The Cold One

The Cold One

A Story by -Cynical Divine-
"

Because everyone else was undeniably insane

"

 

Some say the mind carries an embedding of incontinence
 
That inside, deep down in the unconscious
A certain spore of much vivid lechery
Is having its way with our mind
Without any thought to our personal consent
 
That when he commits a federal crime
It was on the basis of his own desire
He is a person lacking self-discipline
Falling into the trap of sinful human incentives
 
Most importantly, the absence of remorse
Of which he is incapable of presenting
Nor the consideration to whom he has afflicted
 
Does he ponder what he's done?
He shakes his head in offbeat rhythm
Sitting in the tiny cemented room
Steel bars jutting up from the ground
The unconscious spore pulsing against his skull
Accusing and berating the man of this predicament
 
He wanted a way out, yet how can you escape from your own self?
The prescriptions had done nothing but been a short relief from reality
His mind strained to look inward, to the self he does not fully know
Something was there, bringing his conscious thoughts to a halt.
 
It told him things that aroused his thoughts
Made him come out of his line of reason
To a place where logic had no meaning
And everyone was against him.
 
And where there was no trust
There only was him and his mind to care for
Because everyone else was undeniably insane
And so upon the day of his release it came to be
That he felt once again the satisfaction of the warm oozing liquid
Covering his hands, as he put the rest of it back into the cooler
The little girl's small limbs providing sufficient space for the rest of his grocery
 
His mind laughed.

© 2009 -Cynical Divine-


Author's Note

-Cynical Divine-
A look into the mind of the emotionally inept.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review


AKA, Iggy the Icky Id.

One could argue that only the skin gives the illusion of personhood, given the ramshackle nature of so many psychic assemblages given a "John Doe' label.

Wryly creepy touch, that business with "oozing liquid" and "little girl limbs" and "his mind laughed" -- "mind of the emotionally inept" indeed.

The chilling observation that the "The Cold One" considers "everyone else" "undeniably insane" is quite effective.

What's uncannily ironic, is that he may not be wrong (it's a question of degree). But his solace is hideously dreadful. Positing a calibrated spectrum of criminality and insanity as being deeply endemic to humankind is a darkly Gnostic observation -- cynically divine. Rather than some inept excuse for the worst of us, it might encourage fewer easier answers about just what the ruling orders of the world think they are really up to.

Coldly effective and thought-provoking piece.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Excellent write! I used to shy away from the dark and disassociated kind, but have found that it is more gray than I knew.
It told him things that aroused his thoughts
Made him come out of his line of reason
To a place where logic had no meaning
And everyone was against him.
Standing O!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was stunning Cynically Divine. Very coldly written, as if from the mind of a reptile. I love playing with the idea that sanity merely a "herd concept" and can be twisted and bent. Everything is relative, of course excepting the one Objective. . .that all is in fact relative.

Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago



AKA, Iggy the Icky Id.

One could argue that only the skin gives the illusion of personhood, given the ramshackle nature of so many psychic assemblages given a "John Doe' label.

Wryly creepy touch, that business with "oozing liquid" and "little girl limbs" and "his mind laughed" -- "mind of the emotionally inept" indeed.

The chilling observation that the "The Cold One" considers "everyone else" "undeniably insane" is quite effective.

What's uncannily ironic, is that he may not be wrong (it's a question of degree). But his solace is hideously dreadful. Positing a calibrated spectrum of criminality and insanity as being deeply endemic to humankind is a darkly Gnostic observation -- cynically divine. Rather than some inept excuse for the worst of us, it might encourage fewer easier answers about just what the ruling orders of the world think they are really up to.

Coldly effective and thought-provoking piece.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I found this piece creatively done. Dark. Disassociated. Disturbing. Excellent qualities for the topic. Kudos.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You seem to have this down to a science, a very good story, a definite pleasure to read your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow! You have a knack for writing stories.
This is true too.
If there is no trust among people we have nothing.
I like this, you did a wonderful write here.



Posted 15 Years Ago


Awesome write, I love the whole concept.
And yeah, I don't think people like them could ever stop. They have this mentality that can never be changed, even if they wanted to, even though at most situations they wouldn't even want to change.
But then, I don't really think it is possible for the criminal to ever be let out if he kills, it's a serial killer thing, no one ever gets let out.
I love the way you wrote this, so yay. Awesome work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Amazing imagery and intellectual word use. I loved reading the story although it took me two times to get the flavour of your narrative.

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Zak
Wow. Seems like you've got the mind of the criminal down to a T. It's absolutely true; some people just never stop.
The Prose is pretty amazing, as well. I love the way you moved your sentences to where they truly gave that "juvenile understanding."

One thing. I'm wondering why you have the first three lines and last four lines of the final paragraph were grouped together. What effect do they have on one another so that you would put them into a single paragraph?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
9 Reviews
Added on January 2, 2009
Last Updated on January 2, 2009

Author

-Cynical Divine-
-Cynical Divine-

About
Just here to scribe...and spread my intellectual deviance. more..

Writing