Similie-"A City In Ruins"

Similie-"A City In Ruins"

A Poem by PoeT4994
"

This seems like a dark poem, and it is. It was written to bring light to a dark subject. Because there ARE people out there that are in this amount of pain. But the final message brings inspiration

"
Her body...is like a city in ruins.
Her organs flicker on and off like dying lights.
Her lungs are twin towers that have fallen.
Her ribs are columns that USED to support beauty but are slowly crumbling.
Her throat is a damaged boom-box that sits on the stoop of a house that no one visits.
It whispers old school jams that remind her of what once was.
Her mind is a subway with graffitied trains running empty souls of past boyfriends through her memories.
Dirt sifts in between her brain cells but, there's no significant life here.
Like cracks in a sidewalk.
Arteries are unleveled sidewalks that are coated with the blood of teens and raped children, on every conrner of her veins you can find HIV cells slinging crack rocks to fallen immune systems.
Arthritis bends and repress' her fingers like broken highways that point to unobtainable pipe dreams.
Dirty pipes convex through like bones that SCREEEAM with every movement, and her knees are empty stadiums with lights that dim shadows of those movements.
They pray to unforgiving temples of five dollar blow jobs and crack pipe window pains decorate her church.
The roads to her lungs are jagged.
They bleed black like asphalt.
Leprosy tracks yellow lines down these roads.
They all lead to a single stop sign that reads "Cancer".
There's a motherless child walking backwards from the stop sign into negative grown images of VHS flashback's.
Unsuccessful kids litter her streets like paper and loot her dreams.
Unfertilized eggs fall like apples from dead tree limb ovaries.
She still lives in the night life of herself.
Her nose still skies down the snowy white mountains that peek her sinuses.
Smoke bellows like warped atmospheres on the surface of her lungs.
Alcohol flows rivers down her back alley spine.
And rapists wait on the edge of her vertebrate.
Little dollies pack the ground so that the trip to her cerebellum does not seem as rough.
There's a house, that sits just on the outskirts of her fingertips.
She uses acrylic nails to try to bridge to others across the ditches she's dug.
Her teeth are bent inwards and some are missing, so no matter what you can still see the back of her throat where lies dance with her tonsils.
Her throat is dented with pot holes and sewers.
There's a dilapidated city hall in her heart.
Every few years the janitor opens the doors for the dust to cascade out.
Bays rest in her eyes.
There are countless sloppy speed bumps that mark her wrists.
And there are twins committing suicide to their reflections in the glassless mirrors of the dance hall in her feet.
Broken glass coats her toe nails.
The concrete that foundations her is crumbling.
The sidewalks are bleeding.
Three of the columns in her ribs have fallen.
The subway system of her dreams is slowing down more and more each year.
The lights in the stadiums of her knees are starting to flicker.
The highways are decomposing into concrete trees.
There are no more hinges left on the doors of her teeth.
And city hall is starting to wither, imploding on her heart.
No one lives here except unborn children and the lost souls that take up residence just behind her kidneys.
It's no wonder she hears whispers in the bathroom.
She is 38 years old and her body is like a city in ruins, but everyday she wakes up with a smile on her face.
So to all the broken, drug addict, slit wrist women...it's never too late to start rebuilding.

© 2012 PoeT4994


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

...wow. I'm rarely at a loss for words. I have read this twice and am still unsure what to say.

This poem has such great balance. It seems so long, almost over-detailed, but it works very well. You start out soft, then take off somewhere the reader may not have seen, and pull it back at the end. I do feel you don't necessarily need to say to whom you are speaking in the last sentence, but if you want to leave it that's fine. It's a message you get throughout the poem. Normally, poems with lines that go all the way across would bother me, but I think this works SO well in this poem. The form itself seems broken, scattered. It just adds to the experience. It's interesting you kept it as one stanza. I think it's good this way, so the reader doesn't get an escape from the onslaught.

Your imagery is breath-taking. Even say, five images in this poem are immensely striking enough to deserve commending, but you go on and on. This is fantastic! Each image is fresh. You may use a few cliches in some places, but you add such a personal twist that you make it your own.

If any part of the poem needs a little more work it's the end. I think maybe you just ran out of steam a little or something. It needs a little more of the spice you had in the rest of the poem.

The message behind this is great. I wasn't expecting it at all, but it made the experience all the more enjoyable. One of the beauties of this poem is that it seems easy to relate to for almost anyone, whether or not they have been through everything this woman has. I feel like I really know this woman, or have gone through some of what she has. It's powerful.

My favorite lines, although many are great:
"Her mind is a subway with graffitied trains running empty souls of past boyfriends through her memories."
"on every conrner of her veins you can find HIV cells slinging crack rocks to fallen immune systems."
"Unsuccessful kids litter her streets like paper and loot her dreams."
"Her teeth are bent inwards and some are missing, so no matter what you can still see the back of her throat where lies dance with her tonsils."
"It's no wonder she hears whispers in the bathroom."

I must say I'm always on the search for a truly talented writer on here, and I think I have found this in you. Please, keep writing. I'm really astounded.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i loved the last line.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
this is down but uplifting, second chance to repair themselves, excellent job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

there are no words to say because this poem brings tears to my eyes and it is so good and i hope you still keep up this writng!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That is a great poem. I really don't know what to say it is so good.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I picked another poem first place but this wasn't far behind! I gave you second because first place was beautifully written and easy to read. your is absoloutely pheomenal dont get me wrong! one of the best i think and definitely a good read. i loved the ideas that you used, they were really original and like ive said before this poem has a really sad and meaningful message which becomes almost uplifting at the end! i will share this wih all of my friends on here and i wish you the best in your writing xxxx

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is I think the best piece I've read on here, it is so deep and sounds heartfelt x I love the uplifting if slightly sad message at the end it was wonderful. Normally I get bored reading long poems but I read yours over and over xx beautiful similes and metaphor xx

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Very very ncoe poem! I loved it! I would also like to inform you that it has reached the top three finalists in the Imagery. Ah! Contest and voting has opened. So you may want to check it out..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was another gorgeous piece. I loved the first simile, and loved it even more when you expanded upon it throughout the entire piece. More beautiful imagery, and even better with the brilliant hope shining towards the end. Almost all of the poem was description, which, honestly, would normally drive me crazy, but it was with the description that the substance came, that the hardhitting end was able to hit hard. This was powerful, and absolutely gorgeous. Absolutely wonderful write.
I am truly jealous of your ability. :)
100/100 from me. Again.
-Coral-

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
X
the imagery.... the imagery, you are my inspiration dude. nice to have you back man, keep on writing! this peice was great. you deserve L.A.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The body's a city.... very good, original metaphor. I liked this piece a lot.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1436 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on June 4, 2010
Last Updated on April 17, 2012
Tags: Her, body, is, like, a, city, in, ruins, crack, addict, drugs, mom, mother, pain, smoke, drink, alcohol, poet, poetry, poem, spoken, word, Christian, write, sides.


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Parallel Loving Parallel Loving

A Poem by Dan