Yearning for Time

Yearning for Time

A Story by S
"

Another for my Honors course, fall 2013; 1390 words. The prompt was to write about our stances on where humans belong in nature, inspired by the nature readings we had done.

"

A sharp call rises into the heavens, commanding the attention of all those who will listen.  It curdles the blood of untrained ears, and makes every nerve a live wire of those who are.  It rolls down the mountain with the force of a lahar, echoing through the valley, cushioned by vegetation.  The wind moans its contempt with the world, trees quiver with fear and excitement in wondering if her call will be heeded, and snowy crags set their jaws to wait for what will inevitably come.  Hairs raise, feet stamp, and all know what the eagle’s mournful cry sounds:  the want for Time to return.

Time eludes this call though, looking around at all who need him with sad, wizened eyes, falling stars trailing down his cheeks.  As if moved by another force, Time turns his back on the world once more; the eagle’s call rattling in his skull, imploring him to come back.  Bleary-eyed, he returns to his faded, red velveteen barrel chair, sinking into it with all the weariness in the world, shoulders hunching under the enormity of it all.  Sadly, he knows that this cycle must continue, that he must keep rejecting the pleas for his return.  Sadly, he knows that if time returned to rewind mistakes, they would happen all over again, possibly worse than before.  Sadly, he knows that he must leave time the way it is, and watch the world continue on in a vicious cycle: animals and plants thrive and keep the world in balance, and human-creatures take and destroy to leave this magical place in worse shape than before, and Nature has to keep fighting to right these horrible wrongs.

He wonders why the human-creatures are here in the first place, and what their purpose is.  Despite countless ages and near-infinite wisdom, this one aspect perplexes him.  They evolved on this earth and in the beginning, they respected it and only took what they needed.  As they continued on though, they became merciless and unforgiving, taking what they wanted, even extra and leaving the waste behind to rot and fester like an old wound.  Even further, they invented unreasonable mechanisms for tearing up the Earth even more, not replacing what they steal, and abandoning their exhausted sites like chattel.  He has asked Nature this, and her reply is nearly the same each time: if nature revolts, then there is a risk of losing that very nature and the human-creatures will try to come back stronger…but if nature stands down, then the human-creatures will become arrogant and take even more, leaving less than nothing after their pillaging.  And after each exchange, Time simply sighs, shakes his head, and shambles away, thanking Nature for her thoughts.

Today was no different, and into the chair his tired feet led him.  His left arm folds over his lean abdomen, his right elbow rests on the arm of the chair, his robes falling down to his wrist to expose more of the tattoos that cover his being, marking time, events, and the like.  His worldly eyes gaze at them for a moment before another soft sigh escapes, remembering each one: his birth, Nature’s birth, the Pleistocene, the fall of Rome, the Industrial Revolution, and even yesterday’s carnage.  He rests his temple on the heel of his palm, eyelids fluttering closed.  As they do, his vision blurs and twists, taking him to a new place in a new world… an ideal place in an ideal world…

The vision shifts and spirals around, taking on new hues, sights flashing before his closed eyes.  It lingers over the fond memory of the Native Americans, how they respected the earth, their elders, and Time himself.  They were a lovely people who only took what they needed, and used everything they had.  The image takes a darker turn when the timeline hits 1607, and Jamestown was founded.  So many natives were slaughtered, and the brutal humans�"more like creatures�"took whatever they wanted, having no concern for the consequences.  Just as an axe was about to take another blow to a tree, the timeline zooms forward to about 1760: the Industrial Revolution.  Here, the human-creatures began mining and upheaving the earth in great tons, disrupting the land and animals within.  Time visibly flinches at the sight, not wishing this on any enemy.  A motor starts, producing a black cloud of noxious fumes, staining the air before dissipating into the surrounding smog.

Again, the timeline shifts, and it surges forward into an unknown time, possibly present day, where nuclear power is a commonplace concept.  The human-creatures are joyous at this form of energy, saying that it will solve their problems.  But it takes Earth’s materials to build and fuel them.  No matter how long they last, if there is a meltdown like in Chernobyl of 1986, Zion of 1998, or Japan of 2012, life in all forms would be lost.  And with it so prevalent in this dreamscape, it would be a worldwide disaster.  Even the materials used, once reduced in the reactions, are returned to the Earth and buried deep underground, but there lies a problem: the waste leaks, and it sickens the land, making it inhabitable for anything trying to survive in the little space left that the human-creatures grudgingly leave.  A soft moan at the thought escapes from Time, his slumber restless.  He’s about to wake himself up, but a new peace washes over him as the timeline shifts once more, softer shades replacing the harsh tones.  His breathing eases as a clear, blue sky with lush, caressing, emerald tips.  An eagle’s exultant cry is heard, piercing Time’s core and making his heart leap forward several beats, feeling it soar on mighty wings to join the majestic beast.  He smells clean air, feels no disruption in the order of things, and tastes the freedom that Nature and Life hold so dear.  He wonders why this is, and then he takes a look around.  The entire Earth has not one human-creature on it.  Nothing to taint the imperfect perfection.

Time speeds up and he sees natural disasters unfold, new lives begin, and the endless cycle that simply is.  His mind’s eye halts on the image of a sunrise, the hope that was so dormant in this chest bursting forth, wishing to join the glowing orb in its virgin journey across this new sky, over this new land.  A small smile grows on Time’s face, the first he’s had in a long while.  The timeline bends and contorts in new ways, confusion seeping into Time, wondering what is happening.  The timeline slows and stops, taking on new colors and shapes.  He stops and looks around, seeing the human-creatures, and already dreading what is to come.  But, as he looks harder, all around the world, they’re not destroying.  Most of the Earth has remained untouched, or nearly so.  The human-creatures are helping the Earth and the life on it… Time toys with this idea, turning it over and over in his head.  “Since they are here, I suppose they should only observe, preserve, and protect Nature and help her as much as they can”.  He mulls over this thought, liking it more and more.  The timeline moves a bit faster, just showing this new reality in fast forward, and Time sees himself and Nature and Life completely at ease and keeping the peace where and when needed.  A larger smile forms on his mouth as he sleeps, his expression softened as a peaceful cloak seems to wrap around him, hiding him from the troubles of the world.

The scene fades and flickers, wavering like a flame before Time’s eyes flutter back open.  He looks around, sad to see the dream leave, but his hope for the world has strengthened and is shining brighter than it has in a long time.  He stands, robes swirling around him in an eddy, and he goes to the window, seeing the mountains, the valleys, the animals and human-creatures.  Flitting his eyes around the window, he sees the same scenes around the world, and he sees a new future for all.  With new eyes, he sees the world his dreamscape has showed him, and breathes a deep sigh, the eagle’s cry sounding more hopeful as the wind carries it to him, making his heart soar as well.

© 2015 S


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Can i just say that i love this? i read it like ten times, and enjoyed the ride all ten reads. Very well done :) i'm adding this to my favorites, and sending out read requests.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I'm really glad that you enjoyed it!! And thank you for adding it to your favori.. read more
Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

Any time :) rock 'n roll for life! lol. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 27, 2015
Last Updated on June 27, 2015
Tags: thinking, mountain, leopold, yearning, time, nature, human, life, cycle

Author

S
S

About
Hey! I'm a fifth-year college student who's almost done with degrees in geology and writing, and minors in museum studies and astrobiology. I love the arts and sciences, reading, writing, being in na.. more..

Writing
Inner Flame Inner Flame

A Story by S


Dabbling Dabbling

A Poem by S