Ancient Secrets

Ancient Secrets

A Story by Kristen
"

A midrash/short story I had to write for my Theology class. It's easier to understand if you've read 2 Samuel 11 in the Bible, but it's not imperative that you read it. Enjoy!

"

 

The Story of Bathsheba

 

            The sun rose, supported by fluffy white clouds and streaks of pink and orange.  Bathsheba, wife of Uriah, awakened alone.  The days seemed to drone endlessly on without her husband and it was all she could do to hold herself together.  She did her best to occupy herself; she would sew new clothes, bake excessive amounts of food, and walk the grounds of the beautiful palace, but nothing could keep her mind from her husband.  On this clear spring day Bathsheba decided to bathe in the palace fountain, something not totally unusual for her, but something different enough to distract her.  She had no idea of the events to follow.

            An hour later Bathsheba returned to her home, feeling cleansed and tranquil. She went about with her remaining chores of the day and tried to tuck away the worried feeling she had experienced earlier during her bath.  Bathsheba had felt eyes on her as she bathed, making her wary and cautious.  She was used to having people stare at her wherever she went because of her apparent beauty, but it felt different this time.  Almost a little frightening.  Trying to shake off the feelings, she continued sewing the shirt she was working on and hummed quietly to herself.  The pangs of fear returned, however, when messengers from David summoned her to the palace. “What could David want from me?” she wondered to herself as she walked with the messengers up to the palace.  

            Bathsheba could not help but stare at the magnificent palace, could not help but feel a thrill of excitement upon meeting the king.  As she entered a large, ornate chamber, Bathsheba felt the eyes from earlier staring at her once again.  She smiled nervously and her eyes trailed slowly up to King David, sitting lazily upon a large golden throne. 

            “Hello, my young friend.” The deep, powerful voice of David called out to her. Bathsheba swallowed anxiously and replied “Hello,” in a shaky voice.

            “I saw you bathing this morning, my friend. I must say you are quite beautiful.”

            “Thank you, King David.”

            Of a sudden, David slid off of his throne and strode toward Bathsheba. “Would you like a tour of my palace?” David inquired, grasping Bathsheba’s hand.  “O-of course, my king,” she stuttered, staring at David’s hand clasping her own.

            David showed her many of the rooms, such as the grand dining hall and the large bathroom.  Finally, David brought Bathsheba to his chamber, where he made advances toward her.  She struggled to break away, to run as far from David and his palace as possible, but her attempts were too feeble.  David overpowered her and had relations with her and after it was over Bathsheba fled fearfully from the palace, hoping to never return again.

            She trembled as she opened the door to her home, tears streaming down her cheeks.  She felt betrayed by her king, but nothing was worse than the feeling that she had let her husband down.  As she fell asleep that night, all she could think of is what her husband would think of her if he knew.

            Days passed like months, and a few weeks after the events at the palace Bathsheba knew she was pregnant with David’s child.  She had seen her husband since, but she could not look at him without feeling regret for her actions.  Bathsheba sent a message to David stating “I am with child.”

            A few hours after Bathsheba had sent the message to the palace she met and talked with her husband, Uriah.  Bathsheba could not hide her guilt from her husband and finally he asked if something was wrong.  She told him that she missed him too much and lied about everything that had happened over the previous weeks.  Bathsheba knew that if she told her husband what had occurred at the palace he would surely try to kill the king, and even if he did successfully get by all of David’s guards and assistants, she would not want her husband to kill David.  As much as she hated David for what he had done to her, he was still her king and she still had to respect him.  The last thing she wanted was a battle between David and Uriah.

            Bathsheba truly loved her husband, but for the protection of her and David’s secret she alienated herself from him as much as possible.  She made excuses, lied, and did not act like herself around him.  Uriah told her that David had summoned him to his palace and informed him that he was returning to the war.  He knew something was wrong with Bathsheba but did not ask, going off to battle only a few days later.  After a final embrace with Bathsheba he was gone, the horizon swallowing his strong frame.

            News of Uriah’s death reached the palace a week later.  Bathsheba took the news badly, mourning the loss of her husband and her only protector.  When David brought her to the palace and made her his wife her pain only worsened.  Marrying David was supposed to be one of the highest honors, something all women of the kingdom desired, but Bathsheba only wanted Uriah back.  She was reluctant to marry David but could not refuse his offer. 

            The day Bathsheba moved into the palace was one filled with pain and unhappiness.  David greeted her cheerfully, happy that he finally had what he so craved, but noted his new wife’s sadness.           

            “Is there something wrong, my dear?” David asked, helping to arrange Bathsheba’s few possessions.      

            “How is it possible to even start to answer that question?” Bathsheba responded with an icy stare.  David had thought she was too ignorant to know he had been behind Uriah’s death, but he could swear she knew by the way she looked at him.  Discarding his uneasy thoughts, David finished helping unpack Bathsheba’s things and took a walk around the palace, considering what he had done.  Upon returning to the palace later that night David apologized to Bathsheba for everything he had put her through, hoping for her forgiveness.  Though it took her a couple of months to truly forgive him, Bathsheba decided to pardon David and embrace what she had with him, as it was all she had left.

© 2010 Kristen


Author's Note

Kristen
Thank you for reading, leave a review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
Added on April 23, 2010
Last Updated on April 25, 2010
Tags: Bible, Bathsheba, King David, Ancient Israel, Israelites, Theology

Author

Kristen
Kristen

MA



Writing
Cloy Cloy

A Story by Kristen


Inhibitions Inhibitions

A Poem by Kristen