Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Reading Habits

Reading Habits

A Story by Prashant Pandey
"

Get lost in a good book

"
When I was pursuing my graduation in Indore I got my first novel to read from my cousin. To complete that book of  only 200 pages I took three months because
- This is the first time i tried to read something.
- I belonged to Hindi medium school .
When I completed that novel I felt like I got victory over something. Its quite apparent with every person when he/she attempt to do something which they had not done before and get success in that thing. After that I read three to four books in next few months and what I realize was speed, both in reading and in understanding. Till the end of my graduation I acquired a new hobby of reading books.

Although I am not a millionaire or billionaire, I am just a student but this fact of above image inspires me to continue my reading .  
In July 2012, I came to MNNIT Allahabad to pursue my post-graduation. The environment, people, subjects, food, and competition all were very different. In a month I realized lack of knowledge in me because many times my friends used to had chats and conversations on current topics related to politics, sports, business and whatever happening around us at that particular time. I used to listen to them but was unable to intervene or to put some points from my side and that is just because i didn't know anything about those things. 
Now the question is why?????
Below i have written my routine and routine of few of my friends-
My routine--
attending classes, studying college subjects, listening music, watching movies,net surfing,  facebook and sleeping.
My friends' routine--
attending classes, studying college subjects,  net surfing, music, movies, facebook, sleeping and reading NEWSPAPER.
You can see, the only difference was the big difference. I wrote this habit of my friends in last but this is the first thing of their praxis they use to follow out of their routine. One of my roomie told me to start reading newspaper. At that time he used to read “The Hindu”, best news paper according to him. For the first time I tried to read but didn’t get anything because almost all the information was related to previous news, of which I was not aware. After having glimpse on some pages I left that paper. He was looking at me and was laughing on my act. Then he told me, try to  read it for atleast 25-30 days and even after that if I don’t get it then I shall quit. I adopt what he told me and continued with that.



 In 10 days I was getting the points which they were discussing and the most amazing thing , I was  also able to put some points in between their discussion. After around 25 days it was a habit in me to read the newspaper after awaking. Next year my roomies got changed and newspaper also “The Times of India”. In 3rd year I continued with “The Times of India” and also  downloaded an android app for “The Economic Times ”, It helped me to keep in touch with the industry and Technology as well.


The result of all these reading was not only my betterment and involvement in any random group discussion without intentional preparation but it helped me in my final company interviews also. So these two beneficial  habits of reading books and newspapers I got because of my cousin (Twinkle Dubey) and friends and I learned to follow good advices from people around me. I am sharing this because a great writer and poet Oscar Wilde said-
 “The only thing to do with Good Advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.”
Now I read newspaper and any such informative and factual materials on my regular basis and I am so habitual that I can finish at least one or two “good novels/books” in my travelling time only . 
Finally here is a very good quote from last book I have read “What I did not learn at IIT ” by Rajeev Agrawal, Founder and CEO of MAQ Software.
“The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them. ” 
                                                   --Mark twian (American Author)

Hope this will help some of you to make yourself indulge in this important habit of reading.
Thanks!!

© 2015 Prashant Pandey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

good job . I am also having a habit of reading .I got this habit when I gave my story for the first time for a newspaper .I was checking everyday whether my story have came or not and now I am habitual of reading newspaper. even in morning when I don't wake up then my mother says " preet newspaper aa gya " and I just run out and forget my sleep . you r writing realy very nice .the way you write is awsm I just lost in reading .

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

ha ha nice to listen abt ur wake up call. thanks for reading.
Harpreet kaur bajwara

9 Years Ago

thank you g
Harpreet kaur bajwara

9 Years Ago

for laughing



Reviews

An amazing and inspirational write. Reading somewhere helps inculcate good habits. Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thanks a lot :-)
This was a rather inspirational article and really encouraging. Thanks for all the information.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thanks shivam for reading. :-)
Shivam Murari

9 Years Ago

You're welcome. :)
Shivam Murari

9 Years Ago

You're welcome. :)
this was really motivational.thanks!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thanks for your kind words :-)
prajakta

9 Years Ago

my pleasure..:)
motivational, i don't read that often but i'm surely going to increase my pace.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

sure nd that will definitely improve your writing as well. thnks for your review.
good job . I am also having a habit of reading .I got this habit when I gave my story for the first time for a newspaper .I was checking everyday whether my story have came or not and now I am habitual of reading newspaper. even in morning when I don't wake up then my mother says " preet newspaper aa gya " and I just run out and forget my sleep . you r writing realy very nice .the way you write is awsm I just lost in reading .

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

ha ha nice to listen abt ur wake up call. thanks for reading.
Harpreet kaur bajwara

9 Years Ago

thank you g
Harpreet kaur bajwara

9 Years Ago

for laughing
Awesome prashant. So tru. Was a good read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thnks brother.
great work brother!
Its very difficult to pen down these sort of stuffs atleast to me!
You did your homework pretty well!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prashant Pandey

9 Years Ago

thank you bro.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

669 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2015
Last Updated on March 25, 2015

Author

Prashant Pandey
Prashant Pandey

Noida, India



About
Pass out from NIT Allahabad. Story Writing, Lyrics Writing, Composing,Singing,Guitar playing, Reading and Blogging are the games I play. I am not a professional writer but my writing is from my hear.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..