"I Used To Know A Girl"

"I Used To Know A Girl"

A Poem by PoeT4994
"

Wanted to write a poem about my struggling to get back the loving relationship I had with my ex.

"
I knew this girl once.
We were close.
Like the Big Bang.
Like lips.
She had a face like a lively city.
Bright and exciting, and welcoming.
I noticed she would turn to the side and paint the universe in her eyes right before she would look at me.
Just to remind me she was looking at her everything.
We used to wear rainbows like scarfs.
And good intentions like belts.
We were perfect.
She looked like, like, she looked like a goddess twice over.
And skin wrapped in bright tomorrows that glowed when we hugged.
She, she was the one I loved.
Holding a bottle in her hands, waiting to capture two wishes and a hope.
I had hope, but was still looking for the two wishes.
She was fine with that.
We never danced, because the beats of our hearts were too intense to keep up with.
We just sat, and listened to a future wedding ring jingling inside our knuckles when we held hands.
Y'all, it was like a movie that it's end credits hated.
They never came around.
They just watched.
We had that sort of 1 out of 10 high school love that was legit.
And planned on making it, for a long time to come.
Our favorite thing to do was sit, and throw echoes like river stones at shooting stars, hoping they would whisper back one day.
We would lay in each other's arms like the world was never going to end.
Like our love would keep us warm.
Like we had the secret.
Bunched up and tucked behind our ears.
I don't know that girl anymore, but sometimes she says she doesn't know me either.
Sometimes she doesn't WANT to no me, either.
I don't know about this thing called love. 
Sometimes it hurts. 
And she knows it, but I just want her to understand the Bob Marley quote "The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."
And I just want to ask, am I worth suffering for?
Maybe you can write the answer on the back of that secret, and put back behind my ear next time we hug like fireworks and the sky.
Sometimes I see the cities breaking off of her face.
Sometimes i see them crying.
She tells me the rainbow scarf is sitting in the back of her closet, scrunched and wrinkly.
I tell her it's OK.
There's more.
Love, it's a tragedy waiting to happen.
It's a never ending pain that sleeps, right between reality and "does this even make sense."
I knew a girl once, but I don't know her anymore.
She says her feelings a lost and wandering.
Her heart is a schizo, who's intentions flicker on and off more than the lights in a motel.
The tears have washed those painted universes out of her eyes.
And I've cried too.
Love has thrown me to the ground, and took her face away.
And tucked her heart under a shadow.
But I'm getting back up.
And ready for the second round.
And to that girl, I want to say, I'm ready to do this over again, do it the right way.
The scarf was too small.
We're going to wear rainbows like smiles.
And I'm going to paint Space into the ceilings above you.
Stitch the corners to the walls with asteroid belts.
We will be close.
Like lips kissing.
Like God and a humans heart.
I will wear change like a new suit.
And keep it clean.
Your arms can be my necklace.
Your legs my belt.
I promise that you will know me again.
And find what you found in the first place that made you love me.
I promise we will do love the right way.
I knew this girl once.
And unfortunately, she became a mystery to me.
But I will stand by until she tosses the shadow away like a bad habit.
Runs into my arms, and whispers "I missed you."

© 2010 PoeT4994


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Even this beginning is very intense, like the rest of your writing. How easily you describe your situation, "we were close/like the Big Bang". The first half does a spectacular job of painting an innocent love, with no need for theatrics, just holding hands and laying together. You choose very fresh metaphors. I love the blinking of her heart, like lights in a hotel. You always astound me. It's lovely to get such different, long-bodied metaphors, along with the simplest ones that say so much, "Your arms can be my necklace". Love poems are often an annoyance to me, but you always seem to pull it off. Great job!

Keep writing. Sorry I only review every so often. I feel like each piece of yours I read deserves more attention than I could give if I read them all at once.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

one of the very best ive read. bravo

Posted 13 Years Ago


I can't tell you how many times I've felt like this, always thinking of flickers if fantasies that I know may never come. This is amazing,
of course.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Even this beginning is very intense, like the rest of your writing. How easily you describe your situation, "we were close/like the Big Bang". The first half does a spectacular job of painting an innocent love, with no need for theatrics, just holding hands and laying together. You choose very fresh metaphors. I love the blinking of her heart, like lights in a hotel. You always astound me. It's lovely to get such different, long-bodied metaphors, along with the simplest ones that say so much, "Your arms can be my necklace". Love poems are often an annoyance to me, but you always seem to pull it off. Great job!

Keep writing. Sorry I only review every so often. I feel like each piece of yours I read deserves more attention than I could give if I read them all at once.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

thid was so sad, but it had a glimmer of hope in it. its hard, not being with the one you love, and harder so if they act like they never knew you. great job :]

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A harsh time, a time of yearning, this poem portrays that really well love!
Beautfiully voiced
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2010
Last Updated on June 28, 2010