bullshit. Some said that the cold war was over, but still his agency was catching spies. They were still watching the enemy as if it was still 1985, and no one was taking this seriously. His words and warnings were falling on deaf ears. It was one thing to be dismissed for whatever reason but to be totally ignored to the point where you can’t interrogate someone for evidence infuriated him. To Charles, that was the final straw. He went back to his desk and picked up the phone. A few seconds later his secretary picked up the phone. “What can I do for you, Sir?”

          “Contact the office of the secretary of defence.” He ordered. “I would like to speak with him as soon as possible.”

          “He’s not taking calls from us right now Sir.” She replied. “I’ve been trying to call all morning.”

          “Then I’ll call them myself.” Charles said as he disconnected and dialled the number himself. After a few rings someone picked up the line. “Hello there, this is Charles Smith. Yes, that Charles Smith. I need to speak with Secretary Harry Mills. He’s not in?” Charles paused for a moment. “May I leave a message? Thank you. Please tell Mr. Mills that this is his friend Charles calling. Tell him I still have the photos from Florida and that if he doesn’t return my call within an hour, I will leak them to the press and end him. Thank you very much. Have a great day.”

          Less than twenty minutes later, Charles’ phone buzzed. “Yes.” He said into the speaker.

          “Secretary Mills on line one.” His secretary replied.

          “Put him through.” Charles said. He paused for a moment and spoke after the line beeped. “Harry, nice to hear back from you.”

          “F**k you Charles, how could you bring up Florida?” Mills said as his voice came on the line.

          “That’s what happens when you ignore your friends, especially when they’re angry.” Charles replied. “I heard you signed off on this f*****g trade.”

          “I did and it wasn’t my call. It came straight from the top.” Mills replied. “So I can’t reverse it for you. It’s happening.”

          “I know.” Charles conceded. “I’m not mad at you Harry nor am I calling to rip you a new one.”

          “Okay.” Mills replied. “Then why are you calling me?”

          “I need a favour.” Charles said. “A big one.”

          It took a few minutes for Mills to agree to his request but since he wasn’t protesting anymore and actually accepting what was going on, the brass didn’t have a problem with it. Charles was pleased to see the big boys conceding this request to him as the chopper was waiting for him at the roof of the building less than a half hour after he got of the phone with the secretary of defence.

          The chopper arrived at the naval airfield less than twenty minutes later and dropped him off less than a hundred feet from the plane. It was a large military aircraft, one used to transport vehicles and men to wherever they needed to go. Charles looked a little overdressed compared to everyone else who was waiting for him, but he didn’t give a s**t. He was carrying a briefcase and a travel bag as he approached the plane. Two soldiers walked up to him just before he reached the rear entrance to the massive aircraft. “Sir, what are you doing?”

          “I’m going to catch a ride.” Charles answered as he pulled a fax out from his jacket. “I have clearance to hitchhike on this flight, care of the secretary of defence.”

          The soldiers looked at the paper work. “Welcome aboard, Director.”

          Charles nodded his thanks and walked past the two men and boarded the plane via the rear entrance. He used to be a soldier so he was fine riding coach with the guys. There was no place he’d rather be anyway. He walked over to a particular seat and paused for a moment. “I’m afraid you’re sitting in my seat.”

          The soldier who was sitting their looked up at him, “And who the f**k are you, a*****e?”

          “That’s Charles Smith.” the man sitting next to him answered. “He’s the director of the CIA. Apparently you’re sitting in his seat.”

          The soldier has no idea and vacated the seat for him. Charles thanks him and sat down. “It’s interesting how you just happened to know who I am.” Charles said as he put his bags down in the empty row in front of them. “For a spy you are very well informed.”

          “No matter what job any person does, normally those who are the most successful are the ones who do their homework.” The man replied. “You’re wasting your time.”

          “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Charles countered.

          “I’m being returned to my country in a prisoner exchange.” The spy answered. “Just because you’re coming along doesn’t mean I’m going to tell you anything on the way there.”

          “Don’t worry about me.” Charles said as he pulled out his cell phone. “I’ve got twitter and you tube to keep me busy. I’ll be fine.”

          It was a long flight and the spy was true to his word. He never answered a single question or gave a single piece of intel. With close to twenty soldiers on the flight, Charles wasn’t able to use any of his interrogation methods, legal or otherwise to get him to spit anything out. He was aware of that and it wasn’t the reason why he wanted to tag along. Once the plane landed, all of them walked out. The spy looked over at Charles as they both looked at the long runway. At the other end of the runway was another plane, and their prisoners. The exchange was going to take place right there on the airstrip. “I guess this is where we say good bye, Charles?”

          “Not exactly.” Charles said as he grabbed the spy by the arms and started to walk him down the runway. “I’ve been authorized to make the trade myself.”

          About halfway down the runway, they stopped and were greeted by two men. One of them was their own spy and the other was a man Charles hadn’t seen in a long, long time. “Hello Demetri.” He called out.
          “Hello Charles.” Demetri replied. “When I heard you were coming out to make this trade yourself, I thought I would see it for myself. How long has it been?”

          “Too long.” Charles said with a smile. “When we last met, we were the spies. Now we’re both the fat cats. Directors of our own agencies.”

          “I think they were crazy to put either of us in charge.” Demetri said with a laugh.

          Charles chucked as well. “You might be right but I’m glad you’re here. I would prefer to deliver this message in person.”

          “What message?” Demetri asked.

          Without warning, Charles dug into his coat and pulled out a gun, a glock that no one had bothered to check him for. At first he pointed it at his own prisoner’s jugular. Seconds later, he pointed somewhere else and fired. With a single shot, Charles put a hole in the chest of the prisoner that Demetri had brought to trade for his own. Before Demetri had a chance to administer medical aid to his prisoner, Charles fired three more bullets into his own spy, killing him. Charles then turned the gun on his own prisoner, popping a single shot into his head, killing him instantly. Both prisoners were now dead.

          Demetri has no idea what to say, as he was clearly stunned. As he stood back up, Charles pointed the gun at him. “What is the meaning of this?” he screamed.

          “No more bullshit.” Charles said as he lowered his weapon. “From now on if I catch a spy, my men are going to kill him or her on sight. No more trades, no more cloak and dagger bullshit.”

          “What about your spies?” Demetri asked.

          “They are not my spies!” Charles shouted back at him. “They’re from another agency that couldn’t find a shitter in the dark with boots and a flashlight. My people are not in your country anymore because I was under the impression that we were friends. My spies are in other nations, doing work that will benefit both our nations.”

          “Is this your message?” Demetri asked as he looking around at the two bodies as they bled out on the airfield.

          “No.” Charles said as he holstered his gun. “My message is this: if you continue to act like my enemy, then I will treat you like my enemy. Are we clear on this, Demetri?”

          Demetri didn’t answer. Charles didn’t wait for him to as he started to walk back to his plane. Let the a******s in Washington clean up the mess they started in the first place. They’ll certainly think twice before messing with him again.

 

© 2011 P.J. Lowry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on November 16, 2011
Last Updated on November 16, 2011

Author

P.J. Lowry
P.J. Lowry

Hamilton , Ontario , Canada



About
Born in Ontario in 1975, P.J. has been writing fiction and poetry for over 25 years. He earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland in 2002, majoring in English language .. more..

Writing
V-Day V-Day

A Poem by P.J. Lowry