Prologue - Angel Meadow

Prologue - Angel Meadow

A Chapter by Darina Raven
"

Prologue.

"

Prologue

 

Two Years Ago

 

Skye danced across the open meadow, her bare feet landing softly on the grass below her. Whilst spinning, she stretched her arms wide, looking up towards the clear blue sky. She used to come here as a child, and the wind would blow through her hair, making her smile despite the cold. Daisies and pansies would grow in the grass, and she’d lie on the ground, staring into the same clear blue sky.

 

She’d Chosen her name because of the beautiful sky she’d always seen here. Besides all her childhood memories were in this field - the time she tripped and fell in the stream, her first kiss under the oak tree " and her home was just across the lake. Your chosen name is not your true name, but a name you may hide behind, her mother would always say. She was born with the name Alyssa Graves, but after what happened to her mother, she’d Chosen her name earlier than most other Angels. She allowed herself a moment to visit the past, to feel the guilt and sadness that was always inside of her.

 

“Alyssa,” her mother had whispered, “we’re going to play a game. I want you to hide in the loft until your sister comes for you. Okay?” She was only young, and had nodded along, hugging her mother close. There was nothing that would make her let go " she had a feeling in the pit of her stomach - a feeling that something incredibly bad was going to happen.

“I love you ángel, and I always will.” She kissed Skye's forehead and hugged her close, then carried her up the stairs and lifted her to the loft.

“Goodbye, ángel” She whispered, closing the latch on the attic door and leaving Skye sitting on the loft’s window ledge, gazing out into the night at the glowing moon, a tear trailing down her left cheek.

 

Coming back to reality again, and pushing the memory to the back of her mind, Skye sat down on the grass, and hugged her knees close to her chest. Her sudden feeling of pleasure and happiness left her, and she was left feeling sad, and once again, lonely. Her sister Faith had promised she’d meet her in this meadow, and she was ten minutes late.

 

Skye knew better than to worry about her sister.

Faith was always the better Angel. She’d dodged more Lights than most adult Angels, and was amazing at hunting. But nobody could beat Skye’s instincts. She had the amazing skill to sense Lights, and humans from a great distance. She was blessed by the ancient god Karma, the Angel of all Angels.

 

A few moments later, Skye noticed the presence of another being. She turned her head to the right, and saw her sister Faith skip across the grassy glen, her feet bouncing off the beautiful green. Faith’s grin was as huge as the Cheshire Cat’s, and her outfit looked like she’d been pulled straight from Wonderland.

“Skye!” Her sister began, hugging her in a tight embrace.

“Faith.” She nodded, returning the greeting.

Faith’s smile dipped slightly, and concern filled her blazing green eyes.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, knowing that Skye wasn’t feeling good just by one quick glance. Skye sighed, and moved her gaze to a daisy by her foot.

“Mum,” she began. “I miss her so much. She died because of us. Because of me.”

Skye hoped that Faith wouldn’t argue with her this time. Hoped that she would just pull her into another hug and let her feel safe, comforted, protected. But no.

 

Instead, Faith sighed. The two sisters had had this discussion more times than either of them could count. Faith would always say that mum had annoyed the wrong person, and that she was just protecting me from Hunters. Skye never believed this. She believed it was something more than just Hunters coming for her mother and her. She believed it was something deeper, something more important, than that.

 

Mum had always told Skye that if she and her sister continued to argue, it would eventually get the best of them. She’s also said that one day she’d be gone, and that they would have to face the world with only each other for support.

 

Skye wondered if her mum knew how right she was.



© 2011 Darina Raven


Author's Note

Darina Raven
Ignore the grammar problems please, and note that this is still being editted.
I greatley appreciate any constructive criticism. Thank you.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice little short story...even though it's supposed to be a novel. The first para...something about it is jarring, perhaps the use of three "She's" consecutively.

I didn't even notice the person changes...i do them myself all the time. I take a character, third person and then become so involved in him/her that i start using I, i become them. It's a kind of trance.:) lol...im weird sometimes.:)

It's unique. All depends on how you choose to continue this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i like the story, but i am thinking you would like productive comments. flattery never improved my writing, for damn sure. reading the prologue, i was drawn in, which is good, but something was rather distracting. maybe a little more description is needed, and on the other side of the coin, more doing and less telling. i can pass one something that someone told me as well that i thought was good advice, and that is to be careful with prologues. make sure its needed, basically. something to think about later, i guess.
good luck with this, i will come back and read more later.

warren

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think it's a good start and i didn't see anything wrong. Reading onward.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is really well written and you must have updated it because i didnt see it switch from 3rd to 1st to 3rd. it was all 3rd person to me. and thankfully so. longer pieces--novella's, novels even long short stories--tend to work better in 3rd. your voice is constant throughout and the flow is smooth and pleasing to read. you clearly have a talent for penning.

story wise. as this is a prologue, its difficult to judge. once ive read more ill have a bigger picture to look at. that said, this prologue was successful in peeking my interest. you made vague references to 'Lights' and with all the talk of angels theres obviously something beyond the norm going on here and you left me wanting to learn more. so well done there to.

all in all a very professional and interesting write. well done =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice little short story...even though it's supposed to be a novel. The first para...something about it is jarring, perhaps the use of three "She's" consecutively.

I didn't even notice the person changes...i do them myself all the time. I take a character, third person and then become so involved in him/her that i start using I, i become them. It's a kind of trance.:) lol...im weird sometimes.:)

It's unique. All depends on how you choose to continue this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i love please write more of this ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


You only showed me the beginning, this is awesome.
GUESS WHAT?!
It worked... muahahaha. :']

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love it, very well written. But I got a little bit confused, because you went from writing in third person, to first, then back to third.
But it's very good, I'm longing to hear the next chapter. :]

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

358 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2011
Last Updated on February 4, 2011
Tags: Angels, Fallen, Romance, Dark, Love


Author

Darina Raven
Darina Raven

Newcastle, North East, United Kingdom



About
Well, you seem to have found my profile. How did you end up here? Commenting on my story, perhaps? If you're looking for information about me, then I suggest you send me a message. I'm not comfort.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Darina Raven


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Darina Raven