Reality isn't very realistic

Reality isn't very realistic

A Story by Pollyanna

I love how the media continues to report that the recession is officially over . . . seriously?  Where would that be exactly because it sure looks like it's still going strong here.

 

I don't even want to think about how long I've been looking for a job or calculate exactly how many resumes I've submitted and applications I've completed since the baby was born in mid-August, but I do know I've had six interviews in the past month (this includes both phone and in-person) and zero call backs.  Now, I realize I've been out of the corporate world for over 10 years and I certainly don't expect to walk back in making the money I was before, but should it really be this difficult considering the experience I have?  Name something and chances are I've done it sometime during the past 20+ years.

 

Here's the truth they don't want you to know:  nobody's hiring.  They're placing ads and they're doing interviews, but unless it's for a seasonal job, actual hiring is extremely rare.  Most companies are playing it very close to the vest due to financial uncertainty and some are still in their own recovery process, if they're lucky.  I know it's also being reported that the unemployment rate is on the decline, but what they don't tell you is how it's due primarily to these seasonal positions being filled and all the people who have run out of extensions for benefits; it's certainly not due to an actual increase in any long-term employment being available.

 

And now on to the other side of this particular conundrum . . .

 

If you are lucky enough to find one of those elusive, long-term positions, don't be surprised if you are then underemployed because employers seldom pay what people are worth since they often can't afford to.  This situation can cause added issues since you are now officially employed, but will possibly make too much to qualify for any state assistance you may have received during your period of unemployment.  It's a classic "catch 22" scenario.

 

So what can you do?  Personally, I was informed I should go back to school.  Specifically, it was suggested I should go for medical assistant certification which is an 18 month program, on average.  Now that's all fine and whatnot, but this was from the same man who told me it would be pointless to further my education in any field, because I'm only a stay-at-home-mom.  He wouldn't even discuss the small detail of how to PAY for these classes since he's also working on his Associate's degree.  Afterall, the reality is that living paycheck-to-paycheck isn't very conducive to furthering anyone's education.

 

Maybe I will look into taking some online classes and research student loans while I continue my job search.  It wouldn't hurt and I do have my future to look forward to; might as well try to make it as secure as I can while I'm able.

© 2011 Pollyanna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An excellent write. I am holding on to my job for dear life myself. I am way over qualified for it, but jobs are hard to come by. I am amazed when I see coworkers coming in late or doing their job halfway....don't they realize how precious jobs are right now?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

An excellent write. I am holding on to my job for dear life myself. I am way over qualified for it, but jobs are hard to come by. I am amazed when I see coworkers coming in late or doing their job halfway....don't they realize how precious jobs are right now?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So much truth, this is one good write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2011
Last Updated on April 4, 2011
Tags: education, future, hope

Author

Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Lake St. Louis, MO



About
Pol·ly·an·na noun ˌpä-lē-ˈa-nə a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything I'm really nobody speci.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..