Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Qbjik
"

Prologue of Truel.

"

- Chef! Chef, wait! - the young man tried to catch up with masked shaman in colorful clothes.

- What is it, Kanvan? - old man stopped for a while. He stared at his companion as he catched up.

- I wanted to speak about the beasts... We saw more of them today.

- Let’s have walk.

In the silence of night, they passed gate of their settlement. It wasn’t one of strong stone gates, known to people from main island, it was just simple wooden door, with guard spots on each of sides. The guards nodded at sight of their chef.

As they went away from the settlement, old man ended the silence.

- I didn’t want anybody to hear us, these lands saw enough of blood lately, there is no need for panic just yet - he looked away for a moment - so, what’s new?

- My scouts said they saw more of them on eastern coast of the island. About twenty of them.

- Bloody lizards… That’s second report of their activity this week. Whatever they are up to, it’s nothing good. Did your scouts fight them?

- No, they didn’t.

- Well, we lack the knowledge… but we can’t let any man’s life go to waste. We should observe for now.

Young man nodded. Both him and old chef went a bit more to west, to stand on the nearby cliff. Down ahead of them there was a big jungle. Trees were moving slowly, like it’s the most peaceful place in the world. One could never imagine amount of blood spilled on these lands just few years before. On these lands, the one war ended, just so that another can start. An alliance between two human kingdoms was broken. The war moved away, but it didn’t stop. Even now, far in the distance, beyond the jungle and the sea, the sky was red from fire and spilled blood.

- Do you see this? Red armies are fighting again.

- Will this world ever know peace?

- We can only pray for that - said the old man while kneeling - can you leave me for a moment?

- Of course. I will be right there.

Young man pointed in direction of nearby trees, then moved that way. As he entered the jungle he thought of all soldiers that fought in this war. One night they were united against enemy. The next night they were slaying their brothers in arms.

His trip got stopped by screaming of the chef. Kanvan turned around and ran as fast as he can, back to the cliff. What he saw there, horrified him.

In the light of moon on horizon, the big humanoid creature was holding up his chef. Blood from chest was spilling down on earth. It was that moment, that young man realised that what he supposed to be an arm of beast, was actually a blade. A giant lizard head, was staring right at its prey with blank dark eyes. At first Kanvan wanted to help his leader, but seeing that there is no hope, he decided to back off. He knew he needs to inform others of this. He knew that his tribe needs to deal with giant lizard beasts.

He knew the only man who is brave enough for this.

* * *

Young boy ran after the girl. If they passed any stranger, he would probably think they are just playing. But this time it wasn’t a play. This time they were being chased by soldiers of Eshangard. As they got to a stone road, they stopped for a while.

- I think we lost them. Oh gods, why did they do that? - started the boy.

- My dad always told me the war won’t reach us here.

Indeed it wasn’t an usual place for soldiers of enemy. Both Eshangard and Avergard were located on west part of the island and the home village of kids was far east from Avergard, on the border with so called barbarian’s forest. Aside from spontantaneus visits of local neighbours - who were more of rebels than barbarians - it was a safe and calm place.

- What should we do now? Everybody is probably dead!

- Kayna… Maybe they aren’t.. - boy tried to calm down the girl, but at the same time something big appeared just few meters away.

- Run! - he screamed.

Beast in front of them looked like a bull, standing on his back legs. However, it was bit more humanoid than normal animal. Arms looked just like human ones, but they were unnaturally muscled. In the human-like hand, beast was wielding axe. Eyes of bull were glowing red and seemed full of anger.

Young boy never heard of a being like that. He knew that his chances to survive against it are really low. He wasn’t best at running, and he was young and weak, but his heart was truly strong. He decided to give his friend some time. He stood still for a moment, making sure the beast will follow him. It didn’t take long and bull was next to him, trying to swing his giant axe. Boy jumped to the side, evading the attack, then started running, but beast managed to grab him just few seconds later, then throw him away.

He was lying on the ground, as he saw the big shadow getting closer to him. In his mind, he wanted to be back to his home and parents. Beast was right above him when he heard a sound of cutting air, then a hit. He looked in the face of the brute. He saw a blood coming from top of it, and then beast turned around and moved away.

Boy stood up. Now he could clearly see what happened. In the back of head of bull, there was an axe. Behind it, about ten meters away, there was a man in black armor and black helmet, in companion of two other man who looked like barbarians.

Man drew his sword and shield out. The beast pulled out axe from back of it’s head and gasped softly, as if it accepted the challenge. It started rushing then jumped at the man. Its opponent took lower defensive pose, taking the hit on his shield. Right after it, he used the opportunity to cut through legs of the bull. Beast tried to attack back, but his axe swings didn’t succeed. Regardless armor that human was wearing, he moved really fast compared to big fat monster. Swiftly evading and using opportunities the beast was giving to him, he managed to strike him few times on torso.

The beast kneel in front of him, dropping axes he wielded.

- Die. - said the man, and his sword started burning. Young boy, as much as he was still scared, was amazed at the view of magical weapon. Beast, that seemed to accept its death, suddenly got struck with fear.

- Slayer, avenger! - the beast started to scream, which surprised everybody.

- You talk! What in the world are you?!

- I will tell you nothing! - beast suddenly turned around and started running. It took a second for man to get out of shock. He threw his shield at the beast, causing it to fall on its belly. Armored barbarian went to the beast, and killed it. Dead eyes slowly stopped to glow with red rage.

- Cut its head, we will need it - he said to his companion - You… are one lucky boy. What are you doing here?

- I..I… - he tried to catch the breath.

- You must be from the village. I heard of what just happened. My name is Shabal. I’m leader of… well, barbarians - at the sound of this word, boy shuddered.

- Don’t be scared. We are not like so called nobility tries to picture us.

Boy remembered barbarian visitors coming once in a while to their village. Usually they wanted just food and water, sometimes had some specific needs that village people sorted out for them. It was never a one side profit though. Whenever there were wolves, bears or any other danger, it was barbarians that dealt with it. Kingdom soldiers were always too busy with their war. Barbarians were heroes to many people from village.

- Now… I know how tough it is for you to loss everybody. You see, this black armor is a symbol of my mourning after lost of my parents. They died to beasts like this one - he pointed in direction of dead headless bull - I… Swore to not take off this armor until all of them are dead.

Shabal stopped for a moment. He went back in memories to five years ago, when he was one of higher officers in army of Avergard. At that time, united armies of Avergard, Eshangard and Asanta fought off the beasts. They had many victories over bull-like monsters. In the end of the war, beasts got pushed through jungle island to southern part of it. The outcome of direct fight seemed too risky for generals, so instead of that, they used help of the elves to lock beasts behind the magical barrier. Shabal was the only person against it. He wanted death to every single monster. He knew they are too strong and sooner or later they will find the way out. He and his most trusted soldiers left the island earlier. Next day the war between two kingdoms started. Shabal refused to fight in it. He became judged as a traitor. That’s how his barbarian life started.

- I knew they will be back. But… this was different, stronger than previous ones. If we are supposed to fight them, we will need more allies.

Boy looked confused at the man. To him it seemed like Shabal started talking to himself.

- As for you, boy - he finally said - you don’t have many options right now. I think it’s best for you to come with us.

Young boy nodded.

* * *

A little north from Eshangard, there is an island called Jafnore. According to myths, it’s a place that was created for elves, who wanted to live in peace with wild nature. It’s not a typical place of this world. Travels who came to visit, won’t find a single city there. Instead of that, elves live in houses formed by nature itself. First of them had to occupy caves and tree burrows, but once nature understood their good intention, it started rewarding them with trees that could been easily used as good homes.

Also magic was highly advanced in these lands. Elves spent most of their time on contemplation of mystical powers that surround us. Elves believed in Forest Guardians, old beings who were able to share part of their power with best of them.

There is an old legend, saying that once island was protected by demon, who was not allowing anybody to leave or enter. Nowadays many human travels there to enjoy the views and elven culture. Many elves of more adventurous nature also decided to live on the mainland.

Echar was one of them. He was one of older elves, who always saw more than his homeland island. He formed a group that often got involved in events that changed shape the world. Always staying neutral, he often had to pay the price of it.

But there was not much he could do about human war going on, so at this time he was just sitting on top of his tree, on bench-formed branch. Like usually at that time of day, he was drinking his tea and watching birds flying around. He knew each one of them, as if it was his own family.

He took a big sip of tea, when he noticed a bird that he didn’t know before. It was a falcon, not a typical bird living on Jafnore. Echar put down his cup and stood up. He quickly fixed his blue vesture and moved to the edge of his balcony. Big white-black bird looked proud among colorful little parrots and hummingbirds. Echar wasn’t sure about it’s intentions, but it seemed like it was coming to him. At some point he noticed a letter, attached to the leg of bird.

Falcon landed on the fence and old elf took the letter. He quickly opened it and started reading the words written in chaotic fashion.

Echar!

Your magic didn’t work. Beast are out again and stronger than ever before. We are organising a summit on the Mefla Island. Please come.

Shabal

- It’s impossible - he said to himself. He knew that magic of Forest Guardians - one that was used to create a barrier - is impossible to break by normal beings. Suddenly many thoughts went through his head. Maybe some elf abused power they got. Or maybe it was some Guardian himself. What would happen if back then they would listened to Shabal.

- Thank you, my friend - he looked at the bird. It gave him a deep look, then flew off.

Echar went inside his house. It was little, like most of elven homes. On the left wall, there were shelves full of souvenirs from around the world. Right below them, there was a wooden shape that looked like sofa, with table and two other chairs. Elf passed by and went straight to his chest. There was no time he could waste. He took his sword - a light silver sabre sword with fancy golden engravings, made by blacksmith from Asanta.

Once again, old elf left his home for another adventure.

* * *

Shabal looked at the ship entering the bay. He was standing on a stone cliff, far up the mountain on island of Mefla. The island was shaped like a moon, with big bay inside. Inside there were stationing two ships. One of them belonged to barbarian. It was a three-masted clipper, which Shabal borrowed from his merchant friend. Nearby stationed a long but not too wide ship. It had beautiful paintings and gravelings. From blue and green combination of colours, Shabal could assume that owner of that ship was Echar.

While Shabal was observing ships, a person appeared behind him.

- You did not invite me - the person said, and barbarian turned around. In front of him, there was standing a man in black and white vesture, with hood on his head. On his arms, he had a red scarf. Shabal knew the man. In fact, most of the world did, but Shabal knew him personally.

- Hello Grand Priest. It’s been a while - said barbarian.

- Indeed it was. You didn’t show up for your reward…

Barbarian answered with a short snort and silence. He never was in good relations with priests. Even though thanks to work he did for them, he got promoted in ranks, back in Avergard times, he always felt that it was forced on him. Sorting mess of other people wasn’t really his thing.

- So… Why didn’t I get invited here?

- Because it shouldn’t really concern you. It’s not your problem, priest.

- Isn’t it? I’m head of people’s faith! Everything is my problem.

- Like the war that is going on for last few years? Just few months ago, one of villages got burnt to the ground and most of people got killed. What did you do to stop it?

- I’m not gonna get judged by a barbarian!

- So why do you expect an invitation from somebody you despite so much!

- I… - priest stopped for a moment - I’m sorry. I did not mean it like that. Just believe me, you don’t understand my situation.

- Then enlighten me.

- We cannot get directly involved in this. And neither of sides wants to stop this madness. It feels like there are people behind this all. People who want the war to continue. Some time ago group of neutral traders got killed. They had granted safety from both sides, but yet there were left clear signs as if they got killed by Eshangard soldiers. We did some investigation and… - he stopped.

- What did you find out?

- Well, nothing. There is no sign of anybody having profit in this all. We checked other traders and so on - you know, people tell us things. Nothing.

- So someone just wants the war to continue, with no material profit in this? Some sort of extremists, I bet.

- They clearly work in secret. And they are good at it.

Shabal nodded.

- Well then, the matter I want to discuss might require to unite human kingdoms once again. You are welcome to join our talks, priest.

- Thank you, but you know I would anyway.

Shabal smirked. But it wasn’t really visible behind his helmet.

* * *

After few weeks of waiting, last of ships arrived. Avergard king, Mirus, personally involved himself in this. His main reason for it however, wasn’t discussing important matters with other parties. He wanted to face Shabal personally.

Other attendants gathered around on a stone ground of Mefla. Echar, in company of other elf, was standing near small passage, that could been easly used to escape. He knew it might be necessary, with both Mirus and Eshangard diplomat around.

On opposite side of area, a group of priests - with grand priest in front of them - was standing silently. They were all armed with metallic staves, that usually were just ritualic objects. In fact those were powerful magic weapons, supposed to held a tiny bit of god power inside.

Right next to them, two soldiers accompanied diplomat from Asanta. All three men were wearing blue cloth over their armors, with a gold symbol of anchor. Diplomat seemed calm, as his country remained neutral to everybody, even though many politicians from Asanta wanted to join the war. The king - who was picked by people, not like in other kingdoms by his bloodline - was against it. He didn’t want to risk what was most important for Asanta, the freedom.

Eshangard sent a diplomat with a small army. Everybody was well aware of that, even though on the field there was just one soldier present. In the bay however, there were three big war ships, with hundreds of soldiers present. Some of them were gathered in mountain passages near place where talks were supposed to happen and some of them were archers that were observing the field from above. Diplomat himself was wearing red robe, with a symbol presenting falcon, while soldier had plate armor and helmet.

A tribe from Suna island was represented by one of elders. Since their leader died, elders took over, until new leader is decided. Old man arrived on Mefla with hope for getting some help with lizard-like monsters. A few men in tribe leather clothes accompanied him. In eyes of other soldiers they were a simple targets. But other soldiers never fought them in real battle. They were fast and their spears could easily pierce through even toughest of armors.

Shabal was standing in the middle of the field. None of his barbarians was around. He was sure he won’t get attacked here and that his cause is important to everybody.

King Mirus entered the field. He was a tall man with thick black beard and short hair of same colour. On his chest he was wearing a silver chest. Rest of his body was covered in dark red cloth. Long cape on his back had a symbol of Avergard - a white wolf’s head. With two columns of soldiers with similar capes and dark red heavy armors, he marched straight to the front of Shabal.

- Traitor! - he yelled, while taking his sword out and pointing it at barbarian. For days he was telling himself to not do any emotional reaction. In fact many of his advisors told him that it’s not a good idea to go there personally. But Mirus was a man of action, just like his father and every previous Avergard’s king.

- Fight me, traitor!

- You want to fight me here, on holy island, during peaceful summit, in front of many people - grand priest included? You must care less about your soul than I do.

- Holy island… I would storm gates of underworld just to get every traitor in my hands!

At that moment, grand priest decided to interfere, standing between Shabal and angry king.

- Watch your tongue, Mirus. Ifar is watching and hearing us.

- Is that what he tells you now, priest?

Grand Priest had indeed a power to communicate with human god - Ifar. But ever since the war started, there was not a single word from him. Even though dark times were coming, priest had to keep people’s faith up. So he lied. He lied a lot.

- Yes. It is a place of his birth. He wants it to be clear of the blood.

- Funny! - screamed king - You remember who once lived here, until…

- Enough! You want to kill him, sure. But this is not a reason why we all gathered here. Shabal has important things to say. Things that probably affect everyone of us! So let him talk, or just leave as ignorant.

Mirus was shocked at outburst of hooded old man. For a moment he was tempted to just kill priest instead, but he managed to hold back that urge. He put his sword back to the sheath.

- So… Can you tell me why are we here, priest? - he said, with oddly sudden calmness in his voice.

- Actually… - priest didn’t know the answer. He risked assumption of how important the case must be, just so he can calm down the king - Best if Shabal speaks himself.

Priest moved to the side, letting barbarian speak to everyone.

- As we are done with greetings, I want to move directly to reason why I gathered you all here.

He took a few steps to a nearby stone, and from behind of it, he took a bag, from which he then took out a dead bull’s head and placed it on the stone.

- They are back. This one was found on west border of the forest… barbarian’s forest, as some of you likes to say.

Everybody aside from Echar, who already knew about it, moved a little in shock. A wave of whispers surrounded the field.

- It cannot be… - said Mirus, while getting close to the stone - they were supposed to be behind barriers.

He then turned to Echar and his companion.

- Elves! It’s your magic that was supposed to lock them down! What do you have to say?

- Well, my lord… Without checking the area, we can’t say anything about the reason why barrier got destroyed.

- That’s a nonsense. I bet it’s work of one of you. It was never your fight to begin with, and then that idea with the magic…

- You supported it yourself! - interrupted Shabal.

- Yes I did! It seemed better than losing our last soldiers to it! Now I know, I should never have trusted elves!

- I feel deeply offended by your words. We as race don’t have any interest in your lands. I was there to help you, to help my friends!

- I’m done with you, elf. - said king, while moving to tribe delegates. Soldiers moved in front of him, protecting the elder from direct confrontation - What about you, wild people? Barrier was on your lands. How come that you didn’t inform anybody about this?

- We… Didn’t know about it until now. There was not a single sign of minotaurs in our lands!

- And then they suddenly appear close to my kingdom! I’m sick of this bullshit!

- With all respect, my lord - interrupted diplomat of Eshangard - this isn’t your throne room. Please stop judging everybody around.

- Hah! That’s a good one - said king, moving to diplomat - It is not your kingdom that gets attacked by these beasts!

- With all respect, it was just a single monster. No reason to go to conclusions just yet.

- Listen you… - started Mirus, but then he bumped into protector of diplomat - You stepped into my way, soldier?

Soldier did not answer or move, he just stared into mad king’s face.

- I could easily kill you now. You two think you are safe because you took an army here. But you see, when I noticed your three ships, I ordered my people to spread around the island. For every your archer that is now pointing at me, there is one of my soldier that is pointing at him. Groups in mountains are actually surrounded by my man. As for ships… Well, my ship is in full readiness. I have doubts if yours are.

- King! What did we just speak about! - interrupted priest. Mirus took a step back and turned around.

- That’s why I’m not doing it yet, I just want this dog to know where is his place. - as tough as he seemed at that time, Mirus was in constant fear of being betrayed. Events of the past left a scar on him, one that will probably never go away.

- There is one more thing - said Shabal - the beast I killed. It was talking, and it’s eyes were glowing red. It was also stronger than any other minotaur I was fighting before.

- What can that mean? - asked Mirus.

- Something made them stronger. Whatever it was, is probably also a reason why barrier got destroyed. We need an investigation in that area.

- I will check the area personally - said Echar.

- That’s one thing sorted. But knowledge won’t be enough to defeat them once again. We need to make an alliance, just like back in times. But this time, we kill them to the last one.

- So - started Mirus - you got me here so I join an alliance formed by a traitor, with dogs of Eshangard, untrustworthy elves and primitive blind tribe that allowed enemy to sneak right in front of them… You know my answer.

- Don’t you think it’s time to stop your war? - answered Shabal - There is a greater enemy coming our way.

- I won’t stop until king of Eshangard surrenders to me. I owe it to my soldiers.

- But this war is so long, do you even remember why you fight or did madness took over your mind?

That question triggered the king.

- Ever since this war started my mind is clear as never before. Dogs of Eshangard betrayed us, used fact that many of our soldiers were hurt in fights against minotaurs. It’s known fact that our soldiers are greatest warriors this world knows, but our numbers are slightly smallers. Even then, the only chance those fuckers got was exactly right after our victory!

- There was no order to attack from any of our generals! - yelled diplomat.

- Bullshit! I heard these lies from people higher than you, boy.

- These are not lies. You can’t prove it.

- I don’t f*****g need to prove it to anybody. I’m done with this nonsense.

- Then I ask you just one thing - interrupted Shabal - Me and my people will not be considered barbarians anymore. We won’t be able to fight minotaurs if everything stays old way.

Mirus thought about the answer for a while.

- If you think I will allow you to walk around our cities like it’s your own then you are wrong. However, I will call off the bounty. As long as you stay away from Avergard and our war, you won’t get attacked by us - said king, then he walked away, followed by his soldiers.

- That should be good enough for start. - said Shabal - What about other parties, can I count on your help?

- I’m sorry my lord - started Eshangard’s diplomat - but you probably see that we are busy with our own war.

- But this is war of all of us. You don’t know if minotaurs won’t come to you next.

- With all respect, we don’t know if they will come at all.

Shabal sighed. Eshangard had biggest army and it would been a big help in this war.

- What about Asanta?

- I will forward the word to our council. We need to vote over it first, but I think we will help you.

- Vote, eh - sighed barbarian. He wasn’t a big fan of political system of Asanta - Alright then. Thank you.

Elder from Suna island coughted.

- We would like to help, but - he started - we have our new problems. A giant human-like lizards appeared on our island. Our leader died some weeks ago and currently we are in process to pick a new one.

- Human-like lizards? Sounds like serious problem. Are there many of them?

- We are not sure exactly, so far we noticed them in few places. About forty or fifty of them.

- Hmm, doesn’t sound a big issue for an army. That is, if we get others to help us. Echar - he turned around to the elf - do you think we could get more help from your nation?

- You know how they are - answered elf. Elves weren’t too interested in human lands. Many of them simply didn’t care if these lands get destroyed.

- I know… Well, maybe you can talk them to help us, once you are done with your investigation.

- I will see about it. They would need a really good reason to move out.

Shabal wasn’t too happy with current outcome. On one hand, if Asanta and elves decided to help him, he could easily deal with lizard monsters and get help of the tribe. On other hand, at this very moment all he had was a hope and help from Echar. He thought of what else he can do. Suggesting tribe to leave their land was a tempting idea, but he knew nobody would leave home they worked on for years without a really good reason.

- I think we know what to do then. Elder, I’m sorry that we can’t offer you a help just now, but if everything goes right, I promise you that we will deal with these lizards together.

- Thank you.

- Thank you all for coming here. If there is anything you want to discuss, go on. Otherwise, I think we are good to go our ways.

A silence was the answer.

* * *

Later on that day, Shabal was sitting on his boat, when he noticed movements on the land. From between two big stone blocks - that were only connection between this part of coast and rest of island - appeared a human. That human was a diplomat of Eshangard. Even though he was standing there alone, barbarian knew that there are more soldiers around. He stood up, getting ready for anything.

- I wanted to speak with you personally! - yelled diplomat.

- Then come here - answered Shabal, opening the bridge. Diplomat didn’t really trust him, but he didn’t have much of choice.

- I have an offer from my king.

- What is it?

- My king, Helain, offers a place in our kingdom for you and your people. Of course, that would probably mean a help in battle against minotaurs - my king didn’t know about it, as you didn’t mention it in your letter. My king wants you to do just one task for him…

- What is it?

- Kill Mirus, king of Avergard.

- Hah! Your king fights him for years, what makes you think I can do that?

- You are known for your… skills.

Shabal pondered for a moment. It was a tough decision to make. On one hand he needed more help, on other the task was tough and he would need to join the war, which he always wanted to avoid.

- You don’t have to decide now. Let’s say the offer stays open, just bring our king his head. That’s all.

Diplomat bowed deep down and left the ship, then disappeared between stones. On top of the blocks, something that Shabal thought of as just another stones, just moved away.

* * *

The vote in Asanta never happened. In fact, the message was never deliver. Soon after the summit, an enemy took over Asanta. Years ago, there was a nation who ruled entire land. Their strength came from imbuing their bodies with magic. Thanks to that, they were stronger than normal humans, but what they did, destroyed balance in magic. Lands surrounding them had anomalies, a holes in reality, portals to different worlds. Their presence was summoning monsters. Finally, strongest of mages decided to exile them.

They used magic in pure form to send a wave of energy that would teleport every of imbued humans away to northern islands. That wave needed so much energy, that it killed all of mages who helped in casting it.

Years passed and now native rulers came back to take what’s theirs.

There are rumours of son of last king of Asanta, who survived the attack and with group of refugees, ran into forest south of Asanta. Forest that was home to many monsters from the underground.

* * *

Matrik was sitting in tavern with his friend, Aidan. Opposite to his friend, who likes to wear fancy blue and white robes, with gray cape, Matrik was putting his armor off only in his home. On other hand he hated helmets, he liked to have clearer view on the battlefield. Both of friends were officers in army of Avergard.

- Tomorrow is a big day - started Aidan.

- Another battle, nothing big… - answer Matrik. As opposition of his younger friend, he was tired of never-ending war. He knew the war is just a personal issue of their king, but nobody around seemed to agree with him.

- Another great victory! Why aren’t you excited?

- You will live my age, you will see…

- Aha. This is funny Matrik. You are like this when we talk, but on battlefield you are… the beast! The beast indeed haha!

Indeed Matrik was one of greatest warriors and a good leader. Many of battles were won just thanks to his help.

- It’s on the battlefield. I am a soldier, that’s what I’m supposed to do.

- Yes. Isn’t that great? Fighting for your king…

Matrik didn’t want to argue with slightly drunk Aidan. As much as he didn’t care for king, he also didn’t want to oppose him. He liked his life. And what he liked the most about it, was going to his home.

- I’m gonna go home. I need to rest.

* * *

Months have passed. The boy that once got saved from minotaur, turned into a man. Now he was sitting in front of campfire, watching over his sleeping companions. A bear skin that covered his body, came from beast he killed month ago. That day he became a proper barbarian. He had brown, medium length hair.

He was slightly falling asleep while looking into fire, when sound of cracking branch woke him up.

- Panwarel, for the love of land!

- It’s not my fault, trees here are so small…

Barbarian instantly stood up, dropping bear skin from his back and taking his sword. He observed dark figures coming out of the shadow.

- Hello human. My name is Exoriss. I’m sorry for my noisy friend. He has issue with your trees.

In front of the young man, there were standing two elves. One of them was having short curly brown hair, and weared an elegant robe in colours of blue and green. On his back he had a bow. Other one wasn’t a typical elf. He had about two and half meters of height and body that some of barbarians would want to have themselves. His head however, had elven ears and long blonde hairs, made into a braid. A giant axe on his back and poor coverage of his body, made him even more barbaric looking.

- Oh please, don’t be scared by Panwarel. He is one hundred percent elf on the inside… And just like eighty percent giant on the outside.

- What are you doing here? - asked barbarian.

- Ah yes, to the point… We are looking for Shabal, the barbarian. I assume that’s right place? We are with Echar.

Human knew that name. He knew that his leader was awaiting informations from the elf.

- I will wake up Shabal then - he said, and turned around.

- Wait a minute! - Exoriss stopped him - Before you go… You know our names. It would been nice of you to tell us yours.

- My name is... Mernion.



© 2018 Qbjik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on December 9, 2018
Last Updated on December 9, 2018
Tags: fantasy, barbarians, minotaurs, war, demon, adventure, fighting, magic


Author

Qbjik
Qbjik

Poland



Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Qbjik


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Qbjik


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Qbjik