Cell mate.

Cell mate.

A Poem by Phoen-ix

The taste of forgiveness is sweet, but so is lobotomy.

Sincere apologies aren't always genuine and lately, the cards on the table just don't match up. 

What were you thinking? That night when you walked into my place, getting on your hands and knees and scrubbing the filthy, black floors. No matter how hard you scrubbed, no matter how much you wanted it to be clean, the floor was still a sickly colour. 

 Giving up, you turned and looked at me with sorrow-filled eyes, uttering words that would make a deaf man's stomach turn.  Something inside of me, acted upon your actions and it wasn't until I was sitting in a white gown in a cold, dark cell, that I realized what you had said. Neuroleptics coursed through my veins causing my blood to boil; open wounds under a shower of salt. Hearing screams and hollow cries from near, made my soul quiver with excitement and oh, how my god-damn heart was sick of it. The words, "white devil" were still ringing in my ears, while your petrified eyes burned my skin.

 

From the outside, the pretty white coats tried to treat religion with mental illness. An anti-psychotic would only be able to treat the insane.

 

© 2013 Phoen-ix


Author's Note

Phoen-ix
I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking while writing this, it just kind of wrote itself. What do you think of it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Trying to clean that dirty black floor and unable to, can relate especially when someone has a naive view of the world as I thinking that I could reason with a******s who knowing turn a blind eye and choose to make things worse. Props to the cell mate, few get down in the dirt or even try. It breaks the heart a little at a time when hopelessness sinks in... I like your raw perspective, somewhat cold in parts, but brutal honesty can treat the insane who deny the truth or what they see.

Posted 10 Years Ago


*smile* do i want to know what inspired this? i'm trying to image.

interesting. this one slapped me around a bit. impactful poems should beat the hell of the reader every once in a while. well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This was an interesting write, indeed. I am glad to have read it. Sadly, there are not many places for then mentally ill to go, more or less, places who are openly willing to take them in and give them proper forms of treatment. I feel that those with a mental illness of some kind are honestly prone to be pushed more towards art and being creative. They use art as a therapy and push the limits beyond it's potential. Though, I do pity some of those with mental illnesses who aren't able to get the proper treatment they need. We just have to take it day by day and try our best.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Damn... Wonderful imagery. Painfully intense. I love it. It takes me to a moment in my own past... Thank you for the journey!

Posted 10 Years Ago


That's what it's all about, writing itself. It moving, not you. Moments like that, are the most true times of our lives. This is real and current, something one must see and believe before the greater things.

Good writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Black and white...and we have to wait to see...

This is something ones itself...in a creative way...

Posted 10 Years Ago


its...interesting. very interesting in fact

Posted 10 Years Ago


Feels like a free flowing write that tells a story; an interesting one at that, full of angst and truth. Great write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow!I really liked this. The ending really got me and is kinda creeping in my brain making me think deeper to try to see and try to view what you are thinking. You did a great job!

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

837 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 5, 2013
Last Updated on September 5, 2013

Author

Phoen-ix
Phoen-ix

Canada



About
There's not much to say. more..

Writing
Mirrors Mirrors

A Poem by Phoen-ix


Self Love Self Love

A Poem by Phoen-ix



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Carnations Carnations

A Poem by Phoen-ix