Chapter 1: Busy Work

Chapter 1: Busy Work

A Chapter by Rachel

             "You're doing what?!" my boyfriend gasped in horror. His eyes were wide with concern. I knew that this would be a hard arguement to win.A--He wasn't present, as per usual, but in my mind I painted a picture of how it would have been before.

             He would have smiled knowingly, like he had an inkling before hand, like he had already known that you were secretly suicidal. She would have simply shaken her head, incredulous at my audacity. I would hunt the Dark Lord himself.

 

I would find Dracula.

 

           Even as I thought that perilous thought I saw his fear and concern replaced with a blazing determination. A determination that could only hurt my plan. A determination that would make him hard to refuse.

           "No, no you're not."

           Ah, here we go.

           "You're staying here, safe, with me. We'll find her, I swear. Just please, please, don't go."

      His clear blue eyes pleaded with me, mesmerized me. My will nearly broke in that instant. Those eyes made me want to stay. Made me want to stay and wait, and be driven insane by inaction.

           I looked back at him, trying to be cool, trying to be like her.

           "You know we won't find her. Not if she doesn't want to be found, which she doesn't." I felt the coolness, the calm I'd started out with fading. "And I am going."

           He looked at me. I felt the fear, concern, and determination in equal parts in his gaze. He would not be so easily dissuaded.

          "Then let me come with you. Let me protect you."

          "Thrasher, I'm driving myself crazy in here, so I have to go. My cooking to put it mildly has gone downhill a little, so I'm not much help there. I would love for you to accompany me, but as soon as we got anywhere near to the goal, you would freak out and whisk me away to some safe lagoon in the bahamas. I know it would only be for fear of losing me, but I also know it would be inevitable. I am going to look and i'll see you when I'm done."

            What heppened next nearly broke my heart, not to mention my will to leave him here. His face, at first a mask of shock, crumbled. His pain, caused by my seemingly cold hearted rejection, was as harmful to me as any feral vampire could be. I would travel to the farthest ends of the universe and back for him, and he knew it. But his pain was too much. I went to him.

           "No! No, no, no! I love you! I just don't want to lose you. If ...if Drac really is the horror flick stereo type, I don't want to lose you." He looked doubtful. I could see reason may still be a factor in his mind. He was thinking. I looked into his eyes. "Which one of us has a better chance of surviving?"

           "The one that can teleport their way out of danger?" he mumbled. I heard the defeat in his voice. He knew that wasn't quite right.

           "The one who can't really die anyway." I said, holding his beautiful face in both of my hands. He put his hands on mine and kissed me. He wouldn't fight it any longer. My mission was finalized.

 

*****

 

            As I walked to the kitchen, my bags packed, my mind in turmoil about where I should start, I ran into Him. He was getting canollies out of the fridge. The only thing I could still cook right. He looked pale, paler than was usual for a genetically cloned vampire even. He saw me.

           "So. I've heard you've decided to become suicidal." He said this completely straight faced. All emotion drained from him by the absense of his love. The absense that plagued everyone in his castle. The absense of her.

           "Only until my boredom and curiousity have been sated. You look dead, if I may say so. Deader than usual I mean." I looked at him, my features softened by a familiar loss. "We will find her. No, she will come back. It's only a matter of time. I promise." He looked shocked for a moment. A reaction  I seemed to be getting a lot today. But then the wall went up and I saw nothing. He turned and fled from the truth. A truth that would hurt him until it happened. A truth that just hurt generally.

            Then I turned to the kitchen, sighed, and began to gather the herbs and supplies I would need to complete a journey with no time limit. A journey to find a myth.

 

*****

 

            I stood in the entry way, its rounded marble walls resembling the stairwell of a grand church. It was time to go, and for temporary goodbyes to be said. Thrasher was there, along with Cooky and Seath, the most emotionally open of the brothers. They said their goodbyes, and left me to leave. Before I turned to the door, something drew my eyes up. He was there. A darkened figure against the scarlet marble. When he noticed my attentions he vanished. A shape drifted slowly down from the balcony. I caught it as it fell. It was a white rose. A wish for luck, a symbol of hope. He would wait for her. I turned the doors of burnished ebony, and made my way into the very darkness by which She had left.



© 2008 Rachel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

ooh... an exciting beginning to what I am sure will be a wonderful story worth all your hard work! This is a side of the vampire legend I have not seen before, and you have a way of making the reader want to continue. I'm going to keep reading!

ps: I like your vocabulary. You write more intelligently than a lot of others on this site

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

ooh... an exciting beginning to what I am sure will be a wonderful story worth all your hard work! This is a side of the vampire legend I have not seen before, and you have a way of making the reader want to continue. I'm going to keep reading!

ps: I like your vocabulary. You write more intelligently than a lot of others on this site

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gosh this is really a very good story i like it alot again it is pulling me in and I want to read the next piece





Posted 15 Years Ago


i like this...add mas por favor more please ;)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

516 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 2, 2008
Last Updated on December 13, 2008


Author

Rachel
Rachel

Ratcliff, AR



About
Well, I'm ever so slightly insane, to start with. In my opinion, insanity is a necessity for any artist, be they writer, singer, player, or doodle-bug. I love to write, though I often get stuck, and l.. more..

Writing