On Tyranny

On Tyranny

A Poem by Quexycyclops
"

Short Essay.

"
Great minds are to make others great. Their superiority is to be used, not to break the multitude to intellectual vassalage, not to establish over them a spiritual tyranny, but to rouse them from lethargy, and to aid them to judge for themselves.

-William Ellery Channing


I am the oppressed, a slave of suppression. We-those parallel to myself-are tyrannized by the degenerate, whose sole desire is to terminate our right of decision and our unhindered independence of spirit. We call upon you, imploring we be granted tolerance and equality. We are greeted by the iron hand of your offensive reign. You pressure not the unyielding, but prey on the defenseless mind of those who would anguish over a stranger's calamity. You have no honor, and you feel no shame. Once we would have embraced you in impartiality, yet no longer are we naive and undiscerning. Your actions once concealed under the guise of good will, they succeeded to our detriment. Your handiwork revealed, we cry unjust! Yet what was once ours is ours no more, our autonomy forsaken; never again shall our voice be heard. The will of the strong dictates over the convictions of the weak; such is the law of nature. What was once taken for granted shall nevermore be acknowledged, for tyranny has no regard towards the sovereignty of singularity.

© 2013 Quexycyclops


Author's Note

Quexycyclops
Give me your honest opinion, the good and the bad. Also let me know if you like this style in general, and if you'd be personally interested in reading more similar pieces in the future. If you review me you may count on me returning the favor.Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It reads like a rebellious speech, despite the use of big, technical words it's still very powerful.
Oscar Wilde was said to make anyone near him feel smarter, funnier and wittier on account of his own genius rubbing off on people, something a lot of the tyrants need to learn.
Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quexycyclops

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it, thanks for your review! Much appreciated. And do the "technical" words take a.. read more
T. Greyman

11 Years Ago

It may for the everyday man, I must admit I struggled a little, but not enough as to have no idea wh.. read more
Quexycyclops

11 Years Ago

Ah yes, you are right. I'm not sure if this essay would feel as strong when reading without, but the.. read more



Reviews

It reads like a rebellious speech, despite the use of big, technical words it's still very powerful.
Oscar Wilde was said to make anyone near him feel smarter, funnier and wittier on account of his own genius rubbing off on people, something a lot of the tyrants need to learn.
Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quexycyclops

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it, thanks for your review! Much appreciated. And do the "technical" words take a.. read more
T. Greyman

11 Years Ago

It may for the everyday man, I must admit I struggled a little, but not enough as to have no idea wh.. read more
Quexycyclops

11 Years Ago

Ah yes, you are right. I'm not sure if this essay would feel as strong when reading without, but the.. read more
As I read this a scene was playing through my mind, let me describe it to you:
A dystopian world, one continued to be destroyed by ignorance. A wisely man reciting this in front of a crowd angered by societies decisions. Spoken with true power and emotion to the all but hopeless faith of a failed species.

On another note I very much like when writing inspires a vision in my head. Fantastic write! Keep it up.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quexycyclops

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! An interesting thought, I like it. When I was writing this I really had nothing.. read more
Questa

11 Years Ago

Anytime :)
I like it i really do! I can tell you put a lot of thought into this. This reminds me of individual people and government trying to inflict their power on those weaker than them. I can't say there is anything wrong with this at all.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quexycyclops

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your feedback! I'm pleased you liked it. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 25, 2013
Last Updated on March 27, 2013
Tags: government, individualism, philosophy, freedom of speech, tyranny

Author

Quexycyclops
Quexycyclops

Appalachia



About
Hello, if you're taking the time to read this then I say well met, fellow writer! I'm afraid most of my writings will be philosophically inclined. Life's greatest questions remain unanswered, so how .. more..

Writing