Love Letter to My Island

Love Letter to My Island

A Story by smalltownsympathies

To my dearest desolate Island,
It is to you that I have returned after all these years, as a cold hearted and disheveled monstrosity in the presence of such great beauty. Memories of our only summer together bring about so many unarmed sentiments, and I ache to remember all the violently sweet perfect words that you had sung to me, a whispered lullaby, beckoning me, seducing me. Even now, I am able to sense the tranquillity that had fills my heart as I  close my eyes, listening to the resounding echo of my steps just as they used to, gently frolicking atop your softened soil, our tiny corner of the earth. I called you hope. I named you freedom. And for so long, I had remained within the promise land, beneath the blinding rays of the guiding sun. And now, I realize that perhaps I had never fully sought after the true reflection in your watery gaze, as you begged for me to never leave. One fine day, the rushed waters of your once babbling brook, now located amidst the surmounted cracks of natures’ misfortunes, cried out to me, yearning for me to grasp the desperately wandering tips of your grassy meadow; to save you, as you had once saved the lost soul within me. But I had turned from you. As your sky had shifted into shades of grey, and the twitching face of your waters finally turned still, my parting steps resonated against your paled walls. I had forsaken you.
      Oh, my Island, how I wish I could feel the whisper of your breath against my cheek, and listen to the reverberating skip of delicate stones skimming against your surface. If only I had remained within you-and you, within me. The memories you’ve left me sway like cottontails in my mind; I shall never return here.

With all lasting love,

The image in the water.

© 2011 smalltownsympathies


Author's Note

smalltownsympathies
This was a very recent writing assignment in my English class. We had to photograph a place that was meaningful to us and write a creative piece that reflected the importance of the place.
Please, review, review, review! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i usually ignore stories sent to me for they are too long ...but yours was short and I am happy I read through it...I thought the actual subject was great and you did a great job of holding the readers hand through the journey...great write!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
1 Review
Added on April 9, 2011
Last Updated on April 9, 2011

Author

smalltownsympathies
smalltownsympathies

nowhereville, NY



About
16; female. Highly pessimistic. Addicted to the pen in my hand and my love, the only one that holds my heart. Vacant feelings, broad emotions. I am a paradox within my own being. more..

Writing