Short-forms ∝ Attitude

Short-forms ∝ Attitude

A Story by Prashant Pandey
"

your words reflects who you are!

"
Social media, a way to connect people around the world.  Those who created this virtual world are the geeks, who didn’t connect themselves to outside world until they get succeed. Now when the world is in their hands, it’s maintenance rely on the most challenging creature on the  planet “the human being”. If these websites or applications don’t provide new functionality or updates on daily basis then it is not worth than 2 ₹, use and through pen because of its free service and a challenging environment.
The evolution of human has turned from monkey to man but their behavior is still same as monkeys somewhere. They never get pleased by one thing. Their mind always jumps like their ancestor from one thing to another.
By keeping this thing in mind, that human nature changes very often, the inventors of social media tools, set some special department for mining user’s data. By this, they maintain  knowledge of your likes, dislikes and all other  activities. For regular involvement of users they keep on merging  new options in their tools. They started it with advertisements, promotions, News, job alerts and many more options. It’s not the end here, facebook and twitter both are currently implementing buying and selling options of e-commerce websites on their front page for user’s ease. Now wherever you go, they will follow you.
 It was their efforts to provide us a good facility of interaction from everywhere.
We adopt these facilities and it has totally changed  our life style. A great change can be seen  in our messaging style that now we are habitual of using short forms.
Messages before- good morning, good night, sweet dreams, o my god, take care, goodbye, good luck, I don’t know, what’s up?, I miss u , have a nice day etc.
Messages now-    gm, gn, sd, omg, tc, bc :-p , gb, gl, idk, sup, imu, hand.
It’s good to use short forms because it saves your typing efforts and time. But we should use these appropriately. We should take care of the timing that when or where to use it. We are so habitual of these words that sometimes we use it, but it doesn’t suits to the situation and become formalities.
I was on facebook and get to know that one of my friend got placed in a software company. I typed a message on his chat box “congratulation man! paaartyyyy”.
Reply was- “ty”.
Common man! Does it make sense to say only two characters at this time.
Though I got him, I typed my next msg as,  wat????????
Reply-  thank you bro.

On my birthday my eyes stuck only at one post out of hundreds and that was-
“Hbd”.
 I would prefer not to wish than such a vague message.
You can see many messages of these types very often, which looks very informal. Actually these short forms are very tricky. It reflects your attitude to others. A simple example is a thank you message from E-commerce websites. It always comes with  appropriate words and a good format so that the customer feels happy. What would happen if they send a thank you message like- “ty 4 shopng” . Obviously either you will get offend or you’ll laugh.
I was in a writing competition in Indore where we had to cross check our written sheets. There were many contestants and most of them were teenagers. I got a story written by Yash Jain, a 17 year boy. The story written by him was quite good but he used many words such as “cz, gr8 plc, 4u, plz, and many more. I didn’t find out any other mistake in his story because the flow of story was  very good.
The point here is teenagers are becoming habitual of these words and a little more prone to use it. They always use these words anywhere which is not a good idea.
   
 This one is  the  best :-
msg-  ftbomh.
Me �" what??
Reply- from the bottom of my heart.
Me- oh I see!
Ok, last and recent one. You can see how  people wishes on our national festivals.
It’s not for all, exceptions are also there. Some people generally  uses these omg, tc, wtf, ri8, gn but when it comes about wishing or congratulating someone they never make formalities. A full Good Morning, Congratulations, Many many happy returns of the day, Happy Birth Day, All the best, Thank You and Have a Nice Day,  has totally different impact than those informal short forms.
Using these short forms is not always wrong but sometimes it becomes very informal. A sensible person might use it sometimes but would never use it in formal situations, while other who don’t care of anything, can use it in every situation. In point of fact …
"A Smart person always knows, when to use it and when to not!"

© 2015 Prashant Pandey


Author's Note

Prashant Pandey
Thanks for your glance here.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is funny how human language has evolved from monosyllabic grunts of the caveman to the complex writings of literature and now to text-speak.

Of course as you point out that too has a place. But perhaps the range of linguistic expression gets lost - which is a loss.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I believe these changes are like evolution...like when their was no internet no phone people use to meet personally, then came phone no more meeting each other just conversing over phone, then came text then no more talking just texting and when we became even more tired of writing long sentences we created new abbreviations...my guess is next we might just gesture the phone to send a message :P

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is funny how human language has evolved from monosyllabic grunts of the caveman to the complex writings of literature and now to text-speak.

Of course as you point out that too has a place. But perhaps the range of linguistic expression gets lost - which is a loss.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

love this work of yours.It kinda annoys me too when ppl reply that way.Good sense of humor too.nyc job :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

8 Years Ago

thank you so much :-)
Niceeeee! Keep writing and sharing these stories of yours.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

8 Years Ago

Sure. Thanks for reading.
Splendid! Describing well the use of short forms and bringing to light their appropriateness. Thank you for sharing. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thank you so much Gurleen.
Gurleen Saluja

9 Years Ago

You're welcome.
hats off to you . really very nicely written . I liked your one thing more you know what it is ? I like that you reply to everyone.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thanks for ds appreciation. I reply because someone is giving his/her precious time to my work and a.. read more
Couldn't agree more, this is with out a doubt one of the most relevant obstacles of our age today. Fantastic job bringing it to light. Great write :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thank you :)
truly appropriate composition for this age. We've got so habituated to the short forms that we often tend to forget the context of our writing or even worst, the right spellings :P

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thnx for your review. yes u r right :-)
very nice,the way in which you've inspired,motivated and guided us about the use of short terms is awesome.I think it's a must read for all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

ohh thnx bro.. my post's fate is really good that it has a suprb reader and reviewer.
Prashant Rajput

9 Years Ago

really...is it?
then i'm also very lucky to get a friend like you:-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

540 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2015
Last Updated on January 27, 2015

Author

Prashant Pandey
Prashant Pandey

Noida, India



About
Pass out from NIT Allahabad. Story Writing, Lyrics Writing, Composing,Singing,Guitar playing, Reading and Blogging are the games I play. I am not a professional writer but my writing is from my hear.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..