Prologue: Moon Blossoms and Pale People

Prologue: Moon Blossoms and Pale People

A Chapter by Raewyn Pierce

Prologue

A fat moon bulged in the night sky, pouring soft tones over the garden. As I weaved through the flower beds, my bare feet patted softly against the bricks. I listened as fireworks clapped in the distance, watched as the booms of color flashed over the horizon. The moments in between the explosions were filled with a peaceful symphony of sound. Crickets chirped in the long blades of grass, water splashed in the fountain, and wolves howled somewhere deep in the thick wood surrounding our estate.

 

I tiptoed past a flowering shrub that showcased my favorite night blossom. My eyes scanned the waxy leafs. As a child, the angel’s trumpet held such wonder and mystery. The fragile white chalices would soak up the moonlight every evening, then set it free as the sun began to rise. I pinched a velvet bloom between my fingertips. Mom cursed me for picking them, but I did it anyway. I plucked the blossom from the shrub and tucked it behind my ear.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

My heart jumped in my chest, skimming the back of my throat. My body jerked towards the unfamiliar voice, the quick movement stirring the fabric of my dress around my knees. A man stood a few paces away, naked except for a pair of grubby pants. His skin was pale, glowing like the white flowers. He pressed his lips in a grim line. His dark and calculating eyes focused on my newest hair accessory.

 

“I live here. What are you doing here?” I snapped back, with the brashness of any ten-year-old.

 

“Enjoying a nighttime stroll.” 

 

“Well, you better enjoy it somewhere else, Mister. If my dad comes home�"”

 

“Your dad isn’t coming home.” He folded his arms and called my bluff. “Not tonight anyways.”

 

I mimicked the gesture and stared up at the man, all seven feet of him.”What makes you say that?” I asked, though the stranger was right. Dad was had left that morning on an overnight business trip.

 

“I saw him leave.”

 

“Have you been here all day?”

 

“No.” A smirk stole across his lips, creasing the corners of his mouth. His white teeth glistened under the moonlight. “Tell me little girl, what is your name?”

 

“Arianna Love Preston, but my friends just call me Aria.” I raked dirty fingers through my tangled blond hair, forgetting about the fragile flower. It plummeted through the humid atmosphere with a graceful motion, landing softly on the red bricks.

 

Before I could react, the stranger reached down. He bent elegantly at the waist, much like a prince bowing to his fair princess. Pinching the bloom between his fingers, he offered it to me like a twinkling diamond. “May I call you Aria?”

 

“No, you may not.” I turned around, surprised to discover my brother standing beside the fountain. “You need to leave.” He moved towards us in a heartbeat, positioning himself between me and the stranger. I peered around him, watching the man straighten his posture. He pulled back his shoulders, locked his knees, and pushed out his naked chest. He towered over my brother. He towered over the wormwood shrubs and sculpted topiaries.

 

He glared down at Stephen, his eyes darkening to a sinister shade. “The moon is still ripe, boy.” He stepped towards us. The charming and playful tone had vanished from his voice, growing cold and chilling me to the core. My eyes dropped to his filthy feet, which left muddy footprints across the ground. He clenched his fists, crushing my flower in a powerful grip.

 

Retreating backwards, I pressed myself against the fountain wall. The rush of water filled my ears and the jagged rocks stabbed into my back. “Stephen?” My voice shook. I stared at the ground, watching another grimy foot move closer.  

 

My brother clasped my hand, keeping his eyes locked on the stranger. Come on, Aria. He forced the message through the mental channel that bound us. My mind accommodated the prompt with a pleasant ripple, inspiring my legs to move towards the manor. The gaping doors spilled yellow light onto the patio and beckoned us to safety.  

 

“Aria?” The stranger spoke my name, drilling the fear deeper into my bones.

My entire frame began to shake. I refused to look up, refused to confront the tall man for a second time. Instead, my eyes skimmed the edge of the forest. The darkness was littered with white saucers, pale faces staring after us. The figures began to emerge, one by one. They drifted over the lawn with an ethereal grace, parting through the sea of fireflies. All of them were tall, skeleton skinny in flowing garments.

 

“Aria, come play with us in the forest.” The stranger called after me, still standing amidst the moon flowers.

 

Ignore him. Stephen towed me towards the mansion, his fingernails digging into my wrist.

 

“Jesus Christ, Arianna.” Mom cursed, appearing as a silhouette in the doorway. “Hurry up.” She shouted, her voice hitching on a note of hysteria. Releasing my fingers, Stephen shoved me the last couple feet towards the door. Mom grabbed my arm, tugging me into the manor with a desperate force. I stumbled into the dining room, tears welling in my eyes. “What the hell were you thinking?” Mom scolded me.

 

I tuned her out, my attention flickering back towards the door. Stephen stood on the patio, his arms crossed over his chest. The crowd of phantoms stood around him, amusement glinting in their pale eyes. Stephen spoke, but his voice was drowned out by the hum of central air and the ringing in my skull. “Mom!” I finally yelled. Her mouth snapped shut, but her angry expression made up for the unspoken words.

 

“You stay away from our family.” I could hear Stephen then, hear the confidence resonating in his voice. He took a step back from the crowd, planting his sneaker over the threshold. “Or I swear to God…” He cleared the doorway, joining Mom and I under the brilliant glow of the chandelier. “I will burn down your whole f*****g forest.” He spat the words, striking a nerve.

 

The stranger lunged at him with a snarl, stopping short of entering our house. “You be careful, boy.” The anger leaked through his voice and his gaze flashed to me. Bringing the crushed flower to his mouth, he pursed his lips and blew on the frail bloom. It sailed into the manor, settling on the floor at my feet. “Aria is mine.” He beamed, his green eyes locking on me. A cold fist seized my heart, turning my blood to ice.

 

Stephen slammed the door with a surge of strength, but the man refused to retreat. He lingered outside on the patio, a familiar smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. Mouthing my name, he slammed his hand against the rippled panes of glass. The sound reverberated through me, starting an ugly tremor in my knees. I blinked and a stream of hot tears trailed over my cheeks.

 

“Stephen�"”

 

“Aria, you know better than to go outside during a full moon.” Stephen growled out loud, grabbing my arm and pulling me out of the dining room. I followed without protest, more than willing to escape the curious phantoms peering in at us. Leading me into the dim library, he directed me towards a sofa. “Sit.” He ordered. I obeyed, sinking into the cushions. The rush of adrenalin started wearing off, leaving me shaken and drained.

 

Mom shuffled in behind us and closed the door. A sad look spread over her features, emphasized by the pained quality in her gaze.

 

“We should wait here until dad gets home.” Stephen stalked across the room and collapsed into an arm chair. “He’ll fix this.”

 

“What if they get inside?” I hugged my knees to my chest, staring at the empty fireplace. The stone walls were blackened with soot, the iron cradle hosting a few charred logs from the previous winter. During the summer, the library never saw much activity. It was gloomy and depressing, with heavy curtains over the massive windows. “What if they come for me?” I squeaked, emotion choking off my voice.

 

The question hung in the air, answered by a sudden patter against the hidden windows. It sounded like rain, but we knew better. They were outside. They were coming for me.

 

“They won’t.” My mom drew a deep breath into her lungs and shook her head. “They can’t.” She closed the space between us, settling onto the sofa and wrapping me in her arms. A sob heaved in my throat, dissolving into another wave of tears. I squeezed my eyes shut, inhaling the scent of her perfume and curling onto her lap. “Everything will be fine, sweetheart.” She whispered into my untamed hair, smoothing it out of my face. “Everything will be fine.”



© 2010 Raewyn Pierce


Author's Note

Raewyn Pierce
Please, take a moment to review. Your encouragement gives me the inspiration to continue and your constructive criticism helps me to improve.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very great intro! I can't wait to read the rest! I hope you finish the book bc a lot of people on here don't...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh my goodness! *standing ovation* I looooved that! That was a very enthrawling prologue and I can't wait to read the rest of the story to find out what those phantoms are and what they want of dear Aria. I am going to subscribe to you definitely. :3

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2010
Last Updated on March 13, 2010


Author

Raewyn Pierce
Raewyn Pierce

About
Seven years ago, I started writing a little story about werewolves. A lot has changed, but I have continued to develop it. Characters have earned new names, the plot has evolved, and my writing has im.. more..

Writing