The Octopus

The Octopus

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

Part of the #BePositiveWriteNow project

"

The once tranquil sea that used to shimmer with aquamarine tones was now a sea of empty barrels.  Each barrel was different in shape and size, and most were weighed down by shells and therefore weren’t being moved on by the current.  To clear the sea for life to flourish, a shell-collecting Octopus was needed to clear them out so that they could float to the surface and the current could carry them away.




However, the Octopus often struggled to empty them, and when she fought with them she got frustrated, and her tentacles swelled up in frustration which meant she couldn’t drain the smaller awkward sized barrels.  


Around the barrels lived colourful Sea Anemones, soulful Squid, jovial Jellyfish and stressed-out Shrimp.  Discerning Dolphins used to pass here too, but that was before the barrels polluted the sea and it became too dangerous.  Being unable to see the Dolphins caused the Octopus further stress because she loved and missed their friendship.  She knew they were due to pass near soon and was desperate to clear the sea for them.  Some of her delicate tentacles showed scars from scraping into the barrels which of course made her swell up.  It was a heinous loop which was difficult to break.




The pressure was on with the approaching dolphins.  The Octopus rose to the surface and watched as the crown of the sun’s head appeared over the distant golden horizon.  The effect on the Octopus was incredibly calming, and she felt soothed.




Deep into the depths of the sea, there was music and conversation.  The stressed-out Shrimp swam passed by the score; Seahorses swam with purposefulness creating a blaze of bubbles in their wake. The Octopus noticed that she felt serene due to the peaceful sunrise in comparison to her tense companions.  An idea began to form in her mind. 


 


Clearing the shells out the easier barrels first, they floated like wooden bubbles to the surface with ease.  Then the Octopus approached the awkwardly shaped barrels.  Taking a deep breath, she squeezed into the first one and immediately crushed one of her tentacles.  Before the swelling took place,  she closed her eyes and pictured the sunrise.  She imagined the sun rising happily over a sea of cerulean blue, filled with her companions swimming safe and carefree, the rays from the smiling sun, beaming down and caressing her with warmth and kindness.



With her mind filled with calm and serenity, the swelling ceased, and she was able to contort a tentacle enough to scoop out the shells and allow the barrel to vanish up to the surface current which would push it to the sandy area called 'The Stranded'.




Feeling more determined, the Octopus tried the next barrel, an even smaller one.  The previous one gave her a bruise, but it also fuelled her desire to clear the sea and to help her companions.  Squeezing a tentacle into the barrel, she gave a sudden wince as a sharp splinter cut her deep.  Without even a look of pain, she once more closed her eyes and went to her peaceful place.  No swelling. And soon the shells were cleared out. 




After what felt like days, she looked up to see the last barrel floating away, and in the distance, the Dolphins.  Success not only for her but her companions.  The shrimp were less stressed, the seahorses a little lazier and relaxed in their swim.  The Octopus swam to the surface just in time to watch the sun dip its warm chin into the distant water, giving her a knowing smile.




Despite forever carrying the scars of the barrels, she knew that if they came back, she would be more flexible than before, and knew exactly how to get rid of them.  She sank happily to the glorious kaleidoscope of colour below and greeted the dolphin. 

Exuberance and strength flowed in each of her tentacles because she had been able to help others by embracing her inner peace.

© 2019 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
These stories are inspired by real people, and are written within 30 minutes or so in front of that very person, with the aim to spread positivity through social media, so please keep that in mind if critiquing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on October 18, 2016
Last Updated on February 19, 2019
Tags: positive, octopus, sea, creatures, nature, dolphins, environmental

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing