5 Minutes in the Dark

5 Minutes in the Dark

A Story by Poppletron
"

Day 6 Prompt: Looking back, it wasn’t the best idea to wander the college campus at 3:00 AM.

"
Looking back, it wasn’t the best idea to wander the college campus at 3:00 AM, but when you're studying late and the munchies call, and you have nothing in your dorm, you kinda can't say no.

I figured that I'd just slip out and make my way over to the game room vending machines. It was a five-minute walk from my dorm, but it was always some of the best food.
The night air was brisk and stung my nostrils as I breathed in and out. I shivered regretting not grabbing a better coat, but I was nearly there so figure it was too late to turn back. So, I continued forward my hands burrowed deeply into my pockets.
I pass the student center, head through the courtyard, turn a corner, and shortly arrived at the vending machine lit only with a single flickering light overhead. 
I inserted some cash and put in that magic letter-number combo that would retrieve to me my prize. The machine kicked to life and I rubbed my hands together for warmth as I waited for it to finish. The bag fell, I promptly grabbed it from the receptacle and shoved it into my pocket. I turning to head back when the light flickered to a halt.
I stared as one by one the surrounding followed suit as the snow slowly began to fall. Left in the darkness of that moonless night I reached for my phone that was sitting on my desk where it was left. My thin coat seeming to help less every passing second, I knew that I had to do something I was going to freeze.

Five-minutes in the dark shouldn't be that bad once my eyes adjust. Yes, once my eyes adjust I should be fine. All around me the world is eerily silent, the only sound my shivering breath in the otherwise desolate darkness. 
It's so cold, I the feel the snow on the back of my neck and shiver harder. I can't wait for my eyes to adjust, I just have to go and hope I can get back. 
I pull my hands out of my pockets remembering my watch. I hit the button the side and a faint glow only bright enough to light the clock face and the snow that fell on top. It wouldn't be nearly enough to light my way, but maybe just maybe if I stuck to my normal pace I could figure out the timing and know when to turn. I reach out for the vending machine so I can find my bearings before starting.   
3:08 AM I start walking fearfully not know what the slight misstep could mean for me.
3:09 AM I turn back on the corner and make my way through what must be the courtyard.
3:10 AM I should be passing the student center. Only 3 minutes and I'll be home 
3:11 AM 2 minutes.
3:12 AM 1 minute.
3:13 AM Probably just a few more feet.
3:15 AM This was supposed to work.
3:20 AM When I eyes adjust I'll be fine.
3:30 AM The snow falling harder To cold to even scream.
3:40 AM I collapse to the ground no longer shivering.
3:50 AM I slowly close my eyes.
4:00 AM...

© 2017 Poppletron


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on October 24, 2017
Last Updated on October 24, 2017

Author

Poppletron
Poppletron

UT



About
Aubrey Allen Poppleton more..

Writing
Nostalgia Nostalgia

A Poem by Poppletron