Two

Two

A Chapter by Pryde Foltz
"

They were tortured until they confessed ... a suspected witch was held under water... if she lived, she was proven a demon’s handmaiden. Death by burning was her fate.

"

II


They were tortured until they confessed. For those who continued to deny their guilt, there was a test, the water test. A suspected witch was held under water. If she died, she was found innocent and buried in sacred ground. If she lived, she was proven a demon’s handmaiden. Death by burning was her fate.” 

Professor Chestermire paused and sipped at his coffee. The students of St. Catherine’s Academy for Girls�"St. Cat�"were studying the witch trials of Europe. Everyone was too worried about the upcoming exam to give any real thought to what they heard. The only sounds outside Chestermire's voice were the low murmur of clicking keyboards, or the even smaller scratch of pen on paper. But Bara, remembering something about her own town’s history, did the unthinkable and raised her hand. Like having just one hair out of place on a thickly-jelled and smoothed head, it instantly caught his attention. 

“Yes, Miss Cavanagh?”

“Didn’t Windfall have its own witch trials?” she asked. 

The question wasn’t met with any real curiosity from the rest of the class. It wasn’t like it was going to be on the test. Keyboards stopped clicking; pens stopped writing. Most of the girls just phased out, but Cassandra rolled her eyes, Louise snorted, and several other Pops, the most powerful clique at school, followed suit by giggling. 

Bara, despite her good looks and money, wasn’t popular. She wasn’t counted among the brains, and she certainly wasn’t a Goth. She had only two real friends: Amy Frank and Colin Van Fitt from the neighboring St. Xavier’s Academy for Boys�"St. X. With friends like Amy and Colin, Bara told herself she didn’t need the rest. Quality over quantity, right? Anyway, that’s what she told herself.

Chestermire laughed good-naturedly. 

“Quite right, quite right, Miss Cavanagh. Salem, Massachusetts is most often remembered for its witch trials of 1692, but Windfall did have its own Petit Inquisition.” 

He paused, taking another sip of coffee. His mug claimed he was the number one teacher. Placing the self-congratulatory cup on his desk, he put his hands into the pockets of his sweater vest, puffed out his sizable chest and even bigger belly, and rocked ever so slightly on is heels. This was a sign: he was about to go on and on�"and possibly�"on some more. Sly smiles crept onto teenage faces. The more time he spent answering Bara’s question, the less time everyone else would have to spend memorizing facts. Forbidden cell phones emerged from bags and pockets; browsers opened to banned websites.

“If I remember correctly. it was five women and one man found guilty. They were sentenced to burn at the stake, except for one. Her, they intended to bury alive.” 

The mention of burning flesh and live burials regained the attention of a few others, Patsy Pillanger among them, the only girl less popular than Bara. 

“Did they really burn them?” she blurted.  

Patsy hadn’t raised her hand. Chestermire narrowed his eyes before answering her.

“There's no record of anyone actually having been burnt or buried. Rumor is some remains were sunk in a lake just north of Windfall, a lake which has since dried up, but I would imagine the townsfolk saw sense before actually putting match to light.”

“Did they really believe in witches?” Bara asked. 

Most of the other girls, realizing no grotesque story of witch burning was to come, shifted focus back to where it had been. The tech-inclined texted or surfed, the brains caught up on homework, and most everyone else drifted back into daydreams. Chestermire might as well have been only talking to Bara. She was the only one listening, but then a small, sparking touch on her shoulder split her focus. Assuming it was Amy, her first thought was to ignore the tap, but there was a second, more insistent summons. 

Bara turned around. A bright glare came through the window. She brought up her hand to shield her face and blinked. The light disappeared. When her vision cleared, there was Amy with her head down in a Math textbook. Amy didn’t look up. She hadn’t tapped her shoulder. 

Okay … maybe someone had thrown a wad of paper? It wouldn’t be the first time. The Pops often used Bara as target practice, but both Louise and Cassandra had their heads down, their concentration focused on their laps. Their hands moved ever so slightly. Then they both giggled, one after the other, obviously texting each other. It hadn’t been them either. 

Bara continued to look around. No one met her eye, and no one seemed to be purposely avoiding it, but there was no way she’d imagined the touch. 

Chestermire’s sharp voice interrupted her thoughts. 

“Really, Miss Cavanagh, you asked the question. It is only common courtesy that you await the answer before turning your attention elsewhere.” 

Bara turned back. Chestermire had grown red in the face, and his thick neck bobbed side to side in his starched collar. He resembled a boiling kettle top. It was hard not to laugh. 

“I’m sorry,” she said, stifling her giggles. “I was distracted. I thought someone tapped me on the shoulder.”

“That could only have been Miss Frank.” 

Amy raised her head. 

“Well, Miss Frank? Did you tap Miss Cavanagh on the shoulder?” 

Amy looked blankly. 

Chestermire’s voice rose in volume. 

“Of course, you didn’t.” 

Somebody quipped, “Barbie was off in her Malibu mansion.” 

“No,” someone else, no doubt a Pop, chimed in. “Her dad lives with Barbie now.”

Ouch! Bara’s parents were freshly divorced and her father newly married to a much younger and blonder woman. Bara was far from okay with it. There were unkind snickers all around. 

Chestermire held up his hand to signal for silence. 

“No, Miss Frank, your interest was elsewhere, as was Miss Cavanagh’s.” He looked pointedly at Bara and asked, “Would you like me to finish?”  

She nodded. 

Chestermire scanned the classroom. Those who happened to be looking up nudged those who weren’t. Electronic devices were put away, browsers closed. All eyes faced forward. 

“Well then,” he began again. “The women were jailed and tortured. The question is why. Did the townspeople truly believe in witchcraft? Witches? Demons?” 

No one responded, and he answered his own question. 

“They may have practiced ancient ways of healing and non-Christian religion, nature worship and such, but communing with the dark side?” Chestermire looked ominously at a few of the Goths, smiled, and shrugged. “I don’t think so. It is far more likely that the townsfolk wanted the wealth the women would lose if they were found guilty. They were all without husband, widowed, or orphaned, and all held property. Greed would seem the obvious motive.” 

He took another sip of coffee and continued on with the lesson. Again keyboards clicked; pens scribbled. 

With the heat finally off, Bara looked back. Amy gave her a sympathetic smile in return. 

The bell rang. Chestermire reminded the class of their upcoming exam and dismissed everyone. The girls began to pack up and exit. The Goths all but flew out of the room, their long black hair flapping like crow wings behind them. Everyone else moved at varying but slower speeds. Bara slid her laptop into her bag and was quickly ready to go. Amy, taking a little longer, had pens, highlighters, and notebooks to put away. 

“I have to go to Tech and sign out a computer,” she told Bara. “Do you want to come with? Then we can go the library?”

Amy finished packing up and headed for the door. Following behind, Bara yawned. 

“You know what? I think I need a coffee.” 

They spoke in hush tones as they walked down the hall. The terrible twins, Cassandra and Louise, watched. They stood near the exit with the other Pops gathered around paying court. It would do no good letting them overhear. 

“You dreamed about him again?” Amy asked.

Bara was having a reoccurring dream about a dark-haired boy. The dreams were usually pleasant enough. Okay, maybe too pleasant. They left her with a sense of longing when she woke and realized he didn’t really exist, but the last dream had been a bit terrifying too�"eyeless doppelgangers and mouths threatening to eat their own faces. Not exactly sweet dream material. Getting back to sleep afterward had been a struggle, and Bara was exhausted. 

“Why don’t I go and get us a couple coffees?” she offered. “Then I’ll meet you down in the stacks.”

Amy agreed, and they separated, going in opposite directions. Bara headed for the exit. Just ignore them. She had to pass the Pops. She stumbled and almost fell. Someone had tried to trip her. She didn’t even stop to try to identify the culprit. Such occurrences were far too common to bother.

“Say hi to Ken, Bar�"beee,” Louise taunted. 

Mocking titters followed Bara down the hall and out the door. They ended with the slam of wood against a metal door frame.



© 2014 Pryde Foltz


Author's Note

Pryde Foltz

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You capture the mentality of the classroom perfectly and what a lesson it is turning out to be ! Lots of little nooks of suspense appearing. Loved it. Penny

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Penny.
Very nice work Pryde. I've gotten through two chapters and plan on reading the remainder soon. Your writing conveys the feeling of self consciousness in a high school setting, along with the excellent story line. I'm new to putting my writing online and found your work is far better than mine. The phrasing and interesting story held my attention and brings about my curiosity to where this is going. Well done. I'll continue to read the remainder. Thanks.

Also, thanks for the friend request. You're my first.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

I am honoured. There are a lot of great people on here, so be sure send out some requests yourself. .. read more
Baily Thomas

10 Years Ago

Welcome. And I will do that. Thanks again.
The use of dialog makes the story more interesting and easier to read. Definitely a plus. The way you described the teacher made me smile because I think we all had a few teachers who made up the conglomerate of this one! So far your book is a good one, Pryde. I prefer reviewing poetry, but I will come back to read more soon. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Lydia for reading and the review. I totally understand where you are coming from. I am st.. read more
Loving this so far, totally has got me hooked. So well written, and very interesting story line. Excited to keep reading

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Cheers, Brittney. I'm glad you are enjoying.
Love the topic and the descriptions. Definitely the kind of book that I would read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Kristin.
This chapter flows well, and naturally. Other than some minor grammar and punctuation errors (third line from the end should have a -'- instead of a -"-), there really isn't anything in terms of content that could be improved. Maybe a another draft or so just to tighten up the language (that's what I usually do, anyhow), but that's about it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you Douglas.
I really enjoyed the use of dialogue moving the story forward - poor Bara I empathize with her. Peers can be so mean - the whole "Barbie" bit. Sounds right on point. You've really captured that whole teen culture - the taunting, the Goths. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thanks Again, TL. And thank you for reading.
I really liked this book so far, for not only had it captured my attention, but throughout the whole thing I saw no grammar errors, which honestly shocked me, because I always find one little grammar error in what I read on here. The only other person who has been able to do this was Nora Duncan. Lol. So I shall be reading more. Would you mind messaging me or sending me a request when you post a new chapter? Please and thank you. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thanks Grey Wolf, and will do.
Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

:3 thank you.
I opened this today and begain to read. I thoroughly enjoyed Ginni and figured why not. The first chapter was captivating, like I was watching a nightmare/gothic/Beatles music video. It seemed to have a little bit of everything. Now please bear in mind I do not normally reviews books, so I might not be very good at this, but Chpater One hooked me good. I had no idea where the story or I were going, but I knew I was along for the ride, so I held on and took in the scenery.

The images that appeared in my mind were filled with fear, unlike that of a normal scream-fest, for there was a certain beauty that followed Bara around. The aura of learning her was a soft blue, I think, light. which mesmerized me. The writing was masterful and your descriptions amazing...to me.

Upon opening this chapter, Chapter Two, I half heartedly expected more of the same but was pleasently surprise to find the school and classrooom abuzz with the different groups of students, clicks, colors and the caricature of the teacher which seems to bring back memories of my school days, sweater vest, monotne speech...yep, been there.

Overall I am enjoying this, as I have come to find I enjoy most everything you post here. I look forward to the next chapter and far beyond as I am now hooked on these people, this place and that which we can not yet see living in your wonderful imagination.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Jack. You always fill me with such a lovely confidence and thank you for taking the time .. read more
Jack...

10 Years Ago

Yeah, now if I could only learn how to spell, I'd be an awesome reviewer. :)
Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

i hear you.
"For what is the strength of a bully but their very weakness- the lack of respect, the burden of a conviction in their heart and the conscience to accept."

"There is a certain fixation in our eyes when we find ourselves dreaming above and beyond the one we love...it's called love.

The feel on this story is intriguing. Setting it in place during high school years made me thought of the days I spent awake. (Mostly slept four years of my high school and somehow got away with a 3.9 GPA I don't know how but lol). From the days of the bullying to just having the backs of a few people I know in life and still have contact with it had me reeling in. I mean I was a bully when I was a kid in an all-boys school. Even after that I wasn't much bullied even when I moved to America. I had people's backs funnily enough that if someone wanted to do something someone would speak up and even though I spoke up for myself some were surprised to know that what I spoke was profound and they stopped bullying me. As a former bully and scrapper picking someone not my size didn't show any proof that I was a man rather I was a jealous little boy.

Back with the story, that last few paragraphs indicating of the eyeless doppelgangers, again I felt a "Hmm, there's something about this I can't put my finger on." Then I question myself, "What if the doppelgangers are but the prep/pop group themselves?" Another view from bullying is that we're those people who do things to gain recognition but really we're not getting it anytime soon because we're really in the lower portion of the food chain. There is a certainty these demons are going to be related to what she might face in the near future only in reality form.

The witch trials, reminding me of how religion didn't consider performing scientific observations and logical reasoning before landing to the so-called truth. For some of them suffered from spoiled food or horrible cropping. The lives killed was definitely unjustifiable as they were just people suffering from hallucinations and episodes of grand/minor delusions.

More so on the boy again, appears too lovingly, the fixation is really in there to make it work but is she dreaming of him too desperately? Or is it that he appears to be of some medium in which he might appear in the story? The beauty of a dream that is vivid (I've had way too many of those.) reminds us that even in the real world there is a pull to fantasy where everything becomes real. However, tantalizing as it may seem, there is a price to pay when we see the reality of a dream to us.

Overall, the plot has moved definitely and in the sense her psyche is somewhat revealed from a mind of a high school teenager. Building up its suspense there will be a connection soon onto which the characters such as Bara and her friends will possibly meet those demons or perhaps Bara alone first. Can't wait for the next chapter. Thank you very much :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Txs Zero. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and there was much for you to ponder on, and now me.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

871 Views
17 Reviews
Added on July 18, 2013
Last Updated on April 20, 2014


Author

Pryde Foltz
Pryde Foltz

Vancouver, Canada



About
My written work can be found on amazon.com https://goo.gl/o8sLUi Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/prydefoltzwriter/ twitter: @Pryde Foltz Facebook: pryde foltz Youtubehttps:/http://goo.gl/Eqx.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..