Welcome To The Circus

Welcome To The Circus

A Poem by Aris

Your mind was the circus; your thoughts the performers and the night was the ringleader, opening the entire spectacle. 

Ironic how the show with no audience and empty seats is more successful than the charade in the sunlight, surrounded by a crowd full of cheers and giggles. 

A sell out.



The human race is a selfish one.

People look for solace in the backs of other people who find alleviation in the arms of another.

They look at your smile to see your happiness when in reality emotion lies within the eyes.

Oh, how the organ used for seeing gets overlooked all too often.

 


And still, the show must go on...



Thought runs around, jumping through hoops engulfed in the flames of doubt.

Depression is a tightrope walker tiptoeing silently;

Slowly through the show with the creation of suspense with every passing minute.

 


Will you make it out alive? Will this be your curtain call?



Insecurity laughs at you with its red nose and snow white cheeks.  

You are the main attraction after all; the punch line to the most amusing joke on earth.

The grandstand lit with the smiles of hundreds of strangers, failing to see beyond the mask, beyond the acting.


You are the closing act, the big bang...

and this...



this is your curtain call.

© 2016 Aris


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on August 9, 2016
Last Updated on August 9, 2016
Tags: circus, depression, alone, loneliness, sad, dark, mask, perform, show, doubt, hurt, pain, poem

Author

Aris
Aris

Cape Town, South Africa



Writing
SHELTER SHELTER

A Poem by Aris


Forbidden Love Forbidden Love

A Poem by Aris