The Beta Force VS Legion

The Beta Force VS Legion

A Story by Michael Gill

The Beta Force

VS

Legion

 

Chapter 1

 

The Beta Force returned to New York in a solemn mood.  Techno had stayed behind to monitor all that had happened to the city of New York since Superior had taken over the world.  “So here’s what’s been happening.”  She began her report.  “Superior has contacted The 12; I was able to intercept their message.”  She typed into the computer and brought the message through the speakers.


Superior:  “I want you to keep The Beta Force busy #1, I’ll have my hands full with The Alpha Squad.”


#1:  “We shall do as you have commanded Superior.”


Superior:  “Who shall you send first?”


#1:  “We will send out…Legion.”


Superior:  “Ah an excellent choice, he should keep them occupied as you gather your forces.”


#1:  “I’ve just been informed that our communication is being intercepted, I’m switching to our emergency channel…”


“That’s all I could get, I was unable to find the other channel.”  Techno explained.


“That’s okay you did your best.”  Boom Box said in appreciation. 


“At least we know whom we are going to be facing.”  Time Out said.


“Yeah but who is this Legion, I highly doubt it’s the same Legion as the one mentioned in The Bible.”  Shellshock mentioned.


“Agreed but it could be a criminal alias for one of The 12.”  Green Defender brought up.


“That’s a good possibility.”  Boom Box agreed, “Why don’t you go see Rhonda’s dad and see if he could help us on that end.”


“I wasn’t quite finished with my report…”  Techno interrupted.


“Oh my bad, please continue.”  Boom Box apologized.


“The police have their hands full right now, with all the prisoners being let out, and there’s been a riot in the streets for nearly the last 24 hours.”  Techno finished.


“Then we best go help them.”  Green Defender volunteered.


“Right, looks like we’re going to have a busy night.”  Plantra sung out as they left.  The fliers took flight and the others climbed into The Battle Van and they hit the streets of The Big Apple.


 

Chapter 2

 

            

As The Beta Force took to the streets, the man whom they knew only by name as Legion was looking around his office.  Statues of different gods of different religions surrounded his office.  He took an item out of his desk, a medallion.  He said an incantation and as he did the medallion glowed and so did the statues.  Then all of the sudden a beam of light came out of each statue and poured its energy into the medallion.  Within moments the statues disappeared and the only one left standing was the man.  “Now all of their powers now belong to me…Legion.”

            

Legion took to the skies to the building where The 12 met.  He stood before them and said, “I have now the powers of different gods within me.”

            

“Will it be enough to destroy The Beta Force?”  #1 asked.

            

“Maybe a little demonstration is called for.”  #2 suggested.

            

“No, we don’t have time.”  #3 interrupted, “The news has announced that The Beta Force has just helped The NYPD with the rioters.”

            

“Now would be the best time to destroy them, while they tired and spent of their energy.”  #4 agreed with #3.

            

“You have heard Legion, now go.”  #1 commanded.

            

“I shall destroy them as commanded.”  Legion bowed and left the building.

            

“Shall we alert #11?”  Asked #5.

            

“Yes, that would be advisable.”  #1 nodded.  “This meeting is adjourned.”


 

Chapter 3

 

The Beta Force was tired; they had spent the last 12 hours helping the police round up all of the rioters.  They placed them in special cells that Techno had made to hold them until the police could process them.  “Thanks for your help.”  One of the police chiefs said to them.  “It would’ve taken us another day or so trying to round up all of them.”


“Glad we could be of help Chief.”  Boom Box said as he shook the chiefs’ hand.  “But it’s been a long 48 hours for us so we’re going to get some rest.”


“Leaving so soon?”  A voiced called out through the streets.  “I was hoping to destroy you.”  Then blasts of lighting struck the cement around them.


“Let me guess, Legion.”  Green Defender assumed.


“In person, and now allow me the honor of killing you!”  He threatened as he shot out lightning bolts out of his hands.


“Take cover!”  Boom Box ordered as the lightning bolts struck Shell Shock!


“I’m okay.”  Shell Shock said giving a thumbs up.  He then picked up a dumpster that he landed next to and threw it at Legion, “Hey Legion catch!”  But the villain dodged out of the way. 


“You’ll have to do better than that.”  Legion taunted.


“Then let’s see how you feel being crushed with my bare hands!”  Micro told him as he grew up to 45 feet tall and grabbed him with both hands.  Legion struggled to get free but thanks to Micro’s ability to enlarge himself also increased his strength.  “Not so tough now are you?”


“Let’s just say…that you are a bit too overconfident…my huge friend.”  Legion breathed and he then had his whole body to begin to glow and turn hot to where Micro’s hands couldn’t hold him no more.  Micro let go of him and Legion shot out beams of light out of his hands and caused Micro to crash against an abandoned building.


Green Defender didn’t waste time as soon as Micro ended up letting Legion go he and the others blasted their stun bolts at him, but the villain absorbed them.  “Thanks for the recharge.”


“Let’s see if how good his hearing is.”  Boom Box thought out loud as he opened his mouth and let out a loud Boom Bastic attack which caused the villain to put his hands to his ears.  He started to lower to the ground to where Green Defender using his speed and strength slammed him to the ground!  Shell Shock followed after and landed a flying punch. 


Legion could feel his power leaving him.  He knew that he didn’t have very much time left.  “I must get out of here and fight them another time after I have absorbed more power.”  He thought to himself.  He took to the sky and left the scene.


“Let’s go after him!”  Shell Shock called out.


“No!  We beat him this round…but barely.”  Boom Box countered.  “Let’s head back to base and regroup.”


“Not only that, but some of us are going to need some medical attention.”  Green Defender looked on.


“You get your people out of here.”   The Chief told them, “We’ll take care of the damage.  Clean-up crews are on their way and should be here shortly.”


“Thanks Chief.”  Boom Box thanked him.


“After all that you guys have done for this city, I’d say cleaning up is the least we can do.”


“Well let’s roll team.”  Green Defender called out, and they all hopped into The Battle Van and headed back to The Beta House.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

The Beta Force returned to their secret headquarters known as The Beta House that was underneath their dorm.  They took Micro to the med lab and Plantra looked on him as the others went to rest.  “So what’s the prognosis doc?”  Micro joked.


“It would appear you have some bruised ribs but other than that, everything else looks fine.”  She answered looking at the X-Rays.  “I’ll tape them up and you are excused from duty until you’re healed up.”


“With that maniac on the loose?  I don’t think so!”  He argued and then grabbed his side from the pain.


“No arguing Micro!”  Plantra countered, “My orders as this team’s medical officer I override…”


“Okay, okay I get the message.  You got anything for the pain?”  He asked nicely.


“Yes, so happens I just finished growing these herbs yesterday.”  She answered and handed him a bottle.  “Take a couple of these herbs with water every 6 hours and get plenty of rest.”


“You haven’t been watching a bunch of doctor movies have you?”  Micro asked.


“No, I’ve been too busy growing these plants…oh nice joke.”  She caught on.


“Well, time for bed.”  He said as he hopped off the bed.  “See you tomorrow.”


As The Beta Force rested from the last two days of battles, their new enemy Legion returned to the loft of his Penthouse.  He went inside was met by #1!  “What are you doing here?”  He asked his boss. 


“Why didn’t you destroy The Beta Force?”  #1 asked him bluntly.


“It would appear I have nearly exhausted all the powers that I have absorbed.”  Legion answered panting.


“That’s your excuse?  You said your power was limitless!”


“I stand corrected.  The medallion didn’t absorb as much as I thought…or…”


“Or what?”  #1 asked impatiently.


“Or there was something wrong with the statues themselves.”  Legion concluded.


“Meaning?”  #1 pleaded him to continue.


“Meaning that the statues were not authentic, which means the real ones are still out there.”


“So what you are trying to tell me is that once you absorb the “real” statues of gods then you will have limitless power?”


“That is correct #1.” 


“Then I shall have our researchers find them for you.”  #1 assured him, “I will contact you as soon as they are found.”


“And until you do, I will rest and research some more on this medallion of mine.”


“Very well, I bid you a good evening.”  #1 said as he left the room.


“The fool!  As soon as he finds me the statues that I am looking for I will absorb them and destroy The Beta Force.  And as soon as I have destroyed them, I will kill #1 and then I will #1!”

 

 

 

Chapter 5

 

The next morning The Beta Force met in their Meeting Room to discuss about their new foe.  “First of all how is Micro doing?”  Boom Box asked Plantra.


“He’ll need at least a week to recover; he suffered bruised ribs from last nights’ battle against Legion.  I gave him some herbs to deal with the pain as well as speed up the healing.”


“This means we will be down a team member, so it’s up to the rest of us to deal with Legion.”  Green Defender stated.


“So where do we go from here?”  Time-Out asked.


“Well thankfully the moron didn’t wear a mask.”  Techno brought up as she passed out photos.


“I take it you were able to identify who Legion really is?”  Boom Box asked.


“You doubt me?  I’m hurt.”  Techno joked, “His name is Gerome Brown…Dr. Gerome Brown to be exact, and he’s an archeologist turn philanthropist.  He was born in 1965 and graduated High School at the age of 15!  Moved his way through college and by time he was 21 he had already earned 3 doctorates.”


“Wow he would give Sparks a run for his money in the smarts arena.”  Aquatrina jested.


“Family life?”  Green Defender asked.


“Born to a couple of hippies who gave him up for adoption, so they could continue their vagabond ways.”  Techno answered.


“Oh how awful!”  Time-Out cried.


“Yeah, all it did was added fuel to his efforts of becoming independent from his adopted parents.  They were Jeremiah and Esther Brown who raised them in a middle class home.  They raised him the best they could be for some reason he found them beneath him.  Especially after he realized that his IQ was above theirs.  As soon as he graduated High School he applied for emancipation and the courts allowed it for he showed that he could handle things on his own.  After he received his doctorates he then received a position for Harvard as the head of their Archaeology department.  During that time he went on many excursions on behalf of the school and found places that were thought gone from the pages of history.


“After he was there for nearly 20 years he sold all of his findings to several institutes across the states and became a self-made billionaire within a matter of a week.”


“But something tells me that he didn’t sell all of them.”  Shellshock deduced.


“Exactly, the medallion we saw him wearing across his neck.”  Techno continued as she passed out several copies of up close photos of the medallion, “The Medallion is called The Eye of Zeus.  It is said that is how Zeus was able to absorb the powers of other gods to punish them and use them for his own, until he decided to give them back.”


“And somehow Legion has been able to figure out how to do it?”  Time-Out asked.


“So it would appear.”  Techno answered.


“So here’s my question, how?”  Detector asked.


“It was believed that when the gods died off their body parts were put into different statues of them.”  Techno told them.  Boom Box and Green Defender stood up together.


“You thinking what I’m thinking?”  Boom Box asked.


“I believe so.  It’s time to see an old friend of ours.”  Green Defender agreed.


“Would you two mind sharing with the rest of the class?”  Techno asked impatiently.


“We might know of someone who could help us.”  Boom Box stated.


“Oh no you don’t mean…”  Aquatrina whined in disbelief.


“Yes, Stretch Jerk!”  Green Defender finished.


“Green Defender and I will go see him while the rest of you patrol the streets.”  Boom Box ordered, and they went their separate ways.

 

 

 

   

 

 

Chapter 6

 

Stretch Jerk was surprised when he was informed that he had visitors.  He had been in his cell awaiting trial, when he had heard that Superior had ordered the governments to release all prisoners he thought that they were going to come for him…he was wrong.  He had contacted Ruthers and asked when they were coming for him.  “My dear boy you are nothing but a pawn, we have no use for a moron like you.  Enjoy your time behind bars.”  On his way to the visitors’ center he could’ve sworn it was members of The Society to kill him.  But instead was shocked to find Boom Box and Green Defender.  “Well this something you don’t see every day.  Of what do I owe the honor of having you two being here?”  Stretch Jerk asked.


“We need some information from you.”  Boom Box told him plainly.


“Well what would you like to know?”  He asked opening his hands showing he was willing to comply.


“Is this the man who hired you to steal the statues a few months back?”  Green Defender asked him.


“Yes that’s him.”  Stretch Jerk answered honestly.


“He’s calling himself Legion.  It would appear that he gets his powers from the medallion around his neck.”  Boom Box pointed to him on the picture.


“Never seen it before.”  Stretch Jerk told them.


“It would appear that the medallion absorbs the powers of the gods from their statues.”  Boom Box told him and he also informed him what they had learned about the statues having body parts of the different gods.


“That’s probably why he wanted me to get those statues from the school museum when you caught me last time.”  Stretch Jerk said.


“Those were pretty big statues you were trying to steal.”  Boom Box pointed out.


“I was to disable to alarm system, there were men waiting outside for me.  But when they noticed that I was in trouble…well you get the idea.”  He then looked at them, “So do I get something in return for my help?”


“We made a deal with the judge.  You not only give us the information but they’ll put you on probation under one condition.”  Green Defender told him.


“And what is that?”  He asked.


“You are to wear a bracelet to track your movements and also to be a member of The Beta Force again until your probation is up.”  Boom Box told him.


“And how long will that be?” 


“The judge offered 4 years.  It’s that or you can stay here for 10.”  Green Defender finished.


“Well sign me up.”  He said standing up holding his hands out to be released.  The guards came up and undid hand cuffs.  Then a Changer was put on his right wrist. 


“The Changer acts also as a tracking bracelet.”  Green Defender pointed out.


“And it can’t be taken off except by three people.”  Boom Box informed him.


“Fair enough, are there any other demands?” 


“Yeah you go by your old code name.”  Boom Box told him.


“I can live with that besides, The Society was going to have me sit here and rot in the cell any ways.”  Justin then told them what had happened.


“Well it seems to us you’re making the best decision.”  Green Defender pointed out.


“Yeah that’s for sure.  So shall we be going?”  Justin asked as they went to sign his release forms.

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

Legion studied more on the information that could help him find the statues that he needed.  After hours of tireless research he had finally found what he needed.  The statues that contained the hearts were statues that he had sold to The USA High of New York.  “That was the statues that fool Stretch Jerk was to get for me.  Well no matter now, I will fly there and absorb them and then finally I will be able a god among men!”  He took off to the museum and saw that it was closed.  He pushed the locked doors open and walked his way through.  He approached the statues, he looked at them in awe, “If I had known the power that you possessed, I would have never let you out of my collection.  But now you will finally serve my purpose!”  He spoke out the incantation and the power from the medallion began to absorb the power from the statues.    


“What are you doing here?”  Dr. Strong-Bear asked as he came into the room.


“Ah a volunteer for target practice.”  Legion shot out a beam of light but Strong-Bear dodged.


“You will find that I won’t be an easy target to take down.”  Strong-Bear told him as he began to grow in size.  As he did so, he activated his Bio-Suit that sent out a distress signal.


Boom Box, Green Defender and Long Yard returned to The Beta House…and there were mixed emotions as they came in.  “What’s he doing here?”  Plantra asked in disgust.  Boom Box explained to them all that had transpired and that Long Yard now is part of the team once again.


“So what you’re saying is as long as he behaves he can stay with us?”  Shellshock asking as he crossed his arms.


“That is exactly what is on his probation orders.”  Green Defender answered.


“Well now with him added to the team along with Strong-Bear that makes us a team of twelve.”  Time-Out did the math.


“Speaking of Strong-Bear he just sent out a distress signal.”  Techno spoke up from the computer center.


“Where’s he at?”  Green Defender asked.


“He’s at The Museum.”  Techno said sadly.



Chapter 8

 

The Beta Force arrived at the scene…a very horrific scene.  The Museum was trashed, and they found Strong-Bear on the floor.  “You all right Strong-Bear?”  Green Defender asked.


“I’ll survive…Legion left you a message.”  He told them before he passed out and returned to normal size. 


“I’m going to take him back to base, Plantra you come with me.”  Green Defender told them.


“What’s the message boss man?”  Long Yard asked Boom Box.

“It says to meet him at one of his old warehouses.”  Boom Box pointed at the address.


“Talk about having the home field advantage.”  Detector stated sarcastically.


“Then the away team is just going to have to come up with a strategy to beat him.”  Boom Box told them as they left.


When they returned Plantra reported saying that Strong-Bear would survive but would need to rest.  “He has several broken bones, which thankfully to his ability to heal he should be healed up within a day or two.”


“Unfortunately we don’t have a day or two for him to heal up.”  Boom Box pointed out, “We’ll have to go without two of our power houses.”


“What we need to do is get that medallion off of him.”  Long Yard told them.


“Yeah but how?”  Jinx asked, “Even with all of us attacking him at one time…”


“Time!  That’s it!”  Techno called out.


“Come again?”  Detector asked in confusion.


“Let’s head to the warehouse and I’ll tell you my plan.”  Techno told them as they left to The Battle Van.

 

 

 

Chapter 9

 

The Beta Force entered the warehouse and kept their eyes and ears opened.  Detector took point with his ability to use his enhanced senses he would be able to tell where Legion could be hiding to ambush them.  He stopped and pointed towards a box, and whispered, “I can hear someone breathing in there.” 


“Shall I do the honors?”  Asked Long Yard.


“Sure, why not.” Boom Box offered. 


Long Yard approached the box as he turned his right hand into a hammer, “Let’s play Whack-A-Mole, and guess what you’re the mole!”  He slammed the hammer down but as he did Legion popped out and blasted him with a ray of light!


“So glad you could come…to your doom!”  Legion greeted them.


“Can’t these villains ever come up with something original these days?”  Jinx asked.


“Right, let’s cream this turkey!”  Shellshock said as he picked up a metal crate and threw it at Legion who dodged but then was hit with blast from Detector and Techno with their stun blaster rifles.  He hit them in turn with lightning bolts which took them out of the picture. 


“Long Yard, Plantra, wrap him up!”  Green Defender ordered.  Long Yard extended his arms and wrapped them around Legions legs, as Plantra threw her vine whips around his arms and they tried to bring him down.


“Are you fools trying to wear me down?  I have limitless power now!”  He spun his body around as fast as he could, causing Long Yard and Plantra to fly across the warehouse.  “Why don’t you give up?”

 

 “You think you’re fast huh?  Then let’s see how fast you really are!”  Green Defender challenged as he flew up to him and began his attack using his speed and strength.  Legion was able to block some of the attacks…but not all of them.  The final attack caused him to crash to the floor where Boom Box ran up to him and hit him with the hardest attack at his disposal.  Legion lit up like a Christmas tree and blasted out a light forcing the heroes to fly to the other side of the room.  Shellshock ran up to him and began pounding him until he wore down.


"Finished yet?”  Legion asked him and then punched the giant hero.  But before he could turn to move onto his next victim who was Time-Out and she blasted him with a freeze ray.  “I can’t move.”


“That’s because you’re frozen in time.”  Time-Out told him. "Now Jinx!"  


Jinx pointed at the medallion and shot it with a Jinx bolt which turned into a toy.


“No!  You can’t do this to me!”  Legion hollered.


“Nice going girls.”  Boom Box told her.


“Just like how I planned it out.”  Techno said walking up.


"Yeah all we had to do was wait for the right moment while we hid out of sight."  Time-Out confirmed.


“You mean you weren’t trying to wear me out?”  Legion asked in disbelief.


“That’s right; we were nothing more than distraction.  Wearing you out was our bluff.”


“Tricked by a bunch of kids.”  Legion hung his head in shame as he was escorted out of the building.


The NYPD was waiting for them and Legion was placed in a police car.  “Well done Beta Force.”  Lt. Brown said wheeling up to them.


“Well he won’t be hurting anyone for a while.”  Green Defender told him.


“What about that medallion of his?”


“It’s going to be sent some place safe.”  Boom Box assured him and they left.

 

 

 

Chapter 10

 

The next day The Beta Force landed in front of Castle Dark-Rider where they knew that The Eye of Zeus would be safe.  They were met by Roy who came up from The Castle.  “Where’s Zendra?”  Boom Box asked.


“She and the rest of them are in Greece for the time being.”  Roy told them and explained what was going on.


“What is this, the attack of the false gods?”  Time-Out asked.


“So it would seem.”  Green Defender concluded.


“I’ll put this in the armory.”  Roy told them.


“Thanks Roy we’ll see you later.”  Boom Box shook his hand.


The remaining members of The 12 met after the defeat of Legion.  “Legion has failed.  Therefore #11 has been selected.”  #1 mentioned to the others.


“What do you call yourself #11?”  #2 asked.


“I’m called The Black Hand!”

 

© 2015 Michael Gill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on November 13, 2012
Last Updated on January 26, 2015

Author

Michael Gill
Michael Gill

Eugene, OR



About
I write Christian Sci-fi stories and am looking forward someday in getting them published for all who wish to read it. more..

Writing