The Legend

The Legend

A Story by Philip Smith

"No Ordinary Legend"
Upstate New York
C‎lear Cut Lumber Camp 17                                                                    
April 1912
"Come on Gamache, us new guys have never heard the story".  a young logger said
Roland Gamache was a fifty two year old French Canadian lumberjack who had worked for the Clear family lumber or mining business for over thirty five years. 
"It was close to where we are right now about two miles up there , between the Devil's Mistresses". Gamache said pointing north towards the twin peaks the miners and loggers refered to by that name. Gamache paused more for effect than to refill his tin coffee cup. Sipping he continued.
"Close to two years ago along the Devil's Tongue four loggers, Clear Cut men they were". 
" Devil's Tongue why they call it that". a logger interupted.
Gamache pointed to the river running a mere twenty feet away. "See how the river runs between the mountians. He licks between his Mistresses the devil he does. Now you want to hear the story or ask questions". Gamache asked. Just then a chorus of ok's and yes's echoed in the camp.
"The devil he plays in this area, this is his playground and he played with those men that night". he took a sip of coffee peering over the cup he knew he had their attention now.
He continued "The loggers had been up at camp 20 for about a week, supplies would arrive on the tenth day". he said as he spat into the fire.

© 2012 Philip Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

The story has grabbed my attention so far Waiting to read more. Starts well with good descriptions of people and background. Flows easily. Anyway welcome to the Best Sellers group.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the atmosphere you create. It feels like a natural conversation and story, including the interruptions and small actions of the story teller.

And you used the wrong, "there," in the second to last paragraph.

Nice story!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

holding me captive :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this...........where do I read more? please, please........

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2012
Last Updated on February 17, 2012

Author

Philip Smith
Philip Smith

Small town in Texas, TX



About
Just learning this trade and loving it. My writing style could best be described as all over the map. I play with adventure, paranormal/supernatural, thriller, to even a children's series. None as yet.. more..

Writing