Suburban Dream

Suburban Dream

A Story by QuietlyCrash

  Once upon a time we were a family of five. Our habitat was the suburbs and we had comfortable lives. 
But our life was a facade, an immaculate dream, though our smiles were wide, nothing was as it seemed. Let me take you back to a cool October night, mommy and daddy were having a fight. What started the fight, well nobody knows. But that night I remember it quickly turned to blows. I sat hurdled on my bed with my sister and brother, if anything happened at least we'd have each other. Daddy called mommy every rotten name and she cried and cried, I could just hear the shame. They screamed and screamed as glass kept breaking, but that's not what exactly had us all shaking. Through gritted teeth I heard my dad's words spew, that he'd end mommy's life and take the kids too. The riverbeds under our eyes leaked, and leaked, but for fear of our lives we didn't dare to speak. Mommy cried and cried until we heard Daddy smack her down, she was quiet for a while in her tears she drowned. I heard daddy  swoop down to pick mommy up around the remains of their shattered "I love you" coffee cup. All was quiet and but we dared not make a sound. For fear the demon in Daddy was still lurking around. The cops never came, the neighbors couldn't be bothered, daddy knew he wouldn't be betrayed by the children he fathered. Within a few hours mommy tucked us into bed, and from that day forward her eyes always seemed dead. 

© 2013 QuietlyCrash


Author's Note

QuietlyCrash
My therapist said months, and months ago to write about the most tragic experience of my life in a letter or a note. I choose a fairy tale, because rhyming makes everything sound lovely right? Sorry if this seems attention whoreish but I needed to get this out of my head, reviews are very welcome :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A story with a poem, fairy tales have always been my favorite type of story telling, this was quite a story-I would break it up into two paragraphs just at the words 'Through gritted teeth' this would allow the reader to pause, and accentuate the finale. It is the best theraphy to write and get rid of all the emotions-it makes for a true author. I hope you keep writing more stories.
Regards
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautifully crafted account of a child's living nightmare. Outstanding job QC

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much BR :)
A very well written piece of prose and he title is very ironic, but fitting. I really like the part of the mother's eyes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I appreciate the review :)
this never went on in my home, but i have known many families who had their share of trauma and drama. hell, i even threatened a friends father once to keep him from beating on his wife, of course, i was never welcome in their home again...men like this should be led out to a pasture and flogged with a chain...then forced to dress like a sissy until they can respect women .....excellent write, i think it would very well ...formatted as verse and posted as a poem!

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the kind review. I totally agree any man who condones "tough love" deserves to.. read more
Wow, this brought tears to my eyes, Riley. :( It's a sad time when the child witnesses something as tragic as this. A young child should never have to witness domestic violence, especially not from a loved one but that's life, it does happen and it's tragic, it's painful and scary to see.

You have written this so well and really got the emotions spot on, you made me feel like I was there and got me all teary. I think this was such a brave, mature thing to do. Sometimes writing out the scariest moments, or about life can help get some of the emotions out.

Wow, I am honestly speechless, well done.

~ Noodle.

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to review this Noodle! I am touched that you like this story.. read more
s y e

10 Years Ago

My pleasure. I know what you mean, but sometimes the best writes are the ones that from the heart. <.. read more
A heart breaking piece on all to common situation.
It's a terrible thing as a child to be exposed to domestic violence and all of the fall out that accompanies it.
A child seeing a side of mom and dad that they really shouldn't have to. A side that as far as they're concerned shouldn't exist at all. But all too often reality doesn't allow us that luxury.

This is a brave piece QC. It goes without saying you need to have lived through and witnessed this to be able to write this. My thoughts are with you, I know it's not an easy thing to have seen. Confusing for a child I know. That's why we write. We write to expel our demons.

I love your writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much for the compliment and the kind review. It was a very awful and dark period o.. read more
Brett Pritchard

10 Years Ago

Absolutely. Cheers! 😉
As children these are defining moments in our lives. A memory they burn into our subconscious and haunts us forever. Management of these is important and I hope that you find happiness and continue to write as an outlet.
A very moving, emtional and frightening piece. Imagery was brilliant and drew me in.
Well done
Regards
Troy

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Troy, I really appreciate your kind words. Writing has and always will be my outle.. read more
Troy Henson

10 Years Ago

Anytime :)
tragic and more prevalent than we hear about. heartbreaking that such a story, well written and phrased, is all too real.

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing, it is an awful thing and I would hate for anyone else to go through it.
We really do absorb everything like a sponge when we are young. This piece made my eyes prickle. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reviewing. I was a little hesitant about posting this because most of what I w.. read more
Angi

10 Years Ago

Some of the best pieces come from the gut.
QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

This is true :)
A very sad story...its a shame when violence happens especially in front of innocent children...but you expressed yourself and I hope the therapist helped with his suggestions...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


QuietlyCrash

10 Years Ago

It really did help. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review :)
SyberRose

10 Years Ago

You are welcome:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
10 Reviews
Added on June 13, 2013
Last Updated on June 13, 2013

Author

QuietlyCrash
QuietlyCrash

Pensacola, FL



About
Hello, so here's the deal. I was placed on this glowing green orb and still trying to figure it all out For the moment most of my writing may be depressing and dark, but that's just because I'm sort .. more..

Writing