A Short Letter Of Thanks

A Short Letter Of Thanks

A Story by #BePositiveWriteNow
"

A young person writes a letter of thanks to someone who has helped them the most through life.

"

The day I realised who I wanted to be was about a thousand days later than I would have liked.  But what’s more important is that I got there.   I reached that moment.  In a battle called ‘school’ which is more ‘The Hunger Games’ than ‘St Trinians’, I emerged victoriously.  I had found my anchor and in doing so had unlocked to key to being happy, or at least, the road to happiness. 


And you were there with me, every step of the way.


But not without scars and scares, discomfort and displeasure.  I remember when you had your head down the toilet puking your guts up, I remember when your first love became first breakup, and you sat wondering why there was a physical throbbing in your chest.  Remember Googling it?  How can a purely emotional connection manifest itself in such a physical way?


I recall the step up from school to university being the loneliest and scariest time of my life.  You might have noticed how my letters to you increased.  Surrounded by strangers who appeared to have it all together, knew what they were doing and were doing it well.  I felt I was in over my head, like a forgotten depth charge from a world war, drowning in a sea of self-doubt and anxiety, the potential to implode at the slightest of knocks was always there.  But you were there, with your strength and courage being my lifeboat to safety. 


The social responsibilities were overwhelming at times, trying to keep up with those around me used up all my energy and good vibes, especially when with those who were black holes in my life.  Remember?  I wrote to you about those people.  They spend all night complaining, taking your wisdom and stealing your positivity (is it theft when you give it away?) only for them to continually pull you down to their level because it’s the only way they will feel good about themselves.  I wish I had realised that sooner too.  They made me battle harder than I should have, and made me stare at myself more than I needed to.  You got me through that.  Your love filled my positive banks better than Duracell ever could.


The day I realised who I wanted to be was the day I realised I didn’t need to write to you anymore.  I was advised to write to you in times of need, and as you know, I wrote and wrote and wrote.  But I never put pen to paper about the good times often enough.


I no longer need to write to you, because your words and strength is always within me, and has gotten me to this point in my life where, although s**t will come my way, although there will be more dark days than a winters night I can handle it.  I can take it.  I’ve got this.  And with every challenge faced and beaten, I will thank you every time, because you are the one who deserves it.


I love you.


From,


Yourself


© 2019 #BePositiveWriteNow


Author's Note

#BePositiveWriteNow
Part of the #bepositivewritenow project, The First Sentence. Be kind!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on January 6, 2017
Last Updated on February 28, 2019
Tags: short story, letter, thanks, school, positive

Author

#BePositiveWriteNow
#BePositiveWriteNow

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
#BePositiveWriteNow The #BePositiveWriteNow project was aimed at spreading positivity throughout the social media universe using the power of writing. I created the idea after witnessing so much .. more..

Writing